RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Car started unattended in closed garage today !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-12, 12:35 PM
MachineMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Car started unattended in closed garage today !!!

Our 2013 RX350 has less than 3K miles on it and is equipped with the factory remote starter option. I was upstairs at the opposite end of the house (40-50 feet from the car) with the remote in my jeans pocket (not tight fitting). Wife calls up to me from the family room adjacent to the garage and says the car just beeped and started by itself in the garage with the garage door closed. I ran downstairs and turned off the car with the remote.

I then went backupstairs to where I was sitting in my office and attempted the normal remote startup sequence and the car did start again ........ soooooooo, the only conclusion I have is that I must have bumped the remote in my pocket in the correct sequence to start the car ... Fortunately there is a 10 minute time out in case my wife had not heard it start .... Never the less ... I guess we should NOT sit with the remote in our pockets in our house !!

The car is going in Friday for a new mirror and door trim so I'll have it checked for propoer operation, fault codes, whatever ...

Am I the first to have this happen?
Old 10-01-12, 12:58 PM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never heard of it happening but kind of scary if you have an attached garage. For peace of mind I would get a CO detector and place it near the garage.
Old 10-01-12, 01:07 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I've learned when I come home to have a place on the kitchen counter where I place my wallet and keys. I don't have the remote start but did hear a beep one afternoon and I guess something in my lap pressed the button enough and opened the back deck. And when I checked I hadn't pulled in as far as normal and it cleared the 'closed' garage door metal parts by about a quarter inch.. And I'm a lot more comfy at home anyway without the stuff I used to carry in my pockets.
Old 10-01-12, 01:53 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember reading in this forum about others experiencing such problems. I myself have learned to have the FOB buttons against my body and not facing outward or have anything else in that pocket with it. I have accidentally unlocked the car, rolled down the windows and opened the sunroof. Did not realize this right away and the car was parked outside, thankfully here in AZ not a big deal. In a rainy climate that would not have been good. Ah Technology!!
Old 10-01-12, 03:07 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I am amazed, because on my 2010, I was lucky to be able to start the car with the remote when I was trying! LOL. It was so bad I elected not to get remote start on my 2012.
Old 10-01-12, 05:18 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Ive definitely had the windows rolled down and the car unlocked when in my pocket so it happens
Old 10-01-12, 06:02 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Accidentally activating remote start would be difficult considering there's a specific sequence to it. I'd definitely get it checked out to be on the safe side. I keep the fob in my pocketbook but had the tailgate open once in a parking lot. Fortunately I saw it through the store window and quickly closed it. You could say the distance limitation is a positive. Otherwise there would be many more RXs running unattended.
Old 10-01-12, 06:30 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I made a leather pouch of fairly stiff leather for my key fob. The pouch has no holes in it to push buttons. I experienced the windows opening while in the garage a few times and the "leather pouch" makes more difficult to accidently push buttons. The key Fob cover offered by the dealer is soft material and has holes in it for easy access to the buttons.
Old 10-02-12, 02:25 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
I am amazed, because on my 2010, I was luIcky to be able to start the car with the remote when I was trying! LOL. It was so bad I elected not to get remote start on my 2012.
I agree. I rarely get it to work on the first try.
Old 10-02-12, 04:57 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't have OCD, but do like to make sure the car is locked. I have turned away to walk off and heard the engine start...
Old 10-02-12, 01:47 PM
MachineMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Both of our remotes have the oem leather wallet with the holes ...

Originally Posted by RGSW
I made a leather pouch of fairly stiff leather for my key fob. The pouch has no holes in it to push buttons. I experienced the windows opening while in the garage a few times and the "leather pouch" makes more difficult to accidently push buttons. The key Fob cover offered by the dealer is soft material and has holes in it for easy access to the buttons.
Both of our remotes have the oem leather wallet with the holes ...
Old 10-02-12, 04:04 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found my liftgate opened once, fortunately, it was in the garage.
Since that time, I never keep the key fob in my pocket.
Old 10-02-12, 04:25 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Not trying to be a wiseguy, but if you are able to park it in an attached garage, why do you have remote start? Is it parked outside at your place of work and you need it for VERY cold days? Just curious...
Old 10-02-12, 06:36 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

For me at least, I'm spoiled. I park across the street in an unattached garage in the winter and enjoy sporting events in the winter and am usually parked two blocks away from the arena. Prefer to get into a warm car, so I use a smart phone application to start the car. The factory remote does not work in either case.
Old 10-02-12, 09:31 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts

Wow. I've had 2 RXs and never had a trunk accidentally open on me. Granted, I don't walk around my house with my keys in my pocket, but even still. You have to hold the trunk button down for a while, plus the car has to already be unlocked.

Quick Reply: Car started unattended in closed garage today !!!