RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus newbie's questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 09:20 PM
ramaka02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Lexus newbie's questions

Hi All:
I am in the market to buy an 2010 Lexus RX 350, but before I say yes to the dealer thought I would get your inputs:
1.) Planning to buy a 2010 Lexus RX 350 AWD with Comfort, Navigation, Premium and Tow prep package installed. The vehicle has around 21K miles and single owner and the dealer is not budging from the $33.8K price tag-do you think its a good deal? I test drove it and loved it!
2.) Since it is a 2 year old SUV, do I still need to put PREMIUM gas?
3.) How do you feel about the Navigation? So far ts been a mixed review I have read on the net?
4.) Does it come with a 6 CD changer with MP3 capability? The dealer could not answer this since its primarily a Chevy/Cadillac dealership.
5.) How do I go about updating the GPS maps?
6.) Any help on how to check whether the existing tires are good or need to be replaced?

Thanks for your attention and I am sure your replies would help me making my decision!
Old 08-23-12, 01:31 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

1.) Planning to buy a 2010 Lexus RX 350 AWD with Comfort, Navigation, Premium and Tow prep package installed. The vehicle has around 21K miles and single owner and the dealer is not budging from the $33.8K price tag-do you think its a good deal? I test drove it and loved it!
>> Check the price for sanity at kbb.com. My dealer here in CA still has a number of 2012's and I'm pretty sure you can get $8,000 off one of them ... you might want to price out a 2012.

>> First, 2010 RX was introduced in 2009 ... so check it's mfg date and don't buy a three year old card thinking it is only 2 years old. I purchased my 2010 in Sept of 2010 ... but, early cars were out June of 2009. There are many threads that cover the Regular vs. Premium debate. Short story is some use regular, some do not. You can lose HP and possibly gas mileage; may not be worth it.

3.) How do you feel about the Navigation? So far ts been a mixed review I have read on the net?
>> Pretty integral to car. I would definitely get it. Most of the UI to the car is through the NAV screen. Every NAV system is obsolete the day you buy your car ... still worth it anyway. There are a couple of threads on this topic.

4.) Does it come with a 6 CD changer with MP3 capability? The dealer could not answer this since its primarily a Chevy/Cadillac dealership.
>> RX came with std audio, upgraded audio and ML audio. I have upgraded audio and it has 6 CD changer. You can play MP3 with the system. It is unclear which audio system you have in this car, but I think it has 6 CD plus MP3. Just take a few CDs down to the dealership and you can test.

>> $169 plus labor at your Lexus dealer ... but, probably not required at this time. You can wait a year or more before upgrading.

6.) Any help on how to check whether the existing tires are good or need to be replacement?
>> Measure tire tread depth (tool is cheap and can be purchased at auto supplies store) look up tires on web and see mfg'er recommendations on tread depth. If too much work, just ask dealership to measure tread depth for you.

Last edited by UCSB; 08-23-12 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-23-12, 10:54 AM
DINH300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

-$33.8K That is a very reasonable price for what your getting. Down here in south florida your looking at almost $37K for what you want. If you drove it and love it what are you waiting for?

-It's required for the 2010 to use Premium fuel 91-93. You will feel and see a difference in performance and milage. If your planning on keeping the car for a long period of time then I suggest you use Premium to prevent unwanted maintenance.

The GPS Navi interface is just like anything that has to deal with software from phones, computers, tablets, and etc. Once you learn the interface if will be 2nd nature.

Yes, for a factory unit its sounds good

You can buy the Update and do it yourself its pretty easy. but I wouldn't buy the update for another 2 or 3 years. but heres where you can get it http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2010/4467.html

6.) Any help on how to check whether the existing tires are good or need to be replaced?

Take a penny and flip Abram Lincoln's head upside down and place it on the groves of the tire if his head doesn't touch the thread then the tires need to be changed.

Last edited by DINH300; 08-23-12 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-23-12, 11:42 AM
NCRon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramaka02
Hi All:
I am in the market to buy an 2010 Lexus RX 350, but before I say yes to the dealer thought I would get your inputs:

Thanks for your attention and I am sure your replies would help me making my decision!
The price appears to be right on the money for a car of the type you've described that is in "excellent" condition. However, only about 3% of all vehicles meet the requirements for "excellent." The Lexus navigation system is quite good and can be updated at your Lexus dealer for a few hundred dollars. The RX has never actually "required" premium gas but until the 2013 model premium was recommended with the caveat that regular would work if the owner prefers. I ran regular in my 2005 RX330 for several years (after running premium for the first few before wising up) and had no problems at all before deciding to trade it at 85K miles. Since your tires are only a couple of years old, the only thing you need to worry about is tread wear unless there are signs of impact damage. You can buy a simple, inexpensive gauge to tell you how many thirty-seconds of tread remain. Worry only if fewer than 5/32 remain or if there are signs of very uneven wear or dips in the tread. The current tires on the RX you are considering probably are no more than half way worn out. I think you will enjoy the RX. I just bought my third one, a 2013 RX350, so obviously I am a fan. Lexus vehicles are extremely reliable and long-lasting. Your RX is still under warranty so that should give you some added protection. Enjoy.
Old 08-23-12, 02:15 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Correction

The map update is one thing the owner can not do themselves. It has to be done at the dealership, the parts dept issues a key on a flash drive and the technician connects the car's computer through his laptop to a server somewhere in the Lexus cloud and and the map update is done that way. On the earlier models all you needed was the DVD. Probably because a lot of them were copied Lexus came up with another sure fire fraud prevention technique.

But take heart, you probably don't really need the update. It doesn't change any of the features, just updates the map's where they may have added a road or park etc.
Originally Posted by DINH300

You can buy the Update and do it yourself its pretty easy. but I wouldn't buy the update for another 2 or 3 years.
Old 08-23-12, 03:52 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

33K sounds great for what your getting. Here in Texas when i bought mine back in April of this year i paid $36,980 + TTL which ended up comimg out to a little over 39K. Mine also had 21K miles on it. Same packages too.
Old 08-23-12, 07:10 PM
ramaka02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your time and inputs. I signed the papers tonight and it'll be mine tomorrow..woohoo! Very excited about it!
Old 08-24-12, 01:43 AM
shanmand
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramaka02
Thank you all for your time and inputs. I signed the papers tonight and it'll be mine tomorrow..woohoo! Very excited about it!
Congratulations on your purchase, you'll definitely enjoy it.