RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX - Rear Storage Area Cover

Old 03-15-13, 07:39 AM
kirbyskip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 RX - Rear Storage Area Cover

I have a 2013 RX350 and recently took a trip. While having the rear storage area loaded with luggage and other personal items, I realized that, because the storage area cover does not extend all the way to the rear seats, you are now able to see into this space from the outside of the car. From a security perspective, this made me uncomfortable.

In my old 2004 RX330, there was a small flap at the rear of the storage area cover that clipped onto the rear seat head rests. This flap covered the gap that is now exposed in the 2013 RX model.

Has anyone else been bothered by this feature? Any thoughts on how to address it?
Old 03-15-13, 07:52 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, I reported the loss of this flap on the tonneau cover here when I took delivery of my RX450h last June. Unlike most of the 2013s, the backs of my seats still have the little clips that the 2010-12 have, but no flap. I too am disappointed.

From another thread last year, one guy here was irratated enough to buy a 2012 tonneau cover and the clips for the backs of the seats. Cost him in the neighborhood of $300-$500 if I remember right. You'll need to check with Lexus Parts. There is no separate part number for the 2010-12 tonneau cover flap alone.

Me, well, I just live with it, and think about the gap I don't like and Lexus saving a few bucks as a result, every week when I wash my truck.
Old 03-15-13, 08:37 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

As with all other hatchbacks, wagons and SUVs I owned, the very first thing I did was remove the cover and throw it in the basement. Honestly, I don't see it as a security feature. I guess if I carried suitcases full of money, I would reconsider. It also gets my German Shepard more space when he's in the back. Now, that I do consider a security feature.
Old 03-15-13, 09:07 AM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We took ours out too. We may have left it in if the flap wasn't there to be honest. It's a terrible design and with the dark tinted windows in the back I'm not too concerned about people peeking in.
Old 03-15-13, 09:24 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Maybe they took it out because the flap can make noise while driving? They should just redesign the whole thing.
Old 03-15-13, 11:04 AM
kingston11
Driver School Candidate

Yes, they took out the little flap to save money. It is truly irritating. I was the one who got the 2012 clips installed on my 2013 and had to buy the 2012 tonneau cover (was $300 or so) to get the little flap.

If anyone thinks tinted windows prevents someone from seeing what's in back, they are mistaken. We have lots of theft in our area from druggies looking to break in to get stuff to steal. it doesn't matter what the stuff is, they think it may be valuable and want to sell it. Having a completely covered area in the back is one solution for this--they can't see if there is anything in the car and hopefully move on to another car where they can see if there is something in the back.

Lexus is being cheap here on the little flap--but if most of you don't care, then they won't either. Better to save the $0.50 for the plastic and have it go into their pockets.
Old 03-15-13, 12:35 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Took mine out after 2 weeks, those little flaps are noisy devils...
Old 03-15-13, 05:27 PM
tim5055
Rookie

Originally Posted by vlad_a
It also gets my German Shepard more space when he's in the back. Now, that I do consider a security feature.
I have the same security feature, but now have tan and black hair on the ceiling. Really a pain to remove.
Old 03-15-13, 06:16 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by tim5055
I have the same security feature, but now have tan and black hair on the ceiling. Really a pain to remove.
LOL. I have plenty of those in the trunk as well.
I spent one evening with a lint roller cleaning the trunk of the Prius we had, before trading it in. Got most of it out.
Old 03-15-13, 06:18 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone else miss the cover from last generation RX that would retract when the truck was open and also the pop up floor that could hold groceries and store the cover. I have 2010 and the groceries fly everywhere in the trunk. Surprised they did not include a grocery bag hook ;(
Old 03-15-13, 07:30 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice laundry baskets aren't always for laundry . Plus I have the stretch across net that I use a lot.
Originally Posted by satnav
Anyone else miss the cover from last generation RX that would retract when the truck was open and also the pop up floor that could hold groceries and store the cover. I have 2010 and the groceries fly everywhere in the trunk. Surprised they did not include a grocery bag hook ;(
Old 03-15-13, 09:07 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given the number of people who complain about the noise of the flaps or the poor design... given the number of used vehicles that do NOT have the cover... given the number for sale on ebay... I believe they had plenty of reason other than saving a few pennies to remove the cheap vinyl. It's too bad they didn't redesign it so it retracted on both sides. That was the cheap move in my opinion.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-18-13, 04:57 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Everytime I go over a bump the cargo cover in my 2012 RX makes an irritating noise. I guess I will just take it out.I never had a cargo cover on any of my SUV's that I've had.
Old 03-18-13, 05:54 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GoGiantsNJ
Everytime I go over a bump the cargo cover in my 2012 RX makes an irritating noise. I guess I will just take it out.I never had a cargo cover on any of my SUV's that I've had.
FWIW and this may not be your issue -- When my previous 2006 or my current 2013 has a strange sound in the back when I go over a bump, it's always been that I have failed to fully clip one side of the tonneau cover in. I open the hatch, pull the little thumb **** on one of the sides, and "click", in it goes. I then proceed to curse myself out for failing to listen for the click the first time.
Old 03-18-13, 06:18 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by kirbyskip
I have a 2013 RX350 and recently took a trip. While having the rear storage area loaded with luggage and other personal items, I realized that, because the storage area cover does not extend all the way to the rear seats, you are now able to see into this space from the outside of the car. From a security perspective, this made me uncomfortable.

In my old 2004 RX330, there was a small flap at the rear of the storage area cover that clipped onto the rear seat head rests. This flap covered the gap that is now exposed in the 2013 RX model.

Has anyone else been bothered by this feature? Any thoughts on how to address it?
FWIW, when you leave something in the trunk, recline the rear seats as far back as possible to narrow the gap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 RX - Rear Storage Area Cover