RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Power source for radar detector near rearview mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-13, 06:50 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a general question:

Is it even worth the trouble to bother installing? When is the last time anyone using one has been 'saved' from a ticket? With instant on, you don't have time to slow down to avoid the ticket anyway. I can't recall the last time I've ever had an actual X or K band warning.

Just curious.
Old 08-13-13, 09:37 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local PD has no instant on.

I can tag them before I can see them.

John
Old 08-13-13, 09:56 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

OOH:
Yes, it is worth the trouble, for several reasons.
Instant On is not used exclusively. For regular radar, a good detector (V-1) gives up to a mile of warning, far in excess of what you can see. Good detectors also give warning over hills and around corners, and from behind, also.
I just took several four hour drives in the last month, and was alerted several times to radar cars ahead (OH, IND, ILL, KY, TN). In my experience, I see instant on about 10% of the time.
As for instant on, you can get caught if you are the only one to get targeted in your vicinity. However, with the range of a good detector, you will get signals from when the officer shoots the radar at cars ahead of you, sometimes up to a mile ahead. These are short signals of a few seconds, and are generally in the range of weak signals. With a little experience, it's pretty easy to recognize this pattern for what it is and slow down. I have done this numerous times and watched the drivers behind me speed ahead in the left lane and get caught by the instant-on. Either they had no detector, a cheap one, or treated the weak transient signal as a false.
Thus, for instant on the detector often gives adequate warning - for other radar, the detector gives excellent warning.
I have two cars and one V-1, and each car is hard wired with power from a switched source with the plug coming out just above the passenger visor. I mount the V-1 on the right of the mirror just below the tint strips, and, for road trips, mount the remote readout box on the left of the dash where I can see the arrows and signal strength while still looking ahead. I have had this setup in my cars for 20 years at least, and can't think of anything better. It has saved me from countless tickets.
Highly recommended.
Old 08-13-13, 10:11 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
OOH:
Yes, it is worth the trouble, for several reasons.
Instant On is not used exclusively. For regular radar, a good detector (V-1) gives up to a mile of warning, far in excess of what you can see. Good detectors also give warning over hills and around corners, and from behind, also.
I just took several four hour drives in the last month, and was alerted several times to radar cars ahead (OH, IND, ILL, KY, TN). In my experience, I see instant on about 10% of the time.
As for instant on, you can get caught if you are the only one to get targeted in your vicinity. However, with the range of a good detector, you will get signals from when the officer shoots the radar at cars ahead of you, sometimes up to a mile ahead. These are short signals of a few seconds, and are generally in the range of weak signals. With a little experience, it's pretty easy to recognize this pattern for what it is and slow down. I have done this numerous times and watched the drivers behind me speed ahead in the left lane and get caught by the instant-on. Either they had no detector, a cheap one, or treated the weak transient signal as a false.
Thus, for instant on the detector often gives adequate warning - for other radar, the detector gives excellent warning.
I have two cars and one V-1, and each car is hard wired with power from a switched source with the plug coming out just above the passenger visor. I mount the V-1 on the right of the mirror just below the tint strips, and, for road trips, mount the remote readout box on the left of the dash where I can see the arrows and signal strength while still looking ahead. I have had this setup in my cars for 20 years at least, and can't think of anything better. It has saved me from countless tickets.
Highly recommended.
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. Won't go through the trouble of hard wiring but will at least take my detector out of the glove box again.
Old 08-13-13, 10:32 AM
tfischer

Hard wiring takes about 10-20 minutes, and eliminates the ugly and conspicuous curly cord snaking from the plug below to the detector above (unless you mount it ON the dashboard, in which case you just as well might leave it in the glove box). It also guarantees that the detector goes off when you turn off the ignition, as some lighter sockets are hot all the time.
Which brings us to our next topic: Does anybody have gloves in the glove box?
Isn't it about time we came up with a new name for that?
Old 10-04-13, 05:13 PM
kwtangerin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by darkoozy
i mounted my radar detector under my rear view mirror in 2013 RX350, and powered it from the rear view mirror. It took about 10 minutes to do.

I followed this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post6915617
Sorry to bring up an old thread, just have a clarifying question regarding your statement. You said you followed the steps here but you tap power from the rearview mirror as opposed to the rain sensor?

I was trying to get power from the rain sensor following that guide for the IS, but the wire coloring is different in RX350 (pink, brown - or something.. forgot and forgot to take a picture - and green).. I don't have a multimeter handy so I couldn't figure out which one to use..

I would like to get a multimeter and reattempt but if someone can tell me which one's + and which one is ground it would be very much appreciated!
Old 10-04-13, 08:03 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Isn't it about time we came up with a new name for that?
Hmmm, let me think what people shove in these things these days... Tampon box, gun box, condom box, underwear box, used gum box, McDonald's Wrapper Box?

Yea, I think sometimes being nostalgic and using old fashioned names ain't so bad...

Old 10-04-13, 09:28 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kwtangerin
Sorry to bring up an old thread, just have a clarifying question regarding your statement. You said you followed the steps here but you tap power from the rearview mirror as opposed to the rain sensor?

I was trying to get power from the rain sensor following that guide for the IS, but the wire coloring is different in RX350 (pink, brown - or something.. forgot and forgot to take a picture - and green).. I don't have a multimeter handy so I couldn't figure out which one to use..

I would like to get a multimeter and reattempt but if someone can tell me which one's + and which one is ground it would be very much appreciated!
I have done this last month with my 2010 RX350, Option #1, I followed the first link below using rear view mirror power for hard wire stealth connection and voila works great until I decided to start the car, AFS lights were blinking and AFS malfunction error showed up in my dashboard, gave up. Option #2, followed second link below using rain sensor, very easy, took only 10 to 15 mins, black wire from car harness to red wire ( stealth connector) white wire from car harness to ground wire (stealth connector) works perfectly. If you don't have AFS, rear view or rain sensor works fine.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...010-rx350.html

Last edited by vince22; 10-04-13 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-04-13, 09:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Actually, yes. I normally keep two pair of canvas gloves in the glove box just in case I need to change a tire or perform other work on the vehicle while on the road. Or, to frame OJ Simpson should the need arise.

Seriously though, it was not abnormal for me to pull out a pair to use when pumping gas when I was wearing a suit to the office on a regular basis. One does not always get an opportunity to wash hands before walking into the office to find someone waiting for you immediately upon arrival. Some stations have a dispenser of disposable gloves for you to use, but they are few and if there they are not always stocked.
Old 10-04-13, 10:10 PM
kwtangerin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vince22
I have done this last month with my 2010 RX350, Option #1, I followed the first link below using rear view mirror power for hard wire stealth connection and voila works great until I decided to start the car, AFS lights were blinking and AFS malfunction error showed up in my dashboard, gave up. Option #2, followed second link below using rain sensor, very easy, took only 10 to 15 mins, black wire from car harness to red wire ( stealth connector) white wire from car harness to ground wire (stealth connector) works perfectly. If you don't have AFS, rear view or rain sensor works fine.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...010-rx350.html

I guess the wiring colors are kinda different for my car.. it's the MY2014.. I'll try multimeter and report back. Thanks though!
Old 01-07-14, 06:17 AM
jettlag1
Driver School Candidate

Default radar detector

Can anyone tell me how to remove the overhead pannel in a 2010 rx? I want to power a radar detctor without the cord hanging down to the power supply.

thanks.
Old 01-07-14, 07:35 AM
tfischer

The answer to your question is "yes."
There are several threads here with details and, as I recall, photos, and lots of other tips for mounting and direct wiring for radar detectors.
Try searching and you shall find.
I think you will find that if you unsnap the light lens carefully using a small screwdriver, and remove the bulbs, you will see two screws that hold the light housing in place. Unscrewing these will give you access to the wires that you need.
Old 01-07-14, 09:02 AM
jettlag1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. I removed the two screws and the pannel came loose, but not off, and I don't want pull too hard on it. Is there a certain direction to pull or push it? Thanks .
Old 01-07-14, 11:26 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jettlag1
Can anyone tell me how to remove the overhead pannel in a 2010 rx? I want to power a radar detctor without the cord hanging down to the power supply.

thanks.
Being that you have a 3rd Generation RX, perhaps the moderators would be so kind to merge your posting in with one of the threads there which already exists on the topic, such as:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ew-mirror.html
Old 01-07-14, 11:55 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

merged....thank you RX330inFL

Quick Reply: Power source for radar detector near rearview mirror