RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Poltergeist?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-14, 09:36 AM
KarenJM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poltergeist?

This morning we had a very bizarre experience. I got into our car (2013 RX 450h) and the seat was completely pushed back. I had been the last (and only ) driver of our car and had not adjusted the seat. I managed to reach the brake pedal, started the car, pushed the L1 seating position and my seat re-adjusted. I then put the car into Drive and when I stepped on the accelerator, it would not move! The parking brake was not on, there was nothing obstructing the car. I turned it off, turned it on again and it was then fine. I had last driven it 3 days prior, the battery was fine, the outside temperature was registered as 30 degrees, so not excessively cold. We park in a garage although it is not entirely closed off from the outside air.

Has anyone experienced this problem with the car no moving despite being in DRIVE and stepping on accelerator? The seat is another mystery.
Old 01-01-14, 02:51 PM
kcsupratt
Driver School Candidate

Check your settings. I am not sure where exactly, but the options are Full, Partial and I think none.
When you exit the car, the car seat can move back all the way back as you saw today. You might have it set to Full, try partial or None.

Good luck
Old 01-01-14, 05:18 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I think it may be a poltergeist

On a more serious note, sometimes if you push the start button and then shift into drive too quickly, the car does not actually turn on. I then have to put it back in Park and then push the start button again. Did you notice of the instrument cluster said "Ready"? I am too quick to shift, so now i make a note to push the start button, and wait for the beep and then I shift.
Old 01-01-14, 09:21 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Do you happen to have hill assist on your RX? If you push real hard on the brake it activates hill assist and holds the car for a few seconds before the brake releases.
Old 01-02-14, 07:13 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Mine wouldn't start this morning on the first try when I wanted to get it warmed-up. I jumped into the seat, pressed the brake and pushed the start button, then got out and ran to open the garage door before the engine kicked in. And it didn't. It just sat there. So, I had to grab the coat, get into the car again, and, sure enough, it had all the lights on. It didn't start for some reason... maybe because I opened the door to get out too quickly.
It must be a A Y2K14 bug.
Old 01-02-14, 08:57 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Yes, I've pressed on the start button and shifted into gear too quickly a few times myself. Being hybrid there's no typical engine start up noise right away to indicate it's on. As far as the seat being all the way back, seat eject has been mentioned. Maybe one of the other seat preset buttons is programmed to go all the way back and you accidentally hit it when you got out of the RX. Got me

Please keep us updated.
Old 01-02-14, 02:33 PM
KarenJM
Driver School Candidate

Default Poltergeist

Thank you all for your helpful replies. It did say Ready when I was in Drive and I was depressing accelerator. I had not pushed too hard, just pressed as I always had done. I contacted the dealer (Service Manager). He thought that perhaps due to the cold (it's been cold here, the 20s F but the car registered outside temp as 30 so not particularly arctic) and the transmission hadn't fully engaged.

The seat remains a mystery.
My husband (doesn't drive but is my chief navigator) commented that our prior car, a Camry, which I drove for 14 years, never had any problems. Our new, (well it's now a year old!) Lexus 450h has already had various (minor) problems because of all of the electronics.

I still love this car.
Old 01-02-14, 07:13 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Stationary car:
Had you washed the car before this event?

Seat full back:
Do you have more than one key fob? Do you always use the same one? Are they programmed the same?
Old 01-02-14, 07:44 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Is it possible you were in Neutral and only thought you were in drive?

Im just trying to think of all the possible reasons for the car being ready and yet no movement

Last edited by RXSF; 01-02-14 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-05-14, 12:25 PM
KarenJM
Driver School Candidate

Yes we had washed it but it was a drive-through and I never left my seat (it was Sunday and the Lexus dealer service centre isn't open for us to have them wash the car).
Only one key fob that we use.
Thank you for taking time to reply
Old 01-05-14, 12:26 PM
KarenJM
Driver School Candidate

It was definitely in Drive (I checked this as I was puzzled why it wasn't moving.
Old 01-05-14, 03:24 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

KarenJM, there is a possibility the rotors froze after the wash and then sitting for a few days. After putting it in drive, you may have pushed the pedal but not hard enough to initially break free. Don't worry, it doesn't cause any harm. I've had it happen a few times after washing my 450h in the colder weather. About the only thing to do is make sure the rotors are as dry as possible. The explanation you received from the dealer about the transmission not engaging is new to me

Regarding the seat, have you checked the other presets and the seat eject selection?