RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rodent got into my RX

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-15, 01:01 PM
AZJoe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
AZJoe, I've merged your thread with this one. Take a look through the posts for suggestion. I would recommend getting the A/C system treated. You can do it yourself or have the dealer handle it. Then maybe try some suggestions in here to keep them out. Good luck.
Thanks, Anita

The real question I had is there a screen or some part missing that allowed access. (I don't want a snake like one person had... we have rattlers here)
Old 05-04-16, 06:01 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default found baby mouse & then a nest

was driving home last wed & looked down in passenger foot where i saw a baby mouse squirming around, not cool

got home & searched every conceivable spot for mouse nest but found none

left a mouse trap in the car & next morning found a dead mouse

friday morning i found 2 more babies in passenger foot, sigh

driving to work monday & got to wondering how many babies a mouse typically has

got to work & google informed me it was 3-14, really not cool

driving home i was getting whiffs of a dead-animal smell,

remembered the cabin air filter in the glove box & decided to check it when i got home

found a nest & 1 dead baby

Old 05-04-16, 06:22 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Must be a wonderful feeling to be part of the circle of life!

But seriously double check everywhere around the filter box for anywhere another pinky could have crawled around and gotten stuck and/or died.

And replace the filter. Unless you like being misted with rat urine lol.
Old 05-04-16, 06:52 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Based on what that nest looks like I'm surprised your RX didn't have a bad smell inside.
Old 05-04-16, 09:04 AM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope the mice didn't chew any cables!
Old 05-06-16, 07:09 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Holy Mackerel! Where did the fiberglass insulation come from?
I have never seen anything like that. Thanks for the "believe it or not" pictures.
Ray A.
Old 06-07-18, 11:20 AM
rvodar
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus wires being eaten

Has any case been filed against Lexus for their use of soy wire coating being the reason that the wires are being chewed?
Old 06-07-18, 12:03 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

I don't know but this issue is common to many different auto manufacturers. Most of them probably buy the same wire from the same groups of suppliers.
Old 06-08-18, 10:19 AM
Mrvmax
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just an FYI for anyone trying to get rid of odors. Ozone does well to remove odor and there are more and more portable devices for sale, mainly for hunting applications. I use one that plugs into the cigarette lighter to remove diesel smell from my truck when hunting. You need to realize it will destroy rubber so don’t use it for long periods. You also do not want to breathe it.
Old 12-21-19, 01:04 PM
bvdub72
Driver School Candidate

Default Injector harness rat damage

Hey everyone. So my Mom took her 2012 RX 350 to the dealer because another shop noticed some rat damage in the engine compartment. They found a chewed wire at a fuel injector connector. Not a big deal right? Ive been a tech at a VW dealer for 18 years and we repair wiring harnesses all the time because of rat damage. But the dealer told her they need to replace the entire engine harness! She will have to pay $1000 deductible. They said the wires are shielded and cant be repaired. Cant I just put a new connector with pigtail on it and be done with it?
Old 12-21-19, 02:08 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

Not sure but it sounds like the dealer just wants a lot of money. This thread goes into great detail on that subject. With your skill set, maybe you should first try to repair it yourself before she pays $1,000. I think other folks here just got the wires repaired.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...nto-my-rx.html

Look at this thread on a RAV4 with the V6 (same engine as RX) as he was told they could use pigtails to fix it. https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...amage.1506490/

You may also want to search the Toyota Highlander forum at this link (2008-2013) is a mechanical twin and more of those folks do their own repairs. https://www.toyotanation.com/forums/...der-forum.207/

Last edited by Clutchless; 12-21-19 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-21-19, 03:40 PM
bvdub72
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Not sure but it sounds like the dealer just wants a lot of money. This thread goes into great detail on that subject. With your skill set, maybe you should first try to repair it yourself before she pays $1,000. I think other folks here just got the wires repaired.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...nto-my-rx.html

Look at this thread on a RAV4 with the V6 (same engine as RX) as he was told they could use pigtails to fix it. https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...amage.1506490/

You may also want to search the Toyota Highlander forum at this link (2008-2013) is a mechanical twin and more of those folks do their own repairs. https://www.toyotanation.com/forums/...der-forum.207/
Thanks for the links Clutchless. I really appreciate it. Im going to try installing the pigtails first.
Old 03-22-20, 05:30 PM
rababich
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2012 RX350 Misfiring

Our 2012 with 85K has been running great for the past 15K that we have owned it, no issues.
Today started it up to go to the store and could tell at idle it was running rough, like a cylinder was misfiring.
Driving down the street it was definitely misfiring, seemed like just one cylinder, so turned around and changed cars.
Our other cars are Fords so I know what misfires feel like.
I carry an Autel MS300 Universal OBD2 Code Reader in each car just to check for codes, but I get an "Error" message on the code reader with the RX.
The product description on Amazon states it will work with a Lexus, seems strange, I'm just looking for the code.
It just started raining so I'll wait to tomorrow to break out the Techstream and try it out, haven't needed it before.
Old 03-23-20, 04:26 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

Could be something as simple as bad gas. When did you last fill it up?
Old 03-23-20, 07:18 AM
N4wwt
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check spark plug wires, hoses and of course gas. If you park outside, rodents love to nest and eat our vehicles. Can cause all kinds of problems.

Quick Reply: Rodent got into my RX