RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

...snow finally came....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-12, 08:54 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ...snow finally came....

....yes started early this year, after Sandy now we got a nor'eastern with plenty of snow....on the RX 350 (2012) when driving in snow is the awd system engaged all the time?...or do I have to select any of the buttons in the console?....obviously I am confused...any help is appreciated
Old 11-08-12, 09:28 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

It automatically kicks in when needed. There is a "snow mode" you can select when you are stuck in the snow.
Old 11-08-12, 09:30 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the awd is only on from speeds between 0 and 24mph or something like that. After that, it reverts to FWD until there is slippage at the wheels, in which case awd would engage again as well as the stability control.

You can push the AWD lock on the center console and the awd will stay on, or locked, until 40mph or around there

snow mode does nothing but desensitize the throttle so that you dont send too much power to the wheels accidentally
Old 11-09-12, 08:51 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

...great thanks a lot for the good advise,,,,,
Old 11-10-12, 09:55 AM
Drtdvl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one thing i noticed with the dump of snow we received is that when i am scraping the ice off the rear hatch window, it is pretty difficult to see where the glass meets the metal. I'm pretty sure i continued scraping the metal the first time i cleared the ice off.
Old 11-10-12, 12:05 PM
Cruiter

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

How long would it take for the rear defroster to work? Just curious as my car is usually in the garage and I almost never use it.
Originally Posted by Drtdvl
The one thing i noticed with the dump of snow we received is that when i am scraping the ice off the rear hatch window, it is pretty difficult to see where the glass meets the metal. I'm pretty sure i continued scraping the metal the first time i cleared the ice off.
Old 11-10-12, 03:14 PM
RXSF

probably a very long time. Id venture a guess of 30 minutes
Old 11-10-12, 04:07 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RXSF
probably a very long time. Id venture a guess of 30 minutes
I'm not sure about the RX as mine also sleeps in the garage, but our GS is parked outside and on an icy day, it takes about 15 minutes to melt the ice off.
Old 11-10-12, 07:46 PM
Drtdvl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We normally don't get this kind of weather where we have a large amount of snow (31 cm) over a day and a half and somewhat warm weather (about -3 deg C). My RX sits outside and the ice buildup is quite thick. I do use the rear defrost but I think it actually contributes to the ice buildup as it melts the snow which subsequently freezes.
Old 11-11-12, 04:22 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

the awd is only on from speeds between 0 and 24mph or something like that. After that, it reverts to FWD until there is slippage at the wheels, in which case awd would engage again as well as the stability control.

You can push the AWD lock on the center console and the awd will stay on, or locked, until 40mph or around there

snow mode does nothing but desensitize the throttle so that you dont send too much power to the wheels accidentally
I thought it use to start you out in second gear also.
Old 11-11-12, 04:36 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

^^I thought the same thing too. My sales guy said it was for deep unplowed snow. I used it maybe once on the 330. Never really needed it though. I've been fine with the AWD system.

Some seven inches fell by me but I missed it. I was down in Florida
Old 11-11-12, 04:36 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

^^I thought the same thing too. My sales guy said it was for deep unplowed snow. I used it maybe once on the 330. Never really needed it though. I've been fine with the AWD system.

Some seven inches fell by me but I missed it. I was down in Florida It's pretty much gone already.
Old 11-11-12, 06:03 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 134 Posts

This is not entirely accurate. The AWD will kick on whenever the computer senses the front wheels slipping at any speed. If the there is no slippage, the truck will be FWD at all speeds. The AWD lock button forces the truck to stay AWD up until 40kph, or 24mph.

This system is great for gas mileage, but I would much rather have the permanent 50/50 split the last RX had.
Old 11-11-12, 10:49 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by panyo64
This is not entirely accurate. The AWD will kick on whenever the computer senses the front wheels slipping at any speed. If the there is no slippage, the truck will be FWD at all speeds. The AWD lock button forces the truck to stay AWD up until 40kph, or 24mph.

This system is great for gas mileage, but I would much rather have the permanent 50/50 split the last RX had.
im sorry. Apparently my statements only apply to the hybrid model, in which case there is no awd lock button but snow mode will continue to send power to the rear wheels up to around 40mph
Old 11-12-12, 04:23 AM
svofan1
Pole Position

...so in other words, in my case, do nothing..correct?....the system will (awd) engage and disengage automatically, do I have it?....thnaks again all

Quick Reply: ...snow finally came....