RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Coming Up on 1 yr. Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-12, 07:03 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coming Up on 1 yr. Anniversary

December will be our 1st. anniversary with our new 2012 RX 350 and for the most part, we're very happy. My wife has your own car so I drive the RX 99% of the time.

One thing puzzles me and I notice it more and more is surface "road noise" from various road surfaces which I think should be better for this price and make SUV.

We read all the time were the RX 350 is so tight and quiet, but when it comes to road noise it not.
When I'm traveling on new smooth blacktop it's very quiet, but then again so is a go-cart.

I think this was discussed here before about the brand of tires that make up the difference.
My RX 350 came with new Bridgestone tires.

Your thoughts please.
Old 10-24-12, 07:59 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
December will be our 1st. anniversary with our new 2012 RX 350 and for the most part, we're very happy. My wife has your own car so I drive the RX 99% of the time.

One thing puzzles me and I notice it more and more is surface "road noise" from various road surfaces which I think should be better for this price and make SUV.

We read all the time were the RX 350 is so tight and quiet, but when it comes to road noise it not.
When I'm traveling on new smooth blacktop it's very quiet, but then again so is a go-cart.

I think this was discussed here before about the brand of tires that make up the difference.

Your thoughts please.
I agree, i have michelins and i hear way too much road noise when on uneven or bumpy roads. I cant imagine what your going through as i hear bridgestone tires are worse. Also my whole roof makes creaking noises (best i can explain) when going over uneven roads or pot holes. It seems like my whole car is gonna fall apart sometimes. Scary. Wasn't expecting this from a SUV that costs this much.
Old 10-24-12, 08:01 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Different tires can make a world of difference with regards to road noise. On my GS400 I had dunlops once that we as loud as truck tires. Several other tires had varying degrees of it - some more at slower speeds and some more on the freeway. My latest is a set of Michinlins that are quiet at all speeds. The best I've had. So yes, this can make a lot of difference.
Old 10-25-12, 08:55 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Your thoughts please.
Do you have 19" wheels? I have heard they are nosier. We have the 19's on our RX and I agree with you that some road surfaces are a bit noisy, although our RX replaced a RAV4 which was way nosier so I can't really complain.
Old 10-25-12, 09:29 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Your thoughts please.
I too am coming up on my 1st. anniversary with my 2012 RX450h and am very pleased with the quality of the vehicle. My RX also came with Bridgestone tires and they do tend to transmit road noise from anything other than a smooth surface. I also believe that Michelin tires are no better in sound quality contrary to popular belief. I have noticed that lowering the tire pressure softens the ride and helps in quieting the noise.
Old 10-25-12, 03:08 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VVRX
I have noticed that lowering the tire pressure softens the ride and helps in quieting the noise.
Maybe I'll try this next.
If I lower my tires below 32psi, wouldn't that set off the low tire light??
Old 10-25-12, 04:01 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Maybe I'll try this next.
If I lower my tires below 32psi, wouldn't that set off the low tire light??
At my 5000 mile service my tire pressure was set at 30 psi cold and it felt like the tires handled the road better. I have since raised them to 32 psi to enable better mileage but at a cost of more noise.
You can ask Lexus about this at your 10,000 mile service.
Old 10-25-12, 04:20 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VVRX
You can ask Lexus about this at your 10,000 mile service.
Great idea..........