RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Toyota service question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 09:23 AM
saz25
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota service question

Hi,
We are strongly considering a new 2013 RX450h. The Lexus dealership is about 30 miles away. That's the closest Lexus dealership to us. However, there is a Toyota dealership about 5 miles away. We've purchased a couple cars from Toyota over the years. As a matter of fact, we bought 2 hybrids (Camry and Prius)

My question is: Can we and should we go to the Toyota dealership for the minor or schedule maintenance items? Of course the Lexus dealer tried to discourage me from doing so. The dealerships are not owned by the same company.

Any opinions or experiences on the subject of Toyota servicing Lexus RX vehicles?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-13-12, 09:31 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes you can. There are other recent threads on this subject and people have had good success doing non-warranty maintenance items at Toyota dealers at less cost. Some Toyota dealers will do non-warranty work, some won't, so you should probably check with your friendly Toyota SA to be sure. You will have to go to Lexus for anything under warranty, including if you want to use the first 5K and 10K free services included as part of new purchase warranty.

Good luck on your decision! I love my 2013 RX450h -- my 2nd RX hybrid and 3rd RX. Great rides.

Last edited by BertL; 08-13-12 at 09:36 AM. Reason: clarity on 5K/10K service
Old 08-13-12, 10:56 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by saz25
Hi,
We are strongly considering a new 2013 RX450h. The Lexus dealership is about 30 miles away. That's the closest Lexus dealership to us. However, there is a Toyota dealership about 5 miles away. We've purchased a couple cars from Toyota over the years. As a matter of fact, we bought 2 hybrids (Camry and Prius)

My question is: Can we and should we go to the Toyota dealership for the minor or schedule maintenance items? Of course the Lexus dealer tried to discourage me from doing so. The dealerships are not owned by the same company.

Any opinions or experiences on the subject of Toyota servicing Lexus RX vehicles?

Thanks,
Steve
You'll be fine.
Do the 5,000 and 10,000 ( Complimentary) service at Lexus
and then do the succeeding maintenance at Toyota.

for your peace of mind. just keep the work sheet after AND you can log it yourself at the Lexus website.
Old 08-13-12, 12:04 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to C/L. x2 on the previous posts, I use a Toyota dealer for routine maintenance but if warranty you'll have to go to Lexus. You'd want to anyway for that. As previously suggested, use up your free service 1st .
Hi,

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-13-12, 03:02 PM
NCRon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Welcome to C/L. x2 on the previous posts, I use a Toyota dealer for routine maintenance but if warranty you'll have to go to Lexus. You'd want to anyway for that. As previously suggested, use up your free service 1st .
The good news is, you won't need many repairs if your Lexus is typical of that brand.
And you never need to go to any dealer for oil changes and other routine maintenance. However, in the unlikely event that you need a repair you definitely need to drive that 30 miles to your Lexus dealer. I mean, 30 miles isn't all that far and you can get a loaner from the dealer if you make an appointment beforehand. Also, for major checkups, the Lexus dealer is the only place to go. Lexus has some rather exacting things to check and they know exactly where to look and what to look for.
So I guess I am suggesting that you forego going to that more convenient Toyota dealer. You won't be needing any dealer of any kind very often so why not go ahead and build a relationship with your Lexus outfit? When I recently traded my RX 330 at my Lexus dealer, the appraiser checked my Lexus service records. I'm not sure they would have shown up had I used a Toyota dealer for that work.
I hope you enjoy your Lexus. It's the best car brand I've ever dealt with, bar none.
Old 08-13-12, 04:25 PM
StLucchese
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NCRon
The good news is, you won't need many repairs if your Lexus is typical of that brand.
And you never need to go to any dealer for oil changes and other routine maintenance. However, in the unlikely event that you need a repair you definitely need to drive that 30 miles to your Lexus dealer. I mean, 30 miles isn't all that far and you can get a loaner from the dealer if you make an appointment beforehand. Also, for major checkups, the Lexus dealer is the only place to go. Lexus has some rather exacting things to check and they know exactly where to look and what to look for.
So I guess I am suggesting that you forego going to that more convenient Toyota dealer. You won't be needing any dealer of any kind very often so why not go ahead and build a relationship with your Lexus outfit? When I recently traded my RX 330 at my Lexus dealer, the appraiser checked my Lexus service records. I'm not sure they would have shown up had I used a Toyota dealer for that work.
I hope you enjoy your Lexus. It's the best car brand I've ever dealt with, bar none.
so I'm assuming if you note recording the DIY maint stuff like oil changes or Toyota services, the so-called appraiser would give you a little less for value than if Lexus were to service it? IMO, I think that's bull****. Should I be surprise? It is a stealership. I will argue the case when I trade my Rx for a newer model
Old 08-13-12, 05:58 PM
SAPNY
Rookie

Welcome to CL
I think you can do oil changes and minor stuff at toyota but definitely go to lexus dealer for major repairs
Old 08-13-12, 06:23 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

You can use Toyota for the minor stuff. Only Lexus can handle warranty work though. Not that you will need to worry about that. Just register the work performed on the Lexus owners' website. BTW, I drive 30 miles to my dealer. They will pick up my RX and leave a loaner if I ask. But making that trip twice a year is not that big of a deal to me.
Old 08-13-12, 07:35 PM
Cruiter

Ron, one of my retirements is from a successful career in the auto business. 1st, the dealer you bought from wants your business and if you feel they earn it for the price you pay and you want to by all means go there. But the warranty only specifies that you perform or have performed the routine maintenance w/o requiring where you have it done. Most of the Lexus models and all of the RX models have similar counterparts in Toyota and they can do normal maintenance for you if you like. Probably won't get a loner or Latte but your bill for the same service and same oil normally will be 1/2 or maybe less. I use them and even went to enter the service in my online Lexus database and found after the 2nd time Toyota serviced the car, they were entering it for me .
Old 08-14-12, 07:30 PM
SAPNY
Rookie

Great suggestion! too bad the toyota service centers near me are thugs
i wish i could find an honest service center like sears

Ron, one of my retirements is from a successful career in the auto business. 1st, the dealer you bought from wants your business and if you feel they earn it for the price you pay and you want to by all means go there. But the warranty only specifies that you perform or have performed the routine maintenance w/o requiring where you have it done. Most of the Lexus models and all of the RX models have similar counterparts in Toyota and they can do normal maintenance for you if you like. Probably won't get a loner or Latte but your bill for the same service and same oil normally will be 1/2 or maybe less. I use them and even went to enter the service in my online Lexus database and found after the 2nd time Toyota serviced the car, they were entering it for me .
Old 08-16-12, 01:48 PM
NCRon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StLucchese
so I'm assuming if you note recording the DIY maint stuff like oil changes or Toyota services, the so-called appraiser would give you a little less for value than if Lexus were to service it? IMO, I think that's bull****. Should I be surprise? It is a stealership. I will argue the case when I trade my Rx for a newer model
No, I didn't mean that you would get less money if a Toyota dealer did your servicing rather than your Lexus dealer or if you did it yourself. I only meant to point out that by having your vehicle in the Lexus system it would be easier for your appraiser to know that you had done all the servicing the way you need to to properly maintain the car. You seem to be looking for a fight and expecting your Lexus dealer to behave the way all others do. As Lexus owners know, Lexus dealers tend to be a bit different and in a good way. If you want to trust your Lexus to Toyota serviice techs who haven't been fully trained on Lexus or if you want to save a few bucks by changing your own oil, that is your choice. I personally wouldn't do either, especially if f I lived only 30 miles away from a Lexus dealer. But that's just me.
Good luck.
Old 08-16-12, 06:24 PM
NCRon
Driver School Candidate

Good points. I know you don't HAVE to use a Lexus dealer, I only meant to say that I prefer Lexus dealers and if it were me I'd drive the extra 25 miles to get my work done at one. After all, a Lexus doesn't usually need much work so it's not like you'd be running to the dealer all that often. Plus a loaner is nice. I'm not so sure a Lexus dealer's shop labor and parts markup is only half of a Toyota dealer's though I imagine it is a bit lower. I don't mind paying for expertise. I've always found Lexus technicians to be really good.
Hope you are are enjoying retirement. I sure am. It beats the dickens out of work.
Old 08-16-12, 07:00 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

NCRon: I very much agree. I have always only had my Lexi serviced by Lexus and will likely do so for the rest of my life, but for those that want to do basic service on their own or have it done via Toyota, that's OK too. I'm glad it can be documented and supported as part of Lexus' warranty program. I remember buying my first Lexus and needing to have the Lexus salesman (in those days when there really were not many dealerships), guarantee me if I had a problem in some part of the country where there was no Lexus dealership, that I could go to any Toyota dealership, and they'd take care of me for emergencies. That piece of mind was the clincher, and I've never been without a Lexus in my garage since.
Old 08-16-12, 07:36 PM
Cruiter

For anything other than routine maintenance I'd go to the Lexus store. But what the (h) needs mostly is just oil change's, tire rotations, and a look underneath. For that part it's the exact same work they do on the Highlander (h). Nothing too hard or complicated at all. And now they're entering it into the Lexus data base for me. For 1/2 the price or less, I'll forgo the latte and just play with my iPad for an hour checking in here.
Good points. I know you don't HAVE to use a Lexus dealer, I only meant to say that I prefer Lexus dealers and if it were me I'd drive the extra 25 miles to get my work done at one. After all, a Lexus doesn't usually need much work so it's not like you'd be running to the dealer all that often. Plus a loaner is nice. I'm not so sure a Lexus dealer's shop labor and parts markup is only half of a Toyota dealer's though I imagine it is a bit lower. I don't mind paying for expertise. I've always found Lexus technicians to be really good.
Hope you are are enjoying retirement. I sure am. It beats the dickens out of work.
Old 08-16-12, 07:42 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi,

Thanks,
Steve
We currently have a 2013 RX450h purchased out of state in Texas, and before that a 2010 RX450h purchased out of state in California. Without having our local dealer, we still prefer a Lexus dealer for Lexus certified service. The 5000 and 10,000 mile services are free, and the others are not that expensive if you ask for a specific estimate for the services you need. Some dealers have an internet coupon occasionally. We have a different Lexus dealer service most every time, and have never been disappointed. Once I have an estimate for the required service, then I give them a few things I want them to check as part of warranty even if trivial, which you couldn't do at Toyota. Lexus technicians always do a great service, and I know my car is good to go. They also wash your car, if you so desire. I don't even request a loaner as I prefer to have coffee, snacks and look at the new cars. The lounges are top of the line and a very enjoyable and relaxing morning. My recommendation is to drive the short distance, get to know your local dealer, and enjoy the lounge.

Quick Reply: Toyota service question