RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-18, 05:33 PM
JBen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softest riding tire for 2013 Lexus RX 350

Quietest, softest riding tire for 1013 Lexus RX 350 (18")
Old 06-26-18, 05:59 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

1013? I'd probably go with the OEM factory tire.

The following 5 users liked this post by Bob04:
Jabberwock (06-26-18), JBen (06-30-18), JPJump (06-30-18), Mbodall (06-27-18), SilverRX30 (06-30-18)
Old 06-26-18, 06:07 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
1013? I'd probably go with the OEM factory tire.

Could be funniest post of the year.
The following users liked this post:
glerobi (09-27-18)
Old 06-28-18, 04:19 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I do not understand the attachment to michelins. My dad prefers them and I admit their pricier tires are very quiet and comfortable. However, they wear out so incredibly fast. Their lower end tires wear well but are just as noisy as any cheap tire, and they're still double the price. Believe me, I know...I had Formosa and Hankook tires on my Accord. Both were quieter than the Michelin X Radials I had before them, and lasted just as long.

This weekend I was at my dad's house and I saw that the Michelin Premier A/S he put on both his Camry's were down to the wear bars after less than 25k miles. I had been considering putting Premier LTX's on the RX but that sealed the deal for me. When Discount Tire Direct started their 4th of July sales early, I snagged a set of Continental TrueContacts. Reviewed well, 90k mile warranty, and $768 for 4, down to $548 after all rebates. Almost half the price of the Michelins, with longer wear to boot. We'll see how they do on noise next week, but if they're anything like the ProContacts that are OEM on my Passat, it'll be just fine for me...I will update, if anybody cares
Old 06-29-18, 11:45 PM
RxDuderino
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very pleased with my Pirellis so far. DTD had them for $114 each with free shipping. $70 rebate from Pirelli and $100 rebate from DTD. A fraction of the cost of Michelins.
Old 07-02-18, 07:48 PM
RXRunner
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

We have been happy with the Michelin Latitude Touring HP P235/65-18 tires on our 2010 RX. I am quite surprised on the mileage comments above for wear. I went back and checked when ours were installed. It was December 2014 at 29,800 miles and we just had the 95,000 mile service done last week. We have a little over 65,000 miles on this set. I am very pleased with them. The dealer brought it to my attention that we probably need to replace them the next service or this fall. I will be buying the same tire this next go around. They gave me a couple of tire options that are lower priced. I don't want to risk losing the ride and low noise with a lesser priced tire IMO. My two cents worth.
Old 07-03-18, 08:14 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by N4TECguy
I do not understand the attachment to michelins. My dad prefers them and I admit their pricier tires are very quiet and comfortable. However, they wear out so incredibly fast. Their lower end tires wear well but are just as noisy as any cheap tire, and they're still double the price. Believe me, I know...I had Formosa and Hankook tires on my Accord. Both were quieter than the Michelin X Radials I had before them, and lasted just as long.

This weekend I was at my dad's house and I saw that the Michelin Premier A/S he put on both his Camry's were down to the wear bars after less than 25k miles. I had been considering putting Premier LTX's on the RX but that sealed the deal for me. When Discount Tire Direct started their 4th of July sales early, I snagged a set of Continental TrueContacts. Reviewed well, 90k mile warranty, and $768 for 4, down to $548 after all rebates. Almost half the price of the Michelins, with longer wear to boot. We'll see how they do on noise next week, but if they're anything like the ProContacts that are OEM on my Passat, it'll be just fine for me...I will update, if anybody cares
^Massive agree.
This thread should have its title changed to "blindly follow what Michelin sells you".
The two worst tires I've ever owned have been Michelin. The upgrade to (a substantially cheaper) Hankook Ventus on my rx350 has been tremendous and I'm still singing its praises while I'm in this current road trip.
Aside from Pilot Super Sports, Michelin sucks. Please consider something else.
Old 07-05-18, 10:36 AM
Derek1984
Driver School Candidate

Default Can somebody recommend me some new tires?

First post here...

I have a 2013 RX350 (AWD). It's about time I invest in some new tires. I currently have Michelin MXM4 Primacy P235/60R18. I like them a lot. I've gotten about 40k miles on them. I'm looking for the same kind of tire. Something I could use year-round, decent enough in snow, provide a smooth Touring-type ride, quiet. Any recommendations? I believe they still make the MXM4's. So maybe I just go with them again, although my local Lexus dealer doesn't have them. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-05-18, 11:54 PM
mmahon512
Driver School Candidate

Default Sumitomo Tires from TireRack.com

Last year I bought my wife a 2014 RX350 and it's time for tires it looks like. I can see dry rot cracks and this TX heat is not going to let up. I have never bought tires from tirerack.com. While shopping I found these Sumitomo tires. I've never heard of that brand does anyone have experience w either that brand of tire or w buying tires from tirerack.com?
Old 07-07-18, 05:38 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mmahon512
Last year I bought my wife a 2014 RX350 and it's time for tires it looks like. I can see dry rot cracks and this TX heat is not going to let up. I have never bought tires from tirerack.com. While shopping I found these Sumitomo tires. I've never heard of that brand does anyone have experience w either that brand of tire or w buying tires from tirerack.com?
Tire Rack is great, even for Canadians. I've used them a few times and if I was an American, I'd definitely buy from them.
I can't recall if Sumitomo is Chinese. If so, they still might be decent, but most Chinese tires are still pretty poor. I have no personal experience with them.
Old 07-07-18, 05:55 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ColAngus
Tire Rack is great, even for Canadians. I've used them a few times and if I was an American, I'd definitely buy from them.
I can't recall if Sumitomo is Chinese. If so, they still might be decent, but most Chinese tires are still pretty poor. I have no personal experience with them.
Sumitomo is Japanese, just FYI. Haven't had any experience or even researched their tires. I can't explain why they haven't taken off in America given the Japanese reputation for quality. I think they fall into a bad spot in the middle of the road. They cant get their reputation up there with bigger players, but can't get their costs down to Hankook/Kumho levels (or lower). Just read the Tire Rack test results (if available) and also read some consumer reviews. Put much heavier weight on the reviews with more mileage. Pretty much everybody reviews new tires pretty decently, but as they age, some tires get loud and rough riding. This may not apply to Sumitomo at all, just be on the lookout - I do notice a lot of complaints with Pirelli's getting much worse with age.
Tony29 (08-01-18)
Old 07-09-18, 09:44 AM
erom43
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tire Rack is an excellent tool, but just a tool, not the final word. Look at other sources as well for reviews of the tires you are looking for. Also note that reviews for a specific tire can vary for different sizes, and different cars. Need to look at the specific tire, not just the manufacturer's reputation. Note Tire Rack's rave reviews for the Michelin Premier LTX, which has been criticized on this forum for barely getting half the expected treadwear.
Tracman (07-25-18)
Old 07-27-18, 10:22 AM
Derek1984
Driver School Candidate

Well after weeks of searching I'm going with the Nokian Entyre 2.0. I was all set on either Michelin Premier LTX or the Primacy MXM4 (which I have and love) but money is just kind of tight right now. The Nokians are $170 installed. Both Michelin's would've run me $260 installed. Just too much of a price difference and savings. So any thoughts on my choice? My MXM4's lasted 40k miles. I'm hoping they are close to being as quiet and smooth as the MXM4's.
Old 08-01-18, 01:48 PM
LexigirlVa
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin Lattitude Tour or Premier LTX

Originally Posted by kezgao
I talked to the local Lexus dealer, the mentioned they had to do some warrant adjustments for the Premier LTX due to early treadware. Overall they still recommend the Latitude Touring. I think personally I'll be sticking to the Latitude Touring for my upcoming replacement this spring. They do price match Costco here while providing a free loaner vehicle and free hand wash, so why not.
Original owner of a 2012 RX350 with 142,000 miles. I need new tires and wasn't sure if I should stick with the Michelin Lattitude Tour or switch to the Michelin Premier LTX. I drive in all kinds of weather, traffic, speeds, curvy roads and have been very pleased with the Michelin Lat Tour tires with performance, handling, comfort, noise and wear. I went to a local tire store and was told by their "this man knows everything there is to know about tires" guy who said to buy ONLY the Premier LTX tires because they would give a more comfortable quieter ride just a better tire. I was really leaning that way until he got pushy when I said I don't have a single complaint about the Lat Tour tires and really couldn't imagine a quieter more comfortable ride. He pulled up the Tiretrack.com comparison graph and basically said I didn't know what I was talking about because look at all the reviews for the Premier LTX tires. I left doubting myself and totally frustrated over which tire to buy. Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread and given their reviews. Like Kezgao I decided to call my Lexus dealership and they said the Lat Tour was preferred, the Premier LTX wasn't even on their list. I wish GilIS250 would post an updated comparison of driving on both the Lat Tour and Premier LTX tires.

I will be going with the Latitude Tour for my 4th set of tires, because it has proven itself to me!

Aug 2018 at 142,000 (53,000 miles on the tires) with Michelin Lat Tour
Dec 2015 replaced at 89,022 (38,964 miles on the tires) with Michelin Lat Tour
Replaced OEM Michelin Lat Tour in June 2014 at 50,058 miles with Michelin Lat Tour
glerobi (09-27-18)
Old 08-01-18, 02:26 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by kjay83
I found this chart from TireRack very helpful in deciding what I will purchase.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...utoModClar=AWD
Wow, GoodYear TrippleTreds made a second place. As I already posted, they were so horrible, I was really glad Sam's gave me a full refund toward Michelin Premier TLX tires.
20K so far on them and they are still awesome. I can see the groves expanding now as they wear, which is a built-in feature for consistent road grip throughout tire age.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread