RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How much can you usually negotiate of CPO price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-13, 02:27 PM
carrwash13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much can you usually negotiate of CPO price?

Just starting to look at a 2010 Lexus RX and debating going CPO/regular used at dealership vs. private party used. How much can you generally tend to get off CPO and just regular used prices at the dealership? I know with new 10-12% off MSRP is a success. Here is the car I am interested in. It is currently $38k on Lexus of portland's website.

http://www.lexusofportland.com/Vehic...-OR/1937694583
Old 03-16-13, 07:57 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

you should get at least $500 off the price. There is no rule on CPO because some dealers price them high, others rock bottom with little neg room
Old 03-16-13, 08:00 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Check Edmunds,KBB,NADA sites to get a better idea. Keep in mind that some CL members are getting 6-7 k off. I also got near 7k off of my 2012 RX last year new. A new comparably equipped RX would only be less than four thousand more than that three year old RX with over 43,000 miles on it. I would try to get it new.
The '10 they're selling should be less than the 37, 700, probably 35 or so.

Good Luck.
Old 03-16-13, 09:10 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New car and used are different, highly doubt you will get 10% off what they are asking for on a used CPO car
Old 03-16-13, 09:14 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't compare the low negotiated price of a new vehicle with the high asking price of a CPO. That would be like comparing a negotiated price on a CPO to MSRP of a new vehicle.

The price they're asking for this CPO is high. I'd be looking to pay around $33-34K for this vehicle. That would make it a good $8K+ less than new, not $4K as previously suggested.

The day after Thanksgiving we negotiated 5% off our CPO. We paid $38K. Considering that is about the asking price of this vehicle, let me point out the differences. Ours had only 14K miles, the Luxury package, and the ML audio. It was pristine. A few weeks prior we were negotiating on one very similar to the one you're looking at here. Same options and around 43K. Asking price was around $35K. They wouldn't budge more than $500. I kept an eye on it online and a couple weeks later they dropped the price to $33,500... only $500 more than the price we originally wanted to pay for it. So that's where I'm basing my $33-34K price for this vehicle.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-16-13, 09:29 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

I tried buying like 3 different CPO RX's but the dealers wouldn't budge on any of them. This was in April of 2012, couple months before the refreshed 2013's hit the showrooms. I actually found them to be overpriced and in horrible condition compared to the ones on regular used car lots.I test drove over 15 before I found and bought mine. I gave up trying to buy a cpo and bought one at a local used car dealership who specializes in both very very high end and low end cars. The one I bought had 21k miles and had more options too. Mine also has the chrome rims. The CPO's had way more miles, less options, and the only thing they had that mine didn't was brand new tires, but mine had over 50% tread left so I wasn't complaining. I paid 2.5k less too. Suggest u look at used car lots then Lexus dealerships for ur RX. Also u shouldn't be paying 38k + for a 2010 with those miles. It should most likely be in the range of 32k - 34k plus taxes and fees. Good luck!
Old 03-17-13, 11:55 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i just got pretty much same package 2010 RX350 yesterday, my got when i bought it 17649 miles on it, clear title, carfax i got it for about 3-4k less than the one you posted, including taxes and all the fees and a low APR, so might wanna try to negotiate a bit, cuz at fight they gave me a full price, and i was negotiating for about 5-6 hours with them, and they dropped it, it took a while, but i saved $
Old 03-17-13, 06:48 PM
carrwash13
Rookie

So it looks like bluebook on this car is around $36.5k which is above the prices most of you have recommended to pay. Is KBB an accurate representation of what i should be paying for a used car or should I be able to pay less?
Old 03-17-13, 08:48 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Prices and competition varies considerably around the country. Some markets, like N CA where I live are very competitive with heavy discounting, others with little or none. Prices even vary at different times during the year. I don't know anything about the OR market and that is really the info that you need. In the end, each used car sale is somewhat unique ... your best approach is to negotiate hard. Leave your name and number with dealers and give the project a little time for prices to come down. Maybe shop at the end of the month on the chance that they want to make a sale before they close out the month. Start looking now and let them know that you plan to make the purchase before the end of the month.

In terms of KBB, they have three prices for used cars: trade-in, private party sale and retail. You should read the detail associated with each class of sale on their site to understand what you should be getting. Understand each of these three classes and use that info to set a target price. You can't use trade-in price for an offer, but it may give you an idea of approximately what the dealer may have in a given car. If I was looking for a used car, I would look at the tires. They really influence the quality of ride / comfort and an area where a prior owner may have skimped.

Last edited by UCSB; 03-17-13 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-18-13, 09:52 PM
thangkuoi
Driver School Candidate

talking about CPO, anyway to day I went to 3 dealership and look for CPO RX350 2011-2012, but wow none will negotiate, they all mention their price is Truecar price so the price is fix. I just walk out
i'm in socal btw
Old 03-19-13, 12:01 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by thangkuoi
talking about CPO, anyway to day I went to 3 dealership and look for CPO RX350 2011-2012, but wow none will negotiate, they all mention their price is Truecar price so the price is fix. I just walk out
i'm in socal btw
Yeah CPO's aren't worth it IMO. Big time rip off. Your better of buying a used RX from a local used car lot and then buying a extended warranty and you'll save money that way if your really worried about your used car and want a warranty after the initial 4 year 50k.
Old 03-19-13, 01:53 PM
zyx345
Driver School Candidate

My experience with CPO RX's in the NY & NJ Tristate and negotiating is +/- $1,000 off the asking price and thats after a lot of back and forth. I should note that I've only negotiated on the non-navigation models. Most Lexus dealers I've gone to have no problem letting you walk out the door based on price negotiations on CPOs.
Old 03-19-13, 07:15 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I felt the same way in CT, I ended up buying mine from a Mercedes dealer
Old 03-19-13, 08:51 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truecar prices are a joke. The prices are hardly fair and from my experience, not the lowest they can go as they claim.

I don't agree that a CPO is a big rip off. The price difference you pay is essentially the cost of that extended warranty. If you're not in the market for the warranty, then of course it's going to seem like a rip off.

All dealers are different. Some will deal on a CPO, some will not. Some will discount new vehicles a lot, some will not. That's one reason these forums are good so we can share our experiences.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-20-13, 02:24 PM
prmdc1
Driver School Candidate

Default My negations

I did not negotiate a price, but put a cap on my payments. I had a trade that I knew that I was going to lose on. I told them that I can go out to 72 months and will go up to X per month including TTL. I knew that my interest rate would be decent. I did not care what the price of the vehicle was, nor what they gave me on a trade, my monthly payments just had to be under X, plus I wanted the NAV updated. It did take a few days of phone calls back and forth until they folded. When I got to the dealer they had done a sealer and some other things to it and tried tacking that on. Those did take the monthly up about $10. I told them thank you, but again I didn't care how it looked on paper but my payments would be under X. I walked out of there with $2 under X. I was HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY.

Quick Reply: How much can you usually negotiate of CPO price?