RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 Rx450h Chirping!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-12, 06:02 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
Anita, if you can only activate it on an incline then it's not the HAC that's beeping. There are very few hills in the Houston area - close to the coast and very flat. That's why torrential downpours cause flash flooding. The best "hills" around here are the entry/exit ramps off the major freeways...probably not a good place to test this feature!

DunWkg, I looked at the manual (pp 341-342) and wondered if the incline was required. It does not list that condition under "Hill-Start assist control can be operated when" on p341.
Well, I tried hill assist on a flat surface and it works. One beep and light on the dash comes on, then two beeps after I stepped on the gas. And I didn't need to press on the brake pedal that hard to engage it. So I wouldn't rule it out.

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Could be radio interference from the wife's tracking device .
Speaking from experience, Jim
Old 09-12-12, 09:24 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Well, I tried hill assist on a flat surface and it works. One beep and light on the dash comes on, then two beeps after I stepped on the gas. And I didn't need to press on the brake pedal that hard to engage it. So I wouldn't rule it out.
Hmmm...perhaps I don't have the technique down? You stop, press the brake harder. The light comes on and it beeps? I've tried that numerous times and have yet to activate HAC. I even tried easing up on the brake then pushing it again, even to the floor. Nothing.
Old 09-12-12, 11:47 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I've tried that same process on my '13 450h and nothing happens. Bet it was discontinued on the 2013's like several other things.
Old 09-12-12, 12:45 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP
I've tried that same process on my '13 450h and nothing happens. Bet it was discontinued on the 2013's like several other things.
I have hill assist on my 2013 450h, and also had it on my previous 2010 450h. If you are just testing, it will only activate once the parking brake is released and the gear shift is not in park. Once you do that, step firmly on the brake pedal and listen for the beep, as well as look for the light in the instrument panel.
Old 09-12-12, 12:57 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, with all the back-and-forth here, I was just out trying this myself on my 2013 RX450h in the driveway, when go3Ds was responding. It works on mine too. I think it's important for folks to take a quick look at the manual, pp341-2 as David's post yesterday suggests. There are quite a number of caveats how this works, when it won't, and how it auto cancels.
Old 09-12-12, 01:28 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by go3Ds
I have hill assist on my 2013 450h, and also had it on my previous 2010 450h. If you are just testing, it will only activate once the parking brake is released and the gear shift is not in park. Once you do that, step firmly on the brake pedal and listen for the beep, as well as look for the light in the instrument panel.
Is it possible this is a FWD 450h only option? Perhaps it's not "needed" with AWD? Is it necessary to set the parking brake first, then release it? All the manual says is the parking brake cannot be applied.

When I contacted my dealer rep today he said they tried it on an incline in the parking garage where they keep all the newbies and it worked. I didn't think to ask about AWD. He thought an incline was required but the manual certainly does not state that.
Old 09-12-12, 02:08 PM
BertL

My 2013 RX450h is AWD with all the US bells and whistle options except for blind spot monitor and f-sport appearance package. It sure seems to operate, or at least engage, in my flat driveway. ...don't know what else to say to those that can't seem to get it to work, except check out that manual -- lots of caveats in there, including stomping TOO hard and a suggestion to try again pushing a little easier (seems to need the right touch to get it to engage).
Old 09-12-12, 02:46 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

I have this awful feeling that I'm missing something really simple here...and I'll feel like an idiot when I figure out what I'm not doing quite right.
I used to deal with this sort of thing all the time when I was in a support job many years ago. People would tell me they didn't change anything but the program just no longer worked. They'd insist that nothing was changed. Then I'd ask them to walk me thru each specific step. Low and behold...something HAD changed - usually they were using a different set of data. They just didn't think that should make any difference.
Old 09-12-12, 03:51 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
I have this awful feeling that I'm missing something really simple here...and I'll feel like an idiot when I figure out what I'm not doing quite right.
[/INDENT]
John, I've searched the online manual and looked at the 2013 RX brochure for the correct term for the feature. No luck. However, since you live in Texas (unless the hill country) and I live in South Louisiana, it seems way too complicated to worry about. Even if I actually found a hill anywhere within 350 miles of my home, I would forget how to use it by the time I arrived to try it.
Old 09-13-12, 05:38 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Just wondering .... Did this thread subject change, or did we decide the OP's chirping issue was the Hill Start Assist? It seems odd it might be that, since he doesn't seem to be able to set it intentionally

Last edited by Woodrow; 09-13-12 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 06:02 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Good point Woody. Need some other choices, if he can't activate the function.

Could be a regional option as others have suggested. Especially since GoHuskers may not have it either. Nebraska is pretty flat and hill-start assist may not be needed in those areas Lexus determined as flat....
Old 09-13-12, 06:46 AM
yahj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you decided to try it again try this, while moving press the brake as you normally do to stop then press harder and hold for a few seconds.
Old 09-13-12, 01:23 PM
BertL

OK, because of this thread, I purposely spent some focused time this morning trying to recreate chirping sounds and play with the hill assist feature on my 2013 AWD RX450h while running errands.

Net of playing with as many buttons, gizmos, and settings in my ride, both sitting still and when driving, there are not a lot of things that produce a "chirp" sort of sound to my ears. Hill assist is one of the few in the truck that sounds like a chirp to me. A cell phone going off with an alert of some sort can also sound like a chirp depending on the setting with my iPhone, and it was even more suspect when I had the phone in my pocket or inside the closed console or glove compartment when the alarm went off. (Yes, I really did try to think outside the box.)

Of special note is the icon that comes on the dash when the chirp sounds for hill assist, is located towards the far right of the display... Nearly hidden by my right hand on the steering wheel, so one should look closely for it if you hear the chirp -- depending on your height, seat and steering adjustment, it may not be visible, and remember, hill assist self cancels after a couple of seconds, so it may disappear before you think to look for it.

I was able to engage hill assist while on flat roads and I purposely went to a stop signal where I was going up hill, as well as found another where I was stopped going significantly downhill. In all three cases, I could engage hill assist, and received the chirp and dash icon when I did so. You engage hill assist when you are effectively stopped, and in gear, by pushing on the brake peddle a couple of ways... As yahj indicates, one way is if your foot is on the brake, push down further and it will engage; another is if your foot is off the brake (eg sitting on a flat road), to mash your foot down on the brake beyond where you normally would when trying to come to a complete stop in a shorter distance. It is a bit tricky to make it work that way though... Once I tried really hitting the brake when stopped like I was in some sort of panic stop situation, and hill assist did not engage (as the manual indicates, you can push too hard and it won't engage by design). Anyway, all that to say, at least in my 2013, I confirm each point in the manual is how my truck operates.

So, now we're back to the original OP question of the chirp. If it is from his RX, unless there is some odd failure somewhere none of us can think of, accidentialy enabling hill assist when you are stopped and perhaps not seeing the dash icon hidden behind the steering wheel seems plausible to me. That's at least my final 2-cents on the subject for today.
Old 09-13-12, 04:16 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

oooh, ooooh, slapping hand to forehead... the chirp of the iPhone via bluetooth through the stereo. Mine does it all the time, text messages, emails, notifications from news agencies. That's a chirp as opposed to a beep of hill-start assist.

Last edited by DunWkg; 09-13-12 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 09-13-12, 06:10 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Bert, thanks for the page number in the Owner's Manual where I found the description of how the Hill-start assist works. I had the concept completely wrong. My 2010 LS460 had a feature that allowed the emergency brake to be automatically applied when stopped, such as at a traffic light. The feature allowed the owner to remove his/her foot from the brake and this feature would prevent creeping. To engage it, you pressed a button on the steering wheel and it remained active until you turned off the car. I forgot to mention the emergency brake disengaged immediately when depressing the accelerator.

The feature on the LS did not disengage without either using the accelerator or turning it off, but it also worked as a hill-start assist. The actual Hill-start assist on our RX only prevents it from moving for 2 seconds according to the Owner's Manual. Seems like applying the emergency brake manually and then disengaging it when ready to move would be more practical. But then, since I don't have hills anywhere near my home, what do I know?

Quick Reply: 2013 Rx450h Chirping!