RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tail Lamp Upgrade 2010-2012

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-14, 03:53 PM
rmhipo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Woodrow
Nice detail on your car, rmhipo! That's a nice looking, well cared for RX!
Thanks Woody! She's garaged daily and bathed once a week. I actually forgot to mention on other threads that I had my front windshield tinted. It is a new kind of tint from Madico called Wincos. It is made to show no aesthetic difference at all, so you cannot get pulled over. It not only blocks out 99% of the UV rays, it holds shattered glass together in the event of an accident. There are times I forget to put my sunshade up, so this helps in preserving the interior.
Old 06-04-14, 09:32 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rmhipo
rxsuperman: It is all personal preference. A different look/style can be accomplished with $10 vs. $1,000. I'm sure many of us here on the forum continue to do what we enjoy doing, on top of donating to more than a handful of charities. Again, personal preference.
Don't think he's knocking your choice to mod, just the choices of mod. And neither am I.

You've spent a lot to look different but now it's 3 cars into one. (A hybrid-fsport-350 with dual exhaust). Anyone outside of Lexus isn't going to know and anyone inside is going to walk by and ask "WTF"?

Especially the hybrid badging. If we were looking at a BMW and bashing, the word 'poser' would come to mind in making your car look like and upgraded version of something it isn't.

Not going to bash as I applaud different (look at my GS) but my motto is 'Mod with a purpose" and I don't necesarily see what you are going for. It does look clean though so props on that. But it was a lot of money spent and other than the wheels, nothing really jumps out at you more than 10 feet away. Could've gotten better value and achieved your purpose much more signficantly if you went another direction (body kit, lip, etc).
Old 06-04-14, 08:28 PM
rmhipo
Rookie

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Don't think he's knocking your choice to mod, just the choices of mod. And neither am I.

You've spent a lot to look different but now it's 3 cars into one. (A hybrid-fsport-350 with dual exhaust). Anyone outside of Lexus isn't going to know and anyone inside is going to walk by and ask "WTF"?

Especially the hybrid badging. If we were looking at a BMW and bashing, the word 'poser' would come to mind in making your car look like and upgraded version of something it isn't.

Not going to bash as I applaud different (look at my GS) but my motto is 'Mod with a purpose" and I don't necesarily see what you are going for. It does look clean though so props on that. But it was a lot of money spent and other than the wheels, nothing really jumps out at you more than 10 feet away. Could've gotten better value and achieved your purpose much more signficantly if you went another direction (body kit, lip, etc).
I totally agree.

To be quite honest, I didn't really want the Hybrid badging to make it look like a Hybrid. I just wanted the black behind the emblem. I looked everywhere but couldn't find it. So if I do eventually find an altered version, the Hybrid badge comes off.

I appreciate these discussions. Perceived value vs. actual value is subjective right? No one actually knows how much I was able to sell my 2010 tail lights for, so if I actually mentioned that my tail light upgrade came out to under $300, it doesn't seem so bad right? 10 feet away vs. 100 feet away, my purpose was simply to make it look unique. Most of the RX's in the bay area are stock (maybe tint), so probably the wheels alone accomplish that. The rest of my mods were really personal preference. I like more red vs. clear...I like a little more black than chrome... But yes, I agree with you, I could have put that $ on something like a kit, but to me that is not subtle. Again, my purpose was to accomplish a unique but subtle look. I appreciate the feedback. Do you have a link to your GS? Would love to see it.

Last edited by rmhipo; 06-04-14 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-04-14, 09:25 PM
rmhipo
Rookie

Not going to bash as I applaud different (look at my GS) but my motto is 'Mod with a purpose" and I don't necesarily see what you are going for.
Just took a peek at your GS. I've seen quite a few that are a little too much for my taste, but I do like yours. Nice work!
Old 06-05-14, 06:23 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I totally agree.

To be quite honest, I didn't really want the Hybrid badging to make it look like a Hybrid. I just wanted the black behind the emblem. I looked everywhere but couldn't find it. So if I do eventually find an altered version, the Hybrid badge comes off.

I appreciate these discussions. Perceived value vs. actual value is subjective right? No one actually knows how much I was able to sell my 2010 tail lights for, so if I actually mentioned that my tail light upgrade came out to under $300, it doesn't seem so bad right? 10 feet away vs. 100 feet away, my purpose was simply to make it look unique. Most of the RX's in the bay area are stock (maybe tint), so probably the wheels alone accomplish that. The rest of my mods were really personal preference. I like more red vs. clear...I like a little more black than chrome... But yes, I agree with you, I could have put that $ on something like a kit, but to me that is not subtle. Again, my purpose was to accomplish a unique but subtle look. I appreciate the feedback. Do you have a link to your GS? Would love to see it.
Appreciate someone being receptive to constructive criticism. Rare character trait these days.

The chrome garnish is from the 450 as well? Never noticed there was a difference if so.

Any other modding plans?

Just took a peek at your GS. I've seen quite a few that are a little too much for my taste, but I do like yours. Nice work!
Thanks, much appreciated.
Old 06-05-14, 07:07 AM
rmhipo
Rookie

Appreciate someone being receptive to constructive criticism. Rare character trait these days.

The chrome garnish is from the 450 as well? Never noticed there was a difference if so.

Any other modding plans?

Thanks, much appreciated.

The chrome garnish is the same for the ALL the 2013/2014 models. No difference on the 450.

I do like the stock 2013/2014 headlights w/LED strip, but I'm not willing to spend $1,750 per. I've tried looking on eBay for a used pair, but they go pretty quick. Aside from that, I think I am close to being done.
Old 06-09-14, 01:43 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I've seen lots on ebay lately. I was gonna do the headlights too but no point. I'll jus drive my gs instead
Old 06-09-14, 01:47 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
How is the upgraded tail light better than the original tail light? If this is simply a style difference, it's not worth the money........better off donating that money to charity for a better cause.....
Like he said its preference. Some ppl like the newer tail lights but won't pay the price. As for donations. Take care of yourself first before u think about others. I just think your hating
Old 06-17-14, 02:41 PM
ehfour
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option- Use Tamiya Candy Red Clear

Originally Posted by Smigelski
I'd love to get this done to my BRZ. It's a coat of Candy Apple Red with a coat of clear over the OEM lights.

As opposed to the factory tail light color:

Old 08-01-16, 08:19 AM
Chigger
Pole Position

Dug up this old thread...

Is it hard to swap out taillights? I cannot find any DIY on here.

How about the leds separate or included with the taillight assembly?

Old 08-01-16, 01:35 PM
Chigger
Pole Position

I am hoping these OE replacement will fit my '10 RX.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311343214435?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 08-02-16, 07:05 AM
tdott
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ehfour
Another option- Use Tamiya Candy Red Clear
That's a good idea, has anyone tinted their pre-lci taillights all red? Wonder how it would look.
Old 08-03-16, 06:14 PM
Chigger
Pole Position

Anyone else did this swap? Just plug and play?
Old 04-06-20, 04:58 PM
murph2214
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 to 2013 RX350 taillights

Original lights

New

New
Just bought this 2010 RX last week, I changed the taillights to the newer style. It is indeed a straight swap, once the interior trim is out it’s quite easy to change them, took about an hour. I bought all 4 new a/m lights on eBay for $443.89, I’ll make the money back by selling the old ones. Definitely recommend (IMO) it looks way better. I also took off the “LEXUS” emblem that is on the left side of the lift gate since they only put it on the 2010 for some reason and I don’t want to age the car. Also added body side moldings to it for $100, took 15 min to install. And I put a set of wheels/ with new tires from a 2013 on it I found on Craigslist. I got them for $400 so quite a steal. Wish I could change the front end too though that would be very very expensive, considering I only paid $11,000 for it with 90k I won’t waste $2-3k changing those components over. At least the back looks new 😎.
The following users liked this post:
LRX05 (04-15-20)
Old 04-15-20, 02:46 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 460 Likes on 401 Posts

Like the oem '10 light assemblies myself, gen 2 the best......To each their own.

Quick Reply: Tail Lamp Upgrade 2010-2012