RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 Roof Rack Removal

Old 06-03-10, 08:53 PM
mdv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you took off decals off back of tailgate there was no holes or anything. And do not leave any marks
Old 06-03-10, 09:40 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8330
The holes should already be there. I would consider selling mine, they were only on the 450 for a couple of weeks. What do you think they are worth?

Edit: I also have the cross rails.
How much are you willing to part from the crossbars for?
Old 06-24-10, 08:15 AM
spgdxb
Driver School Candidate

So we just bought our RX-350 and will take delivery next week. My fiance is not at all a fan of the rails and would love to see them gone. We talked to the dealer and he said he would take it off and there would be holes with caps on. I read through the posts and I didn't find if anyone said that putting the caps would seal it off? My concern is water getting to the holes. Also another option we are looking at is changing the rails from the standard grey to white. The RX we bought is the starfire pearl. Anyone know where I can find white rails? I looked online and could not find any.
Old 06-24-10, 02:56 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bolts w/ sealant plug the holes, so no leaks

the caps cover the bolts

never seen white rails
Old 06-24-10, 05:12 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are specific brackets needed that have a rubber seal on the bottom of them. You need to get the new bolts too as they are shorter and have a built in rubber washer. Snap on plastic covers finish them off.

Good luck and welcome. I have not seen a white rack. I sold my roof rack set-up on e-bay for $500 no intention of ever putting it back on.
Old 07-20-10, 06:58 AM
MPREWITT
Driver School Candidate

Default Roof Rail Addition

I have a 2010 RX 450h FWD (Starfire Pearl) that of course did not come with roof rails and want to add them. I test drove the AWD with rails and did not feel that much of a difference in drag/noise etc. I am sure that it was not as quiet, little worse gas mileage, little harder to clean the roof but I can't get over the look of not having the rails.

After reading all of the posts above, it seems that the caps that are over the reservoir lines on the roof cover a set of holes that are pre-drilled for the addition of roof rails to the FWD version even though that is not the "intention" of Lexus. Can anyone verify if adding roof rails is a simple process of removing roof caps, purchasing roof rails with bolts and bolting them in to the pre-drilled holes that reside under the caps?

Does anyone have these roof rails and crossbars and are willing to part with them?
Old 07-20-10, 07:43 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

The holes do exist. To costly for Lexus to make a model with holes and without. It's just a matter of buying all the pieces. You might want to check Craig's List.
Old 07-20-10, 07:49 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MPREWITT
Does anyone have these roof rails and crossbars and are willing to part with them?
I think jskennedy had some "collecting dust" earlier in this thread. Do a PM.
Old 07-25-10, 08:43 PM
gr8330
Rookie

Originally Posted by Johnny
How much are you willing to part from the crossbars for?
I'm going to try and sell them together, that is rails and bars.
Old 11-22-10, 06:19 PM
AceW
Driver School Candidate

Default How to remove Roof Racks

I think my 2011 Rx350 looks so much sleeker without the roof
racks and wanted to know the best and cheapest way to remove
them. Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 11-22-10, 08:11 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you mean the roof racks or the crossmember? If the crossmember there is a thread specifically for that with pictures. Once you remove the crossmember, the roof rack is held on by two bolts at the ends. However before removing, you need to buy a patch to cover the bolt holes. There is also a thread on this but I dont know the subject off hand. You need to search. But its doable.
Old 11-12-11, 09:44 PM
qualityCar
Driver School Candidate

Default Agree - Better look without the roof racks

I totally agree, the Rx350 looks much sleeker without the roof racks. Its seems crazy this is not option, why am I forced to purchase this. A luggage rack, really?
Old 11-13-11, 12:52 AM
AlexB
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful removing the bolts that hold the roof rails on. There are two at each end, and the nuts are mounted on a flat plate inside the roof, and project up through two holes. Those plates are held in place by a spring clip also hidden inside the roof. I cursed and swore through what should have been a simple half hour job to remove both rails when one of those spring clips popped off while undoing the bolts, allowing the retained nuts to drop down inside the roof. I was eventually able to pry down the headliner above the drivers door and force my hand inside to find the parts, pushing the nuts back up and capturing them with a bolt - never did get the spring clip back on, there's not much room to work, and there's an airbag up there! Taking off the grab handle didn't help either - just a tip - you don't need to disassemble the grab handle to take it off! To add insult to injury, the covers that my dealer sold me were too short and too wide, must have been for an earlier model, but he swears he used my VIN number when looking them up. Roof rail reinstalled, parts returned for full refund, much wiser RX owner who's now completely happy to leave those ugly rails alone.
Old 11-13-11, 07:58 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Sewell actually sells the kit you need to remove the roof rack and cover up the holes. There is a different bracket that gets used to hold the cover plates as well as shorter bolts, you do not want to use the ones that came with the roof rack. I took mine off the day I bought it and had no problems. Sold the whole thing on Craig's List as I did not want to store it. I like the look better and it is easier to clean. When I take it in for service other customers ask about my RX not having the rack. Too funny.

PS The hardest part for me was removing the plastic covers on the ends of the rails.

Good Luck
Old 11-13-11, 12:58 PM
lexus4dfw
Rookie

I'm going to remove mine since my RX is Cashmere beige and they look silly painted silver with a beige car, plus we will never use them and its a pain to dry around them when washing the car. Does anyone have handy the Club Lexus discount code for Sewell Lexus? They list them for $91.00 on their site.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RX350 Roof Rack Removal