ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015-212/)
-   -   RX350 Roof Rack Removal (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/657584-rx350-roof-rack-removal.html)

jimmymagic 11-12-12 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by MachineMan (Post 7594278)
There is no easy way to do it yourself. Dealer took mine off for free.
If someone has the procdure I would love to see it.
There are no instructions in the manual and I tried for hours to get them off.

Don't get me wrong. These are after-market crossbars and if you look at the pictures, they go on differently than OEM. Looks like it would take 10 minutes max.

f152tall 11-12-12 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Clutchless (Post 7594518)
I saw some on the DC area Craigslist today. $250 which I think is more than Sewell with our discount. You should be able to confirm their price and negotiate him lower.

It's $208 for the factory cross bars on amazon right now. Just seems like they are a PITA to get on and off. That's what I am learning.

papan 11-13-12 06:58 AM

it takes 5min to put OEM bars on or take them off...the only downside is the clearance between them and the roof.....could not fit one if my bikes racks there...

Originally Posted by f152tall (Post 7595089)
It's $208 for the factory cross bars on amazon right now. Just seems like they are a PITA to get on and off. That's what I am learning.

bagofchips 12-29-12 02:49 PM

Ski rack w/ factory cross bars - best solution - RX350 crossbars are moronic

On my RX300, I was able to use the factory cross bars and mount a simple Yakima clamp-style ski rack such that I had enough spacing front to back on the bars to clamp the skis so that the entirety of the bindings were between the 2 cross bars. (The racks clamped in front of the front toepiece and in back of the rear heel piece, respectively.)

On the RX350, I'm dumbfounded. It seems that the maximum spacing front to back for the bars will not give me enough clearance such that I can similarly rack the skis w/ the bindings between the 2 mounts on the cross bars. You just can't slide the crossbars forward and backward enough to allow this. It seems absolutely asinine that I can't slide the x-bars to have sufficient spacing like I could on my RX300.

So, I'm totally up in arms about how best to do a ski rack. It is impossible to have a workable clamp rack if you have to clamp between the front and rear bindings, especially if you have elevation plates on your bindings (like some of our skis do). The skis won't be balanced and they're too thick, too variable in thickness.

I assume I'm not the first to be let down by the RX350 crossbars--- what did you choose to do instead of the "conventional" approach I'm suggesting here?

RX330inFL 12-29-12 04:04 PM

Did you see the Lexus ski rack and ski rack adapters?

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2010/2446.html

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2010/4441.html

bagofchips 12-29-12 06:22 PM

Thanks. That rack is +/- like the one I have. The issue is the span that the cross bar can provide front to back between cross bars. The adaptors appear to be a way to attach the rack to the rails w/o using the cross bars which defeats my purpose. (EDIT: Correction - looked at the installation instructions and they attach to the cross bars and in turn the rack attaches to them. My point remains.) I bet you anything that rack will not work for the same problem I describe unless your bindings are set for ladies boots oh say size 8 or smaller.

The RX350 cross bars can be at most 20.5" (on center) apart. Compare that to the adjustable cross bars I just measured on my mother-in-law's Grand Cherokee or my sister's Ford Explorer (both can easily be 60" apart or more).

HERE'S HOW I SOLVED THE PROBLEM
I did look at the installation instructions and noticed that at both ends of the roof rails are these rubber "stoppers" that are 3" long each that control how far forward / aft the rails can be positioned on the rails. Other than stopping my ski rack from working, I'm not sure what those stoppers are really doing or why they need to be that long. Wind noise abatement measure, perhaps. I removed them all. Cut 2 in half to create 4 1.5" stoppers. This yielded 3" additional span, just enough to get the rack to work as desired.

If you ski and use a hinge rack mounted to the cross bars (and have normal mens size feet say 10 or bigger) you would have this same problem.

Hope this fix helps somebody else.

shaolin 01-28-13 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by RX330inFL (Post 7674327)

Do you know if I need to buy both ski rack and ski rack adapters, or I can simply buy the ski rack only? My intention is to put 2 snowboards.

Dolphin 02-20-13 10:26 AM

Roof Rack suggestions?

I would like to add storage capacity to my RX. I was considering this roof box...seems like a nice fit for the RX... and 18 cu ft is certainly a significant amount of added space.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...e=UTF8&index=0

In the past, I have had problems with these racks jumping up and down at high speeds.... has anyone experienced this with the RX? If so, I would consider adding a 3rd cross member. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated...

Cruiter 02-20-13 01:25 PM

Multiple roof rack threads

Folks, we (moderators) need a little help here. There are multiple threads with roof racks and it makes things confusing. Anita and I are merging threads with a common topic into one to make things easier, roof racks are just one.

It would help us a great deal if when starting a new post you use the search feature to see if a thread is already started and post inside of that. It will keep our RX forum neat & tidy and from looking like my son's rooms when they were young :p. And it will aid others when searching for answers to a question.

Thanks

wuniat 04-12-13 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by bagofchips (Post 7674469)
Thanks. That rack is +/- like the one I have. The issue is the span that the cross bar can provide front to back between cross bars. The adaptors appear to be a way to attach the rack to the rails w/o using the cross bars which defeats my purpose. (EDIT: Correction - looked at the installation instructions and they attach to the cross bars and in turn the rack attaches to them. My point remains.) I bet you anything that rack will not work for the same problem I describe unless your bindings are set for ladies boots oh say size 8 or smaller.

The RX350 cross bars can be at most 20.5" (on center) apart. Compare that to the adjustable cross bars I just measured on my mother-in-law's Grand Cherokee or my sister's Ford Explorer (both can easily be 60" apart or more).

HERE'S HOW I SOLVED THE PROBLEM
I did look at the installation instructions and noticed that at both ends of the roof rails are these rubber "stoppers" that are 3" long each that control how far forward / aft the rails can be positioned on the rails. Other than stopping my ski rack from working, I'm not sure what those stoppers are really doing or why they need to be that long. Wind noise abatement measure, perhaps. I removed them all. Cut 2 in half to create 4 1.5" stoppers. This yielded 3" additional span, just enough to get the rack to work as desired.

If you ski and use a hinge rack mounted to the cross bars (and have normal mens size feet say 10 or bigger) you would have this same problem.

Hope this fix helps somebody else.

Thanks for the tip. I have been looking at these black stoppers and wondering if something like this was possible. Front and back they consume about 6" of rack space, along with the wide track that the factory crossbars have that make the rack practically useless; what a dumb design. Did you ever have any negative effect from cutting the rubber stoppers in half?

satnav 05-09-13 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by AlexB (Post 6817947)
Be careful removing the bolts that hold the roof rails on. There are two at each end, and the nuts are mounted on a flat plate inside the roof, and project up through two holes. Those plates are held in place by a spring clip also hidden inside the roof. I cursed and swore through what should have been a simple half hour job to remove both rails when one of those spring clips popped off while undoing the bolts, allowing the retained nuts to drop down inside the roof. I was eventually able to pry down the headliner above the drivers door and force my hand inside to find the parts, pushing the nuts back up and capturing them with a bolt - never did get the spring clip back on, there's not much room to work, and there's an airbag up there! Taking off the grab handle didn't help either - just a tip - you don't need to disassemble the grab handle to take it off! To add insult to injury, the covers that my dealer sold me were too short and too wide, must have been for an earlier model, but he swears he used my VIN number when looking them up. Roof rail reinstalled, parts returned for full refund, much wiser RX owner who's now completely happy to leave those ugly rails alone.

I plan on removing my roof racks later this week. But after reading this post I am getting very worried. Is this a common problem? And what exactly should I do to prevent this from happening?

So to prevent this if I remove one screw and make sure a second screw is in place but loose then there is no chance that the bracket will fall in.

thanks

lexus114 08-28-15 06:40 AM

roof rack removal

hi all. i just bought a roof rack removal kit from a lexus dealer on ebay. what do you guys think of the look with out a roof rack? i cant find too many pics of them with out it on. and i never see any in my area with it removed. but im thinking it would have a cleaner look especially with my black color. what do you guys think?

kitlz 08-28-15 09:06 AM

You probably don't see many RXs around here without roof racks because FWD is pretty rare. I've thought about it myself a few times to make clearing snow off the roof easier. Even polishing too. But I want to stay true to the AWD SUV looks. Yours will definitely stand out from the crowd. Just make sure you use plumbers tape on the bolts to prevents leaks. And be sure to post pics when you're done.

Lexwerkes 08-30-15 01:04 AM

I have a 450h without the roof rails and crossbars. it is does appear sleeker and is easier to clean. Some have also reported a small bump in gas mileage.

If you do remove it I would be interested in buying your roof rails. Although I like to look of the no rails, I want to carry my kayaks. Sent you a PM

Raeanj 08-30-15 10:10 AM

I'm thinking about having my roof rack removed at my 5000k service. My rx is black and I think it will look better without it. It would be nice if it helped with the excessive wind noise, but probably not.