RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Any "Guys" Driving the RX as their Primary Car ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-13, 07:01 PM
dwlink
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The missus is the primary driver of our RX although I certainly don't mind driving it. I think the 2nd gen RX looks a bit feminine, but the 3rd gen is a bit more neutral - especially the LCI models with the new front bumper cover.
Old 02-14-13, 07:37 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Beski
OK, I need some help from the Guys out there..........
.. I have recently heard some comments that the RX was really designed as a Woman's SUV and one of the Review sites (not sure which, maybe Edmunds or Motor Trend) said it's the perfect "Soccer Mom's Car !!" Then my wife just said the RX is not "Manly" enough for me (at least that's a compliment that she thinks I'm Manly !!)

Not that I should ever care what anybody thinks when I am the one paying for a $50k car, but just wanted to hear from the Guys out there driving the RX as their Primary Car. Please help convince me this is the "Manly SUV for Me" !!!

Thanks,
Tom
I am about same age, and driving RX as primary vehicle-I am making a few short trips around town (job-related), and I am leaving the vehicle for 40-50 min outside of clients' homes; the white reflects the sun a lot better then dark colors-I definitely felt the difference last summer.
RX does not have good handling, but does well on bad, bumpy roads.

I like how my wife's Q5 handles, but we both get low back pain while driving it-its got stiff suspension, and hard seats...
I loved the seats in LR2, and it had very good balance of handling vs. comfort, excellent AWD system-but I saw the dealer 18 times in 4 years (not counting maintenance)

Without knowing your driving habits, where and how much you'd be driving it is difficult to give advise...
Old 02-15-13, 09:23 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My RX450h F Sport is a primary car. I sometimes take my wife's Merc C220 cdi when the weathers bad because shes afraid of rear wheel drive cars on snow but I drive my RX450h every day.
Old 02-15-13, 09:59 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm a 50+ year-old male who drives a 2013 RX450h as my primary vehicle. I've continuously owned an RX as my primary ride since my RX300 in 1999 and have never considered it a bad decision. It's a great every-day truck, has worked well for family situations when I need to haul people, my dog, or stuff from the local home improvement center. It has occasionally hauled business associates, my boss and their bosses, as well as customers about. It's stylish, exudes class, is reliable, and gets the job done. While there may be those that think it's feminine -- and trust me, I've read their comments for years, I have never once had that opinion expressed to me personally by someone that I care about.

Make the decision that feels right for you. If you select an RX, I'm sure you'll be proud of your decision and love every hour behind the wheel.
Old 02-15-13, 12:08 PM
jmhenrie
Driver School Candidate

i be 55 and drive my 450h daily, i like the looks one of my friends wives told me i bought an old persons car when she first saw it...........................
cheers
Mike
Old 02-15-13, 04:16 PM
linuxtwit
Driver School Candidate

I'm a 44 year old male, and the RX 350 will be my 1st Lexus and primary
vehicle. I quite frankly don't care what others think about what my vehicle
looks like, and if someone doesn't like it, they can pony up the cash to get
me something else.
Old 02-17-13, 05:30 PM
whoDean
Driver School Candidate

39 year old male, just purchased a '13 RX350 (Deep Sea Mica w/black anoline leather interior) as my daily driver. Catalyst was having our first child, due in May, my former car was a 2 door so a carseat would have been a challenge.

Nothing about it seems feminine.
Old 02-17-13, 05:46 PM
c5bob
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

On my second RX, and would not drive anything else. I have owned a boat load of cars and trucks and have not enjoyed any one of the as much as my RX.

67 year old male.
Old 02-17-13, 07:06 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Dean, congratulations on your 1st child and on your choice of safe transportation. There isn't a better luxury tank you could have picked .
Originally Posted by whoDean
39 year old male, just purchased a '13 RX350 (Deep Sea Mica w/black anoline leather interior) as my daily driver. Catalyst was having our first child, due in May, my former car was a 2 door so a carseat would have been a challenge.

Nothing about it seems feminine.
Old 02-17-13, 10:01 PM
sir1900
Driver School Candidate

I'm a 35 y/o male in sales. Picked up a 2011 RX350 in April, 2011. Use a Honda Civic as my daily driver and the RX is reserved for weekends and road trips.

Last November, we took it on a road trip through North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee. A excellent vehicle for those long road trips. A couple times we parked at a rest area overnight and got great sleep. Comfort is 10/10.

I don't know where people get this idea that the current gen RX is "feminine".

I do my own oil changes and the maintenance is very simple on this vehicle,
Old 02-18-13, 07:17 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The RX is primarily driven by my wife and is our primary vehicle for trips because it has more room then my EX.
Back to OP, I'm not sure why you are only considering vehicles similar to the RX. (mid-sized SUV's). How about something more sporty and fun to drive? Or do you have a big family and need the space?
Old 02-18-13, 10:21 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the RX for the wife's primary car. But she prefer to drive the jeep. So I drive the RX.
Old 02-18-13, 10:30 AM
JoshTittle
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2005 RX with 50k miles. i love mine. Not a fan of the newer ones due to the cargo and head room is much lower. Other than that i think it is a great SUV and you shouldn't worry about what people will say because everyone loves a Lexus.
Old 02-18-13, 02:34 PM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

I have 188k miles on my 1999 RX300 and it is my daily driver. After all these years and miles it so glad I bought it for its luxury, functionality and reliability. I don't consider it a women's car although I know many women drive them as well. If I need to feel more "manly" I drive my 2012 Corvette ZR1 or my loud and highly modifed 1990 454Ss truck. But, heck, my Lexus is the smart choice among the vehciles I drive.
Old 02-18-13, 03:05 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

My IS300 is the daily driver, but I put more miles on the RX, it being the family car (now with 3 baby seats in the back).
I consider it more of a grown-up car than anything (I'm in mid-30s).
And with 300HP at hand, it will hold its ground.

I decided to buy the RX and keep my good ol' IS, instead of upgrading it, because it is our primary vehicle, with me spending plenty of time at the wheel.

Quick Reply: Any "Guys" Driving the RX as their Primary Car ?