RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Questions from an RX 350 "Newbie"

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-13, 07:36 PM
jimmymagic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem with the warranty. Just keep copies of all the relevant paperwork (as I'm sure you would have anyway) and be sure to add the non-Lexus service you had done to the Lexus Driver's website.
Old 03-05-13, 01:42 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Agree with the Toyota servicing. I compare it to buying groceries of the exact quality/brand at a plain looking store with no bag boys versus a premium looking one with extra staff and bag boys. I've done most servicing work at Toyota with past RXs and my CT and will do the same after my complimentary first two Lexus services with the '13 RX. It's generally half to a third the cost minus the perks (full car wash, royal treatment, etc) but with 100% peace of mind knowing my vehicle is being serviced by the parent company with equally capable mechanics.

As a side note, I once brought my '07 RXh to a popular nationwide oil and lube garage chain which I won't mention names, and never again. I had oil and filter changed but as part of their service, they check ALL fluids in the car. I soon would come to realize this was a big mistake on my part. A few days later I had a check hybrid system message appear, brought it to Lexus, and they said the tranny was tampered with and caused damage to a certain part related to the tranny with a setback of almost $1K! My RX was also just out of warranty so thought I was initially going to absorb it all, but the dealer was super nice and managed to convince Lexus corporate to absorb the full cost at no charge to me.

Big lesson learned here and hopefully you benefit from this mistake. I stick to Toyota or Lexus who know the mechanics of the vehicle especially something as complex as a hybrid. If you're like many of us here, once you buy and own a Lexus, you'll soon know why we are repeat buyers to the brand. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 03-05-13, 04:20 AM
eightblack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
OP, do some searches here for floor mats -- people like Husky, Weathertech, and others that come in colors other than black (for sure, "tan" which would be close to your carpet color.) Lots of discussion.

If you want the real Lexus all-weather mat with it's "Lexus RX logo", they only come in black. Sewell generally has the best prices. When you sign-up, enter your Club Lexus ID and you'll start to see their discounted prices. Here is a photo of my parchment interior 2013 RX450h with Lexus all-weather mats. I don't think the black looks bad. Some people do I suppose, but it's interesting that Lexus provided black carpet mats in my RX when I took delivery last year, so the designers must think it's OK.
The problem I have with the heavy duty winter mats (like yours) is that the rear mats "creep" especially with kids climbing in and out all day. I wish they had clips or some sort of fastener to hold them in place. The front mats are fine..
Old 03-05-13, 06:09 AM
Bayman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eightblack
The problem I have with the heavy duty winter mats (like yours) is that the rear mats "creep" especially with kids climbing in and out all day. I wish they had clips or some sort of fastener to hold them in place. The front mats are fine..
Maybe you can try the Weathertech floorliners. They don't move at all because they cover the entire area.
Old 03-05-13, 06:53 AM
kirkw33
Driver School Candidate

So a nerdy techie question - I'm a big iPhone apps guy and listen to it (Spotify, Pandora, podcasts) pretty much daily on the commute. I certainly have seen that controlling the main iPod functions are possible, but has anyone used Spotify / Pandora from the iPhone through the NAV interface? Can you control the functions of those apps from the steering wheel?
Old 03-05-13, 09:10 AM
whoDean
Driver School Candidate

Yes, Spotify and Pandora play fine through the Lexus, you can skip tracks but not change playlists.