RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Body Side Moldings (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 10:38 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got couple dings on my molding bar already, thanks to other drivers. But the side molding helps. Glad to install it. I think it's the best $100 for the car.
Old 03-29-13, 12:04 PM
AZJoe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although some may not like the look of these, I wish they came standard on all vehicles (or have wider parking places at the mall). Has anyone had experience with DIY application of these? Does the adhesive really keep it on after multiple car washes, hot sun etc. Good luck.
Old 03-29-13, 12:42 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

IMHO, moldings make the car look worse. They also make it more difficult to wash the vehicle. They're a hit or miss (pun intended) when it comes to door dings. From my previous experiences, they are usually a miss, as in you get a door ding anyway.
The best solution I found is to park far far away and in the corner spaces. Me and my passengers get extra exercise, but it is worth it. In the 10 years I had my IS, I only have 2 or 3 door dings. One of them is the compliments of my wife parking the RX too close to the IS and one of the kids slamming the door open right into the IS. Now that the weather is nicer, time to hit a PDR shop and getting it fixed.

P.S.
It took me a couple hours to remount the molding on my IS that started to get loose. So no, I'm not a fan of them at all.
Old 03-29-13, 12:46 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you park where you can get door dings? If the answer is yes, then put them on ... it is that simple. Black will show even minor door contacts. If you use them for a while, you can check them to see if they are working (contact dings on molding). If you change your mind, they can be removed.

Last edited by UCSB; 03-29-13 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-29-13, 01:26 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

I am going to second vlad. I had them on my last car. Don't look as good, harder to wash, and certainly not any guarantee against a ding. It really depends on the height of the door that is going to hit you. The only thing I found useful for them is to protect your own doors in case your own passengers open against something else, and for that door edge guards are better. I don't miss them at all.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-29-13, 02:33 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Default Two years and working fine.

Body Side Moldings (merged threads)-dsc01382.jpg
They have been on this car for over two years and work fine. The only dings have been on them and they are easy to touch up not like touching up the body of the car which you will Always look like it was touched up there. I only hand wash this car so to me it is no big deal to clean with them on the car. The bottom picture in the first post is this RX450h from two years ago.

Last edited by billy44bo; 03-29-13 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-29-13, 05:49 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Congrats on your RX. I'm actually glad side moulding is no longer standard on the RX. It catches lots of dirt. On the 330 I used to spray the hose and watch the crap come out. Now the door is cleaner and cleaner looking IMO. I did have to change the way I wash my 450h, no big deal. Waxing is super easy. And there's always the benefit of extra exercise, LOL!
Old 03-30-13, 04:52 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AZJoe
Although some may not like the look of these, I wish they came standard on all vehicles (or have wider parking places at the mall). Has anyone had experience with DIY application of these? Does the adhesive really keep it on after multiple car washes, hot sun etc. Good luck.
I just put a set on ours which is white. Paint match was perfect. Key to the DIY is to keep everything clean & set aside a couple hours for the first time install. The tape will only stick to what's on the paint, so again, clean is the key word.
Follow the instructions step by step, after you read them from beginning to end. Take the time to get the right measurements marked out on masking tape.
Piece of cake & they do look good.
Old 03-30-13, 05:36 AM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

I also thought about installing the mouldings on my RX, but they don't always work. We had mouldings on our '04 Camry XLE,and all the dings are on top or below the mouldings. My son parks it at the College parking lot.

The local Lexus dealer wanted over $250.00 for the mouldings and installation.I passed on that.
Old 03-30-13, 07:30 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Got my from Sewell tip the guy at the body shop $20 to put them on. they are high enounght on the door to got the dings so far for me..
Old 03-30-13, 02:27 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put them on my last RX, I put them on my present RX and I will put them on my next RX. I like the looks and they have done their job many times over. To each his or her own.....
Old 03-30-13, 03:43 PM
gaylonw
Driver School Candidate

Default BSM is easier to touch up than a ding in the door...

Originally Posted by jclem
I put them on my last RX, I put them on my present RX and I will put them on my next RX. I like the looks and they have done their job many times over. To each his or her own.....
I have BSM's on my FJ Cruiser my RX F Sport, my Mustang and my '96 Landcruiser.
It is much easier to rub off a paint transfer or touch up a chip on a BSM than on the door skin.
In all likelihood, the result of a door ding on the door skin will be a small dent and a chip.
A couple of them randomly spaced on your doors and you have a real mess.
The BSM's on the Lexus are very well done and quite fashionable.......gm

Body Side Moldings (merged threads)-small-pass-side-fs.jpg
Old 03-30-13, 06:39 PM
tnguyen41
Driver School Candidate

My biggest regret after buying my 2013 rx was not installing them as soon as I bought. Was waiting for spring. Well guess what? I just washed the salt and dirt off my car and both sides have scapes where the moulding would go. Very peeved.
Old 03-31-13, 07:27 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My opinion centers around where you have to park. I can see the need to stick the less than attractive side moldings on your vehicle if you live in an urban environment where you are forced to park between cars in tight spots. If you live in a relatively more rural area as I do, the ability to park in end spots away from the other cars eliminates the need for door ding protection.
Old 03-31-13, 08:09 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Opinions aside, it really comes down to peace of mind. You can park well enough away to possibly avoid a ding but that isn't a guarantee. Besides, my wife doesn't believe in this philosophy. She will park as close as possible to her destination regardless of the outcome. With the BSM I have yet to get a ding on the side of our RX450h.

Quick Reply: Body Side Moldings (merged threads)