RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

After market, body roll improvement for RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-14, 12:14 PM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SexyLexiRx
FWD Rx 350 2013 with Sport Appearance package, that means 19" Fsport wheels, idk what tires. With tow package, which would add slightly more weight to the front end.

I just got this vehicle last month. It's great on my potholed roads that surround my house like a mine field, arg! I have to have a flexible suspension to deal with these roads, downtown Dallas, TX. So bigger rims is not really an option.

It was going great until my first roadtrip this week. I was fully loaded, 2 people, full boot with no extra space, it barely fit, hanging clothes all the way across the backseat. Going 80mph in a straight line on the highway is not a problem, but some of the more aggressive highway curves made me uncomfortable going even 75mph, which is the speed limit minimum,

I like a little give in the suspension but I think the extra weight made my vehicle sway more than usual on highway dips. So, I want to minimize the excessive body roll, and sway, and/or bouncy boat feel, without losing the pothole road armor, that keeps me comfortable around my neighborhood.

Should I replace the rear shocks with KYB "OEM" style? Would this give me a slightly stiffer rear end? No one has mentioned this idea yet. (Originally I looked for Bilstein but they don't make shocks for this vehicle.) This is my preference to start. I will say that I test drove an F Sport Rx350, and did not like the suspension for my neighborhood, it jarred me too much, so I need something in between.

I like the idea of wheel spacers to give me a wider stance. Or I could drop the vehicle with Zoom Bane springs, maybe 1" or 2". I probably don't want to do larger sway bars, in fact I would remove them completely like a jeep crawler, but I might completely fly off the highway at 80mph. I will also consider the "body damper" that Dolphin installed, it sounded like Dolphin really liked that upgrade. My old 1998 Chevy C1500 truck benefited a lot from being lowered, but it was hell around the neighborhood, before and after the lowering.
I couldn't help but notice, and I don't mean this to sound rude, but you're talking about all of these suspension mods and you haven't even determined what tires you have. Personally I would start there, and I say this as someone who had had (3) different sets of tires on my RX (18's). I noticed quite a difference in handling between them, and it wasn't wear-related because I swapped out one set after only a month. You shouldn't be uncomfortable on a highway curve at 75 mph, especially with 19's.
Old 03-22-15, 03:47 PM
splee99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm a 2010 RX350 owner and I also notice the side to side rocking at low speed turn, especially at the rear suspension. I'm just wondering if changing sway bar can reduce the rocking. I just found this MEVOTECH Part # MS86876 in Rockauto. It looks stiffer than the stock one. Your comment will be much appreciated.

Name:  MS86876_BAC__ra_p.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  11.9 KB
Old 03-22-15, 05:20 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's an end-link. It's a transition piece at either end of the swaybar.
Here's a pic for a Lexus sedan.
Not even sure a heavier bar was available for the RX, possibly the F-Sport.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-06-12-IS250-RWD-REAR-STABILIZER-SWAY-BAR-AND-LINKS-OEM-/121254184068?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3b500484
A soft rear bar will present itself as excessive body roll while cornering. The torque in the steel bar is overcome by the mass of the car wanting to go straight. Each control arm will react differently as the weight of the car shifts in a turn. Inside will open up (allowing that side of the car to raise up). Outside will compress( allowing that side of the car to drop down). The sway bar is a torsion bar designed to minimize the difference between the sides & "try" to keep the car on the flat & level.

Last edited by SteveCraig; 03-22-15 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-23-15, 08:12 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

I recall we discussed this at the start of this thread. I and others have searched. There are no aftermarket sway bars for the RX350. I would get them if available. The F-Sport has the same anti-sway bars. No other Toyota/Lexus model has bars that will fit. The difference in the F-Sport is stiffer shocks (rear), struts (front) and I think stiffer springs, plus the lateral dampers (like strut tower bars) front and rear. Some folks installed the lateral dampers and claimed a big improvement in handling, again, covered earlier in this thread.

I installed H&R 20mm wheel spacers, which by increasing the track, reduced body roll by lowering the center of gravity a bit and I thought were well worth the couple hundred dollars. This was covered in another thread.
Old 03-23-15, 04:39 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go aftermarket wheels that are wider.....like 19x8.5s with the same offset or slightly lower offset (I have seen some nice wheels with an offset between 30-35.... OEM offset is 35). That would push the wheels out a little. Then I would put 255/50r19 tires, which would give you a 20 mm increase in width while maintaining almost the same side wall height. Like others have said, check your tires. The michelin latitude tour hps that were on my car were way too rough a ride, but that was on my f sport. On your car with the softer suspension that wider wheels and tire setup combined with the stiffer michelins would likely I do the trick. I went the opposite way....I got new wheels and tires but went with a softer riding h rated tire (Pirelli scorpion verde) in a 245/55r19 to give more cushion, as I thought the f sport ride was too firm. My new package did the trick...my car rides great now without sacrificing the cornering and handling characteristics of the f sport package.

I would stay away from spacers....I have heard horror stories about broken lugs and voided suspension warranties. Plus, if you went with a 255/50r19 tire, you could keep the OEM offset while pushing the tires out by 10mm on each side...the equivalent of using 10mm spacers without the safety risk
Old 06-12-15, 01:44 PM
SexyLexiRx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update: Alignment issues

Originally Posted by SexyLexiRx
FWD Rx 350 2013 with Sport Appearance package, that means 19" Fsport wheels, idk what tires. With tow package, which would add slightly more weight to the front end.

I just got this vehicle last month. It's great on my potholed roads that surround my house like a mine field, arg! I have to have a flexible suspension to deal with these roads, downtown Dallas, TX. So bigger rims is not really an option.

It was going great until my first roadtrip this week. I was fully loaded, 2 people, full boot with no extra space, it barely fit, hanging clothes all the way across the backseat. Going 80mph in a straight line on the highway is not a problem, but some of the more aggressive highway curves made me uncomfortable going even 75mph, which is the speed limit minimum,
So, I held off on any mods luckily, because I ended up solving my issue with an alignment from the dealer. It wasn't enough to notice, driving uneven roads in a straight line, but I guess only noticeable on long highway curves.

So the dealer did not align, before I bought it? That seems wrong, and they would not pay for it either, because it took me 3 months to notice. I bit the bullet, since the dealer has been otherwise helpful.

Also, I had one tire that was new, and 3 older tires with 5/32" difference between the old and new tires. This may have impacted the drive also? Not sure on that.

3 months after the alignment and a second tire rotation... It drives great now, like a new car should.
Old 03-21-16, 12:21 PM
djevans99
Driver School Candidate

Default Lateral performance dampers

I have a 2013 RX350 and I want to improve the handling. Specifically reduce the body lean in turns and increase the stability in cross winds. I have read the threads discussing adding the lateral performance dampers from an Fsport to a regular RX350. Some members have said they received improvements in handling while others thought the dampers would not improve the handling. My dealer doesn't think it will make much of an improvement. Can those who have tried this modification give me more specific information regarding how adding lateral performance dampers improved the handling. Any advice on the subject would be appreciated.
Old 03-21-16, 06:47 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

To help your 3rd generation RX handle better you will need some chassis braces and stiffer sway bars.

Ultra Racing makes some products for our models from 2009(2010 actually)

Not to sure if they fit the newer 2013 on up models due to any changes.

You can find their products on Ebay for most cars.

http://ultraracing.my/ecatalog/index...ont-tower-bar/
Old 03-22-16, 06:04 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by djevans99
I have a 2013 RX350 and I want to improve the handling. Specifically reduce the body lean in turns and increase the stability in cross winds. I have read the threads discussing adding the lateral performance dampers from an Fsport to a regular RX350. Some members have said they received improvements in handling while others thought the dampers would not improve the handling. My dealer doesn't think it will make much of an improvement. Can those who have tried this modification give me more specific information regarding how adding lateral performance dampers improved the handling. Any advice on the subject would be appreciated.
IMO I think there is more to it than just the dampers. I have a 15 F-Sport and while it handles much better than a regular RX the ride is much stiffer. It rides good on smooth roads and is very stable on turns but once the pavement gets rough you can immediately feel how stiff the suspension is.

I knew this going in and purposely took and extended test drive in the F-Sport over every type of road I could find. In the end I was very happy with the ride to handling trade-off and a year and a half later I wouldn't change a thing.

So besides the dampers I believe it also has to do with the shocks and tires, and BTW the steering feel is much tighter on the F-Sport compared to regular RX's I've driven..
Old 03-22-16, 06:29 AM
Clutchless

That strut tower bar will not fit as it is made for a Japanese car with the driver on the right. Notice the brake master cylinder on what would be the passenger side in the US and how the bar curves around it? Also, that appears to be the prior generation platform RX. I doubt any of those braces would fit the 3rd Gen car.
Old 03-22-16, 08:21 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
That strut tower bar will not fit as it is made for a Japanese car with the driver on the right. Notice the brake master cylinder on what would be the passenger side in the US and how the bar curves around it? Also, that appears to be the prior generation platform RX. I doubt any of those braces would fit the 3rd Gen car.
You may be right.

However, that is the 3rd generation engine cover and setup without the plastic cover that goes over the air filter.

Yet, you are right about the brake fluid reservoir being on the wrong side on the engine.

I was assuming that the company makes American version of the braces.

To be honest i will not buy any of the products since my RX350 handles just find for what it is.

My wife drives the RX mostly anyway, and she does not drive it like a race car so no need for a stiffer chassis in my household.

Just trying to share some information to answer the OP question or point the individual in the right direction.

Pre-2010 engine bay

2010 engine bay

Engine bay with brace

So right engine model, but not the correct country.

The OP could check with company and see if they make the American version chassis parts.

Last edited by carguy75; 03-22-16 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-22-16, 09:33 AM
Clutchless

If true and the cost was not insane and fitment questionable, I would consider their lower chassis brace. I saw it on eBay but it was in the UK for $204 plus $71 shipping. Their US distributor did not appear to have any RX350 items.

I am updating because I found this link for Ultraracing which has animation showing how the chassis braces improve handling

http://www.r-parts-store.com/Ultra-R...-Highlander-27

Last edited by Clutchless; 03-22-16 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-22-16, 12:33 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
If true and the cost was not insane and fitment questionable, I would consider their lower chassis brace. I saw it on eBay but it was in the UK for $204 plus $71 shipping. Their US distributor did not appear to have any RX350 items.

I am updating because I found this link for Ultraracing which has animation showing how the chassis braces improve handling

http://www.r-parts-store.com/Ultra-R...-Highlander-27

Those braces work well to keep body roll in check.

I will be ordering the front and rear lower braces for my 2.0T KIA from UltraRacing.

If I can find a supercharger kit for the RX, then I get the check book out for some RX chassis upgrades if my wife do not object.

She is a purist when it come to her cars.

However, she drove my "tweaked" KIA Optima turbo to work the other day and she really enjoyed the car and liked how nimble/quick it was compared to the RX when it comes to passing.

She actually asked could I make the RX quicker like the KIA.

Which surprised me since she was against me trading our 2011 Mercedes E350 for the KIA in the first place.

So shes does have a suppressed speed demon that is ready to come out, that means there is hope to mod the RX maybe.

Last edited by carguy75; 03-22-16 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-25-16, 08:56 AM
djevans99
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know if the OEM lateral performance dampers (front & rear) are a bolt on installation for a standard RX. I thought they were bolt on but I had a Lexus parts person tell me I would have to weld brackets onto the car and then bolt the dampers to those brackets.
Old 03-25-16, 09:46 AM
Clutchless

I studied the front dampers and the suspension drawings posted at lexus of south atlanta and concluded they should bolt on to the car. I determined that the part of the frame/suspension they bolt to is the same for all years of the RX.

See this drawing part 48691D is the lateral performance damper
http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...roduct=9917166

Parts 51035 and 51036 that it bolts to are the same for all RXs and should have holes in them for the bolts. The lateral damper has 2 holes on each end. You could always drill the holes...

You can always remove the lower front plastic under body cladding piece to inspect those parts and look for the bolt holes. It is not hard to remove.

Here is a photo https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...1024x768-m.jpg

And another http://img.jugemcart.com/PA01010/865...20151021124530

I do not know about the rear, but I added a trailer hitch which does the same thing to stiffen up the rear frame.

Last edited by Clutchless; 03-25-16 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: After market, body roll improvement for RX350?