RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Whether to fix: Noise from dashboard when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 11:30 AM
Emreh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whether to fix: Noise from dashboard when cold

hey lexus community, I am hoping to get some ideas/opinions to an issue I am facing.

Got my CPO 2012 RX350 in July, everything has been great

winter has been tough here in the north with -30 Celsius (-22 F) every other week. when it's that cold there's squeaking noise from the dashboard / windshield area. mainly from the intersection of both.

Once the car is out of the garage it's ok for a few minutes then noise starts. this only happens if the weather is colder than -10 C (14 F) (i can't blame the car as my bones squeak when it's colder than-10 ) This is definitely an expansion/contraction issue.

The dealer indicated that they will have to remove the dashboard to fix the problem and recommended that I wait towards the end of the warranty, observe other issues and fix all at once as multiple removal of the dashboard may bring new problems (i.e. snapped pieces may get loose).

what you think? has anyone faced this type of issue before and is there a quick fix? should I listen to the dealer or request to get it fixed?
Old 01-27-15, 11:59 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Are you sure this is the dashboard? Mine has a plastic piece outside, on the bottom part of the widnshield, that squeaks when it gets to 0F. I figure it just needs to be lubricated.
Old 01-27-15, 12:44 PM
jdshaw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suggest you leave it alone - since it only occurs in very cold weather until the vehicle heats up. Too much potential to cause more problems.
Old 01-27-15, 01:40 PM
Emreh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Are you sure this is the dashboard? Mine has a plastic piece outside, on the bottom part of the widnshield, that squeaks when it gets to 0F. I figure it just needs to be lubricated.
Thanks Vlad_a. could you please explain a bit more about where this part might be as it feels like the noise is coming from outside. It might be a similar problem.
Old 01-27-15, 01:44 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

The plastic piece in front of my window squeaks too when it gets below freezing. It sounds like it's coming right at you from the windshield and dash, but I've determined it's nothing to do with the dash itself simply because I began to notice when there was snow on the windshield or under the wiper area, there was no sound. If I hose off the road salt at a spray car wash, the sound also goes away. As long as the plastic area is wet or above freezing, no problems.

I've played around with it from time to time to make it go away, but of course it's always when it's really cold, so not the best time to work on it. One day when it wasn't too much below freezing (to avoid anything weird happening) I poured some water along the plastic and went for a drive. The noise was there to start, but within a couple of minutes it went away. Another day I sprayed the intersection of all the plastic pieces under the wipers and the upper side of the engine covers with WD40, and the sound went away again, but next day was back.

The dealer replaced the plastic under the wipers a couple winters ago to try to make it go away, but it didn't make it any better. Before that, I put some foam under the back edge of the hood to permanently solve the problem, but since they replaced it, that doesn't work anymore. I've been trying to find something to use that will last a bit longer without making a mess.
Old 01-27-15, 02:12 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Emreh
Thanks Vlad_a. could you please explain a bit more about where this part might be as it feels like the noise is coming from outside. It might be a similar problem.
What Andy said above. It squeaks right in front of you.
Old 01-27-15, 06:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Echoing jdshaw, I would leave it alone. All it could be is the slightest moisture icing up causing the noise. My brand new NX has the odd squeak coming from around the windows and windshield when it's frozen but as the sun (and the interior heating) warms it up or when the NX comes from my interior garage ( above freezing), no noises. Same with my IS and virtually every car I've owned including the RX.

The risk in taking anything apart is it can introduce new noises though lube and putting in a little felt is low risk...

Good luck!
Old 01-28-15, 07:14 AM
Emreh
Driver School Candidate

many thanks for the advice.

indeed once the car heats up the noise goes away. I will try WD40 or teflon film spray and see how it works.
Old 01-28-15, 12:50 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Something, somewhere in my dash squeaks from time to time -- I just turn up the music.
Old 01-28-15, 03:19 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the exact same problem on my 10 RX450H

My recommendation is staying away from the dealer, don't let them to disassemble the dashboard, it can only make things worse after a while, and can trigger some other noise.

This problem is caused by cheap material, if the dealer doesn't assemble the parts back well, you will be like me having problem even more.

I just turn on the audio when I sit in my car, and pretend nothing happened.
Old 01-28-15, 03:32 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Are you sure the noise isn't from your teeth chattering

I agree with everyone else. If the noise only started with the cold weather, it's not worth having the dealer take apart the dash. You might wind up with more noises. I recall a member or two getting the windshield cowl (plastic piece underneath the wipers) replaced or adjusted for a similar problem. But chances are it's a contraction/expansion issue like you said.
Old 01-30-15, 10:49 AM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed to wait or not to touch dashboard... It does sound like a big job..

When Fremont Lexus tried to fix the b-pillar rattle (it was actually coming from driver door striker) in my RX, they took the b-pillar lower cover out and broke couple clips without replacing them with new one.. They also put a dent on the door sill plate.. (that I didn't find out until a week after I got my car back.)
Old 02-26-15, 11:38 AM
svidas
Rookie

Default Dashboard noise when cold

Hi, my 2010 RX450h has been squeaking badly when below zero - seems to be behind the dash or in the cowl. I took it to my dealer today who confirmed the problem.

They said my CPO does not cover the suggested repair of taking the dash apart and snipping off two little plastic pieces and that it would cost $250.00.

I told them no, since I wanted to see the reactions on this board. It seems like most rightly fear more problems by "fixing" an issue that only occurs when very cold.
Old 02-26-15, 04:06 PM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default this is a sad thread

For everyone to say "give up" on a $50k+ machine (450h) that squeaks is sad.

Mfgrs supposedly test these things in Arctic conditions, they should perform as the luxury vehicles they are in cold conditions. And for a dealer to admit they're going to break things taking them apart ... what's this world coming to?

My 2013 450H dash squeaks when it's cold, and it doesn't stop when the interior warms up. Unfortunately (in this regard) I moved to Cape Cod from VA in 2014, and there are no Lexus dealers on Cape Cod (don't let everyone tell you it doesn't snow much on Cape Cod). It would be a monumental hassle to go to the mainland multiple times to try to get it fixed. That and the disappointing performance in snow drive my Lexus satisfaction lower each time I drive it.

The dash in my 2003 AWD GMC van doesn't squeak - either that or there are so many other GMC van noises I don't notice it . It goes through snow, though.

Jonas
Old 02-27-15, 06:09 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW, I think all vehicles can develop the occasional squeak or rattle as weather extremes occur -- no different than my home that has a strange creak or moan happen from somewhere, generally in the middle of the night, as temps vary more dramatically certain times of the year. I don't try to track those problems down within the walls of my home as it does not happen often or consistently, nor is it causing some other problem that I'm aware of. Like most of us, I have high expectations for a quality build in each of my (luxury) rides these days. For me, it's a question if a rattle, squeak or strange sound in a car happens often and consistently -- if it does, I must have it resolved as those sort of things drive me mental as they say. I've been fortunate with my former RX400h and present 2013 RX450h that have been perfect with no odd-ball sounds, across 10 years of total ownership.

In case it helps someone understand that Lexus can replace a dash "with perfection", here's two quick stories:
  • My 2006 RX400h developed an odd problem spewing white particles from the front window defroster vents -- after basic warranty expiration. Without going into a lot more detail, except to say Lexus gave me no issues when I brought it to their attention, and repaired it. IIRC, it was a 2 or 3 day job, requiring removal of the complete dash and center console to replace the offending part used in some of the first RX400h off the line. My RX was returned to me in perfect condition, problem solved, with no squeaks or rattles for the remaining year or two I owned it.
  • The carpet in my SC430 had to be replaced after delivery because of a flaw likely introduced by the selling dealer, requiring complete removal of it's dash, console, and seats ...a huge effort. When it was returned, I had no problems, squeaks or rattles for the nearly 8 years I owned that beauty.

IMHO it's always possible when manually removing and replacing massive amounts of a vehicle like a dash, with all the little tidbits involved, that more problems could be introduced. For me though, if I had a repeatable and pervasive squeak or rattle that bothered me a lot -- and especially if it was covered by warranty -- I would have it fixed ...knowing that if it isn't done to my expectation, I would need to take a deep breath, not go nuclear, and ask for THAT situation to then be corrected as well. Fortunately for me, my Lexus dealers and "first time fix" experiences have never taken me there.

Quick Reply: Whether to fix: Noise from dashboard when cold