RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is the RX right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 04:40 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UCSB
In the Subaru line, the Outback is best choice. It is a very nice highway cruiser with a very smooth ride. The ride is at least as good as my RX ... maybe better. At 65 MPH, you can easily get 30 - 33 MPG out of the 2.5 CVT model. Gas mileage reduces as you pass 70 MPH. I don't know what you would get at 80 MPH. A few good things about the Outback. Chase has a Subaru credit card that pays 3% back. You will never pay for maintenance or extended warranties. Subarus really hold their value and a high mileage driver, like yourself, can get a new car every year or two for a small upgrade penalty. Finally, the car's AWD system is really great.
Agree. The Outback is the one to look at but it's certainly not at the RX or Q5 level. Compared to the RX, the 2.5 CVT is, as expected, quite underpowered. Yet, the mileage from a full time AWD system is very impressive. Especially given the size of the vehicle. There's quite a bit of room in there.

Given the comments made so far, I'd probably steer the OP to the 3.6L Outback. It has an automatic, not a CVT, and lots of silky smooth power. Mileage suffers but it sounds like that is not a major concern. It may be worth a look. Just don't expect a luxury vehicle.
Old 01-24-13, 04:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by FamilyRX
I'm not sure how reliable the moose test is. Even the new Scion FR-S failed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aIcvFJM4DU

FamilyRX
(coming soon)
Haha! Love it!
Old 01-25-13, 09:32 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
If I were buying a luxury SUV in this price class and rear seat and cargo room were NOT a consideration, I would buy the Q5 without hesitation. There's just a level of solidity and quality to the interior thats just not there with the RX. Reliability is much better than it was.

Audi is making great cars nowadays, I would have chosen the A6 over my new GS if it weren't for the fact that their lease residuals were so poor.

As for the Jeep Grand Cherokee, we have a 2011 (the current body style) and love it. I've seen the whole "moose test" thing and they've done a lot of followup, nobody has been able to reproduce that behavior from that specific vehicle, and that vehicle was overloaded. LOTS of WK2 GC's out there, and no reports of rollovers or anything like that. There are 4 of them on my street along, everybody just loves theirs. Ours is very stable, 80-90MPH on the highway, it rides great, very comfortable. Great interior, Overland models have nappa leather, real wood trim, leather stitched door panels and dash. No way I would purchase an RX over a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland or Overland Summit.

The big drawback is fuel economy...its bad. We get 20-21 on a highway trip at best...16 around town. It has a big tank so range is good (500-550 miles), but its a shock when you fill up that 24 gallon tank and it rolls over $90.

I'd really lean towards the Q5 if I were you. The RX is a nice offering, but its the weakest vehicle in this segment IMHO. Sells well, but doesn't appeal to me.
You do know that Audi's have the most electrical problems ever right? Ive owned a Q7, a 2012 model and kept my RX300 too and sold the Q7 within a month. Five electrical problems and a sunroof leak and a mechanical fault with the parking brake. Dont really expect that from a car costing £58k compared to the £53k RX F SPORT. And I dont know what it is that does it for people with the Audi Q5 interior. Sure the materials are good, but no way are they better than the quality of the RX. The RX is a number one SUV for a reason. It was, and still is the target for all other SUV's. No wonder the Audi Q5 commercial is a cheap shot on the RX.
Old 01-25-13, 12:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rayaans
You do know that Audi's have the most electrical problems ever right? Ive owned a Q7, a 2012 model and kept my RX300 too and sold the Q7 within a month. Five electrical problems and a sunroof leak and a mechanical fault with the parking brake. Dont really expect that from a car costing £58k compared to the £53k RX F SPORT. And I dont know what it is that does it for people with the Audi Q5 interior. Sure the materials are good, but no way are they better than the quality of the RX. The RX is a number one SUV for a reason. It was, and still is the target for all other SUV's. No wonder the Audi Q5 commercial is a cheap shot on the RX.
I know lots of people with VWs and Audis and they have no problems whatsoever. An Audi isn't going to be as reliable as a Lexus, but they are much better than they used to be.

My issue with the RX interior is the same as my issue with the new ES interior, the materials are cheap. Leather isn't very good quality (unless its the semi-analine leather), carpeting is thin, hard touch plastics in places. You don't see any of that in the Q5's interior, materials are excellent, leather is very good quality. To me, a big part of driving a luxury car is having really nice quality materials, the ES & RX don't have that anymore IMHO...the Q5 does. I also personally think the inside of the RX is minivanish with the shifter on the dash, etc.

The Q5 is also fun to drive, its smaller, nimble, while the RX is ponderous. The RX is a LOT bigger inside, so if you carry people regularly the Q5 is too small, but if it were just for me to drive around in I wouldn't even consider an RX over the Q5.

No doubt its the top seller, but there are a lot of better vehicles in the segment IMHO. Infiniti FX, Mercedes ML, BMW X3/X5, Audi Q5, The Overland and Summit Jeeps, all vehicles I'd buy before the RX personally. Not meant to be offensive, I just don't care for it.
Old 01-25-13, 12:24 PM
m34door
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carfan1111
I do agree the audi seems overpriced for what you get
I came to that conclusion 3 months ago. Money is safe with RX
Old 01-25-13, 06:15 PM
carfan1111
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I know lots of people with VWs and Audis and they have no problems whatsoever. An Audi isn't going to be as reliable as a Lexus, but they are much better than they used to be.

My issue with the RX interior is the same as my issue with the new ES interior, the materials are cheap. Leather isn't very good quality (unless its the semi-analine leather), carpeting is thin, hard touch plastics in places. You don't see any of that in the Q5's interior, materials are excellent, leather is very good quality. To me, a big part of driving a luxury car is having really nice quality materials, the ES & RX don't have that anymore IMHO...the Q5 does. I also personally think the inside of the RX is minivanish with the shifter on the dash, etc.

The Q5 is also fun to drive, its smaller, nimble, while the RX is ponderous. The RX is a LOT bigger inside, so if you carry people regularly the Q5 is too small, but if it were just for me to drive around in I wouldn't even consider an RX over the Q5.

No doubt its the top seller, but there are a lot of better vehicles in the segment IMHO. Infiniti FX, Mercedes ML, BMW X3/X5, Audi Q5, The Overland and Summit Jeeps, all vehicles I'd buy before the RX personally. Not meant to be offensive, I just don't care for it.
jeep moose test doesnt inspire confidence

the fx is terrible on gas, 15/20 is what you usually hear from users

q5 is a legit competitor

not a fan of benz, and the new design ml is a bit out of my range

anyhoo i test drove the q5, its much better than the rx.....but the rx is much more spacious.
the lexus dealer is more willing to negotiate....i did check out other cars....the mazda cx 5 is a fun little car, but way underpowered.

i have a tough decision to make hehe
Old 01-25-13, 08:52 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RX, Q5, CX 5... hmm, not sure the CX 5 is in the same class. It's more like a CR-V. The CX 9 on the other hand could be a contended. Didn't drive one but they are nice on the inside.

How is the FX terrible on gas? Sounds like it's on par with the RX and Murano, same 3.5L right. I guess 15 is a tad on the low side for city driving.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 01-26-13, 07:57 AM
carfan1111
Rookie

you know what i dont understand, with the criticism of the rx (not the best awd, not the best interior material, average handling), then why is it such a hot seller?

anyways, the q5 dealer is refusing to negotiate

i do have a lexus dealer willing to play ball, however, he is givng me much more off on the 09 (last model of 2nd gen) than the 10 versions that are coming off lease

so heres one more question: is there a big difference, aside from the design, from the 2nd gen 09 and the 3rd gen 10?

the 3rd gen 10 is 30K miles for 30K listed with snow tires being thrown in
but hes willing to deal more on a 09 with just 35k on it
Old 01-26-13, 07:58 AM
carfan1111
Rookie

Originally Posted by ecr72
RX, Q5, CX 5... hmm, not sure the CX 5 is in the same class. It's more like a CR-V. The CX 9 on the other hand could be a contended. Didn't drive one but they are nice on the inside.

How is the FX terrible on gas? Sounds like it's on par with the RX and Murano, same 3.5L right. I guess 15 is a tad on the low side for city driving.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
youre right, its not in the same class...but i went to 2 automalls that have like 10 makes each, and test drove lots of car

those small cuvs really dont stand a chance, obviously they are cheaper

but i must admit, practicality wise, that cx5 isnt a bad package overall
Old 01-26-13, 08:08 AM
carfan1111
Rookie

one more silly question for u guys

why would one get a CPO lexus? doesnt that seem to defy logic, that you are buying a brand known for reliability, but still get a extended warranty on it?
Old 01-26-13, 08:41 AM
carfan1111
Rookie

guys, if any1 is in the market for a car, any car, i highly advise to go for it this weekend....every dealer i visited this week minus audi has called and left me messages in the last day or so......it is months end and the bad weather this month in the northeast has left more inventory on their lot than they want

im going to the lexus dealer right now, hes offering me a 10 with no cpo, 30k miles and i have it down to below 30k!!!
Old 01-26-13, 09:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by carfan1111
jeep moose test doesnt inspire confidence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFLb8WMGM
Nobody else has seemed to be able to replicate the results of that one magazine, and with the number of Jeeps on the road...I haven't heard of any rollovers or even close calls, and I read the Jeep forums too.

I've driven the Jeep pretty hard, and its a very stable vehicle IMHO.

the fx is terrible on gas, 15/20 is what you usually hear from users
Not terrible compared to the Jeep. I'd rather have something thats a little more fun even if I have to buy more gas.

anyhoo i test drove the q5, its much better than the rx.....but the rx is much more spacious.
Yes, thats the conundrum between the RX and Q5.

you know what i dont understand, with the criticism of the rx (not the best awd, not the best interior material, average handling), then why is it such a hot seller?
Its an attractive, well made, reliable, spacious and comfortable vehicle from a prestigious brand. I'm not saying its not a great vehicle, I'm just saying its not an enthusiasts vehicle. IMHO the RX is very competent, but it doesn't excel at anything. Its not the smoothest and quietest, not the best looking, not the highest quality, not the most fun to drive, not the most capable, its very middle of the road. For the typical consumer middle of the road is what they want.

As for 09 vs 10, I wouldn't go 09. There were a lot of upgrades to the 2010, and its going to feel like a much newer vehicle for longer
Old 01-28-13, 08:39 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So end up getting RX F sport figure I will look less weird being a guy driving RX in so cal.

Yes - handling wise i would say Q5 will be a bit more fun compare to RX, but day to day world I say RX is just enough for what it does and the extra space it has compare to q5. Plus, i have what i needed to do maintenance on the rx.
Old 01-29-13, 11:56 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Steer clear of Q5 with VW 2.0L turbo engine. The direct injection causes heavy carbon build-up on the intake valves (google for it). If not cleaned, eventually it will break-off and make its way into the cylinder, potentially scratching its walls. That's an engine rebuild. Typical of Germans, complete cleaning requires engine removal.
Port injection does not have this issue, as valves get cleaned by the gas. That's why most Toyota vehicles with direct injection also feature secondary port injection.
Old 01-30-13, 01:17 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
..... That's why most Toyota vehicles with direct injection also feature secondary port injection....
Interesting! My IS has both types, but I assumed it was a performance thing on the 350. I had heard of the carbon build up with DI, but never connected the 2 facts.

My son was a service writer for a company that did warranty service for Audi vehicles. While he is a big fan of their cars, he insists that the SUVs are not up to the same standards. They break even more than their cars, the quality isn't as good, and they're still very expensive to fix. When we bought our first RX, we were also considering an Audi SUV. He basically said "No way", and insisted we eliminate it from any consideration. I figured that with all the factory service training he had received, he should know.