RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Semi-analine leather and stereo system

Old 09-25-12, 08:19 PM
Larmik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Semi-analine leather and stereo system

I am thinking of getting the option of the luxury package for my 2013 RX 450h. Do the semi-analine leather seats need more care? Do you need to be more careful with them. Also, I don't know as much as many of you about stereo sound, but will I notice the difference between the Mark Levinson system vs the premium sound?
Thanks for your response.
Old 09-25-12, 09:25 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't know too much about the leather options but with ML system over the premium system you will definitely notice the difference.
Old 09-25-12, 10:44 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The semi-aniline leather does require a little more care. Don't over clean it. I have the Parchment and the color is starting to come off. I am a cleaning fool so that may have something to do with it. I have the ML and I do enjoy it, not sure if it's leaps and bounds better than the premium, which they have made changes to for 2013.
Old 09-25-12, 11:22 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
The semi-aniline leather does require a little more care. Don't over clean it. I have the Parchment and the color is starting to come off. I am a cleaning fool so that may have something to do with it. I have the ML and I do enjoy it, not sure if it's leaps and bounds better than the premium, which they have made changes to for 2013.
I am perfectly happy with theh 12 speaker sound system in mine; can't justify $1,000 for ML sound system in a vehicle; I had an excellent Bose System in my Grand Prix GT for $350 and it was nice, but just don't play tunes enough; I listen to XM radio a lot when traveling!!
Old 09-26-12, 05:46 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

I have the Semi-Analine Leather. At 38,000 miles and my 285lb *** climbing in and out of it, the driver's seat is showing some cracks. That having been said, it's not showing to many and they are not at all deep. They're simply wrinkles. I have never conditioned the leather and I only use Meguiare's Leather Cleaning wipes to get dirt off the tan.

Having now felt the rough, thick leather in the base car, I wouldn't have done it any other way unless I had kids.
Old 09-26-12, 07:04 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the luxury package in my RX450h and I think it is the right choice. My wife has the premium sound system in her ES and I believe it is lame by comparison to my Mark Levinson.
Old 09-27-12, 12:20 PM
Cruzer1
Driver School Candidate

I have the ML system in both my 2010 and my 2013. When shopping for my 2010 I conducted a test of the ML vs. non-ML systems. The ML system had the edge when it comes to higher volume levels. In my opinion the non-ML system was more harsh at higher volumes while the ML system sounded more solid. Both systems are acceptable but I listen to a lot of smooth jazz so the ML system was the best choice for the money for me.
Old 09-27-12, 01:39 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will suggest that you try both types of seats - I believe your luxury package also comes standard with the power seat thigh support or extender at the front. Both the standard seat with the regular leather and the one with the "upgraded leather" and the thigh support or seat extender look the same but fit differently and I can tell you from experience that almost every part of those seats are different. Do yourself a favour and try both before you buy!! They have vastly improved though since the 2010 model year and are now much more supportive!

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 10-01-12, 12:48 PM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The semi-aniline leather is dyed all the way through the material. The standard leather is dyed only on the surface and is then coated with a clear coat for protection. In addition to being softer and more supple, the semi-aniline leather does require more care. It needs to be cleaned and conditoned a little more frequently. The SA leather responds better to leather conditioners than does the standard leather. This is because the SA leather is not clear coated. So the conditioner actually penetrates the leather. Although it takes a little more care, the difference in feel makes it worth it - to me.
Old 10-01-12, 01:40 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MDames2
The semi-aniline leather is dyed all the way through the material. The standard leather is dyed only on the surface and is then coated with a clear coat for protection. In addition to being softer and more supple, the semi-aniline leather does require more care. It needs to be cleaned and conditioned a little more frequently. The SA leather responds better to leather conditioners than does the standard leather. This is because the SA leather is not clear coated. So the conditioner actually penetrates the leather. Although it takes a little more care, the difference in feel makes it worth it - to me.
Oh I wish this was true. Aniline leather is dyed all the way through and there is no top coat, Semi is not. Hence the word Semi. SA leather does have less of a protective coating because the dye does soak in further but it is top coated, just not as heavily. I know this as I am dealing with a Leather Company right now on trying to restore the color to the leather in my RX. I sent them a sample of the leather and they did confirm it is a top quality leather and it is a SA but, as the rep said, all SA Leather has a slight top coat, otherwise stains would soak right in. I am awaiting my re-dye kit now. I condition the leather every 2-3 months and I use Zaino Products. Only 16K on the RX.
Old 10-31-12, 06:07 PM
watch37
Driver

I owned a 2010 RX 450 H with the SA leather and premium sound. I now own a 2009 LX 570 with M L sound and SA leather. The stereo on my LX is FAR superior....it's not even close. Sound is soooo deep and rich in my LX . It sounds like I'm in a studio. Beautiful sound. Get the SA leather...the base leather just feels plasticky if that makes sense. The SA is very soft, which means it will need more care and will show wear and tear a bit easier. But having experienced both, I cannot go back to the base leather in the future.