RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Disapointed by RX350 AWD Snow Capability

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 01:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Hmm... It has no performance advantage at that point, and a negative impact on gas consumption. That would be an odd strategy for the RX.
Yeah, I was quite surprised. It was a pretty cool display, though.
Old 01-10-17, 01:31 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Yeah, I was quite surprised. It was a pretty cool display, though.
The hybrid owners have had the animations all along... which makes me sad watching RXh turn into FWD rather quickly.

There's nothing in the specs for 15 and 17 RX350 claiming a difference.
Both are "Front engine, full-time all-weather drive (AWD)" and "All-Weather Drive (Rear Differential) - Electronically controlled Active Torque Control"
The only thing that changed is the transmission and drive ratios.
Old 01-10-17, 01:48 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe the 350 does give the rear wheels a kick when accelerating at high speed?
Originally Posted by Lexus
All-Wheel Drive
Lexus again offers its RX luxury utility models with a choice between front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive. The RX 350 introduces an all-new electronically controlled Active Torque Control AWD system.The previous RX 350 model’s AWD system used a viscous coupling locking center differential to provide 50:50 torque distribution. In the 2010 RX 350, Active Torque Control AWD uses an electronically controlled coupling ahead of the rear differential to vary torque distribution anywhere from 100:0 to 50:50 front to rear, depending on driving dynamics and road conditions. The new AWD system is 35 lbs. lighter than the previous system and reduces parasitic losses by 30 percent. When accelerating, or starting off on a low-grip surface, torque is quickly provided to all four wheels. At steady speeds, torque is sent only to the front wheels, enhancing fuel efficiency.To help provide handling agility and control, the AWD system increases rear-wheel torque when the vehicle’s front tires start to lose traction and decreases rear-wheel torque when the vehicle’s rear tires start to lose traction. On rough or sandy terrain, an AWD LOCK switch provides enhanced traction performance for low-speed maneuvering (if in LOCK mode, the system reverts to AUTO mode when speed exceeds 25 mph). To help prevent a tight corner-braking condition (shuddering) during low-speed cornering, the system reduces rear wheel torque.
http://pressroom.lexus.com/article_d...rticle_id=1617
Old 01-10-17, 01:52 PM
smknkeyz
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm just a little north of you and I love my RX F-sport in the snow. This is my first winter with the RX, coming from a much heavier Cadillac SRX and I can say it's been handling it like a champ. I made sure to put some dedicated snows on the factory 19'' rims though. I'm going to agree with JDR76, this I'm sure has made some difference.
Old 01-10-17, 02:02 PM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by PETERPHAN8
I just replace 4 brand new Bridgestone all season tires.
I've lived for 50 years in the mountains in Vermont, and find (along with most others) that "all season" tires are essentially useless in snow, whether you have four wheel drive or not.
I'd take a FWD will four real snow tires any day of the week over an AWD with "all season" tires. Yeah, you can get by on them much of the time, but when you have
more than a few inches, it's a real problem. Bite the bullet and get some big toothy snow tires...I'm partial to Nokians, very popular around area, come in several styles...
The following users liked this post:
MerlinT (01-11-17)
Old 01-10-17, 02:52 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

"All Season" tires are No Season tires. Why throw away a luxury vehicle for something that can be fixed for $600? That's silly.
Old 01-10-17, 05:49 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In all fairness, if you're driving in a climate with snow, your best bet is a dedicated set of snow tires. All-season tires do a lot of things but do none of them well.
We always run 4 dedicated snow tires on every car in the Winter, December to about late March/early April. Rest of the year back to Summers.Change overs are always dictated by ambient temperatures.
The following users liked this post:
MerlinT (01-11-17)
Old 01-10-17, 05:51 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

not sure the type of snow you had but we had 9 inches here in NC and my 2014 with OEM dunlop trash with 25k miles on it drove like a CHAMPION thru the snow(i know at the time there was 6-7 inches on the ground). It was the powdery type.
Old 01-11-17, 06:46 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm not doubting you, but I am also surprised that you had at tough time. I mean the RX is not a LX or GX in the snow but IME it has done fine. BTW did you engage the AWD lock at any point?

As I mentioned in another thread a couple of days ago, we are in our third winter with the RX and I have been pleasantly surprised at how well it has done in the snow.. This past weekend we got about 7" of snow and early in to the storm with about 4" on the ground I was out and the RX performed fine.

I happen to like Continental tires, but have the OEM Michelins on the RX with about 18K on them and have no complaints. But as someone else posted and I agree, Bridgestone tires IME leave a lot to be desired in the rain / snow. If you check the ratings they usually have poor ratings compared to the other brands.
Old 01-11-17, 08:44 AM
gnhumad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Michelin tires on the 2015 F sport. It handles great. No problem with deeper snow or ice. Using the snow mode one icy morning on I80, many were losing control and sliding off the road and I was wondering what the problem is. It is almost too good because its easy to drive too fast for the conditions and then you can't stop as quickly as needed. The antilock brakes just keep hammering.
Old 01-11-17, 09:43 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by gnhumad
I have the Michelin tires on the 2015 F sport. It handles great. No problem with deeper snow or ice. Using the snow mode one icy morning on I80, many were losing control and sliding off the road and I was wondering what the problem is. It is almost too good because its easy to drive too fast for the conditions and then you can't stop as quickly as needed. The antilock brakes just keep hammering.
It is almost too good because it is easy to drive too fast and crash.

Just Monday I was beside what looked like a new 4-Runner at a traffic light. It appeared to have all-season tires so I was surprised that it could keep up with me as well as it did when we pulled away when the traffic light turned green since our FWD Sienna has Blizzak WS80 on it. When we got to the next traffic light which turned red as we approached, we both braked at about the same time. I was able to stop easily but he slid into the intersection with his brake lights on. It was dumb luck that he didn't collide with cross traffic.

ABS doesn't do nearly as much "hammering" when real winter tires are used - the vehicle just stops with no drama. It's so incredibly different that it's scary. If your ABS is doing a lot of hammering it means that you are out of control.
Old 01-11-17, 09:58 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I think it has to do with "center locking differential" as found in our LX570 or similar vehicles. All the others you mentioned, including the RX do not have the "proper real hardware" needed in real bad weather conditions . If the weather is that bad, I'll just stay put even if I'm in my LX570 bc it is the other drivers out there I'll he worried about running into me!.

Originally Posted by allendsup2
Sorry as I don't have much knowledge on AWD systems. What do you mean by real hardware here? Does RX 350 not have a real AWD system? What about other cars such as RAV4, CRV, RDX, X3?
Old 01-11-17, 10:03 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes those Blizzak snow tires are wonderful. I had them some years ago on my old Volvo 960 rear wheel drive (all four tires). It did great up in the mountains in northern Cali. I was pleasantly surprised. Sold the car some years back.

Originally Posted by Kansas
It is almost too good because it is easy to drive too fast and crash.

Just Monday I was beside what looked like a new 4-Runner at a traffic light. It appeared to have all-season tires so I was surprised that it could keep up with me as well as it did when we pulled away when the traffic light turned green since our FWD Sienna has Blizzak WS80 on it. When we got to the next traffic light which turned red as we approached, we both braked at about the same time. I was able to stop easily but he slid into the intersection with his brake lights on. It was dumb luck that he didn't collide with cross traffic.

ABS doesn't do nearly as much "hammering" when real winter tires are used - the vehicle just stops with no drama. It's so incredibly different that it's scary. If your ABS is doing a lot of hammering it means that you are out of control.
Old 01-11-17, 10:16 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Got a 2011 rx350 Awd

Got pirelli all season and works fine and we just got 6 inches of snow here smh .Get new tires . Don't matter what car it's tires that matters in the snow
Old 01-11-17, 10:28 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

gnhumad, the F-Sport gets VDIM so you're at a bit of an advantage.

It looks like PETERPHANS has already gotten rid of the 350 for the X5 based on the first post. So I'm not sure we're going to convince him about how great the RX is in the snow. Yep, 18 winters for me and never stuck once. Good luck with the X5.

Quick Reply: Disapointed by RX350 AWD Snow Capability