RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Questions about the absence of major technology on the RX450

Old 06-30-12, 09:30 AM
cactusgary
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about the absence of major technology on the RX450

I refer to the following:

Parking: the "intuitive assist" does not work well - I can drive right into a wall without the sensors going off - they only record something at the side.

Why does the Rx still not have the new tech features found on the GS e.g., blind spot monitor, driver monitor etc. I can get all this ( I call them safety features) on a cheap Ford product!

Lexus used to be the innovator; what happened.

Mercedes has had these options available since 2010. As a senior, I want these types of options and I sincerely hope I will not be forced back to a Mercedes ML next year when I trade in my car.

Any constructive views on this?
Old 06-30-12, 10:26 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cactusgary
Nope, none from me. However in a year, you may see what you want. Some are already in the 2013.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...pressions.html

Last edited by DunWkg; 06-30-12 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-30-12, 11:42 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As David suggested, the 2013 mid-life refresh addresses most of your concerns... Parking Assist has 2 more sensors on the front for a total of 8 front and back. It works great for me. Blind Spot Monitor is an option on the 2013 available in August timeframe. We don't yet have the sleepy driver monitor... It will likely need to come on the next complete model redesign, just as it appeared in the last GS redesign. In all, I don't find a lot of missing "technology items" in the 2013 RX450h that is sitting in my garage -- I even now have a heated steering wheel that some people (not me) were complaining about not having on previous MYs.

Your other point is about innovation. Frankly, I'd rather have quality solid solutions that are tested and I can depend on, than be bleeding edge when I have to choose between the two things. I had a 2009 German-made BMW, and while it was the most fun, best driver I've ever owned, and had every one of the latest gizmos, it was also the greatest PITA I've ever owned in terms of reliability and customer service. It had incomplete or not as well thought-out design on the details, like if I kept my iPod plugged in when I turned off the vehicle, the BMW would ultimately drain the car battery ... When I asked service about that, their response was "That's the German design. You should unplug your iPod or put a battery tender on the car." I also had multiple examples of the BMW going into limp mode in the first 6 months of ownership... I could go on with examples, but in general, I really don't believe the German brands are as refined in the end solution they provide to customers, since they lead with new electronics and technologies in practically each MY, and their rather hard-headed "this is the way it is" approach with their customers does not work for me personally. I sold my BMW and will never have another German brand car because of that costly experience. While I'm certain people can bash me with these general comments, and I have no intent of getting into that debate, it's just my opinion based on my own experience owning competing brands. My BMW was great having some firsts, but what I love about Lexus is that once a new feature or capability is made available, it's generally very reliable, well thought out and usable (e.g. My RX does not drain its battery if I keep my iPod plugged in and I can see the pilot lights/indicators for all the switches, unlike my BMW.) I'll let the German brands have their firsts and work out the big kinks, then let the Japanese brands like Lexus refine the idea into something that is really good. It's perfect for me given reliability is first in my priority list, with customer service a close second, but may not be for those that rank having "the latest gizmo" as #1 on their list. To each their own. Having choices and multiple automobile brands is what's so great. Good luck with your future decision.
Old 06-30-12, 12:39 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Some of the features you mentioned are on the horizon as BertL pointed out. I can't comment on park assist because I chose not to have those little divots in the bumpers 2013 is only a refresh, 4th gen will be a new and improved RX with goodies that may not be found in other Lexus vehicles. It's just a matter of timing.

Bottom line, Lexus has not disappointed me because reliability is much more important than having all the toys.
Old 06-30-12, 02:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Some cars will always have features that the other one doesn't, and vice versa. You need to separate the must haves from the nice to haves and then decide which one is right for you.
Old 06-30-12, 09:38 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm with BertL on this one. Toyota has always been a "generation behind" on the electronic gizmos. I tend to think that it's because they place a higher priority on mechanical design which makes their products more reliable. I'm ELATED that they finally offer a heated steering wheel and they added the LED running lights.

LexBob sums it up pretty well; whether it's cameras, cars, TVs, computers, cell phones...you name it...there's NEVER one model that has ALL the features I want. If reliability is paramount to your vehicle choice, buy a Toyota. If you want all the state-of-the-art bells & whistles, you're going to have to look elsewhere.
Old 06-30-12, 11:12 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

machanical design on toyota models are taking a step back too lately. We see turbos and DI on the latest cars on the road now. even lowly Hyundais have DI in their engines! a majority of the toyota/lexus products out there still use the tried and true 3.5 which is pretty low tech.
Old 07-01-12, 04:04 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I gotta agree with BertL on this one.... just my personal preference. I put reliability atop my list... Lexus is prob. behind other makers due to the amount of testing and QA required before introducing a new feature. Nothing worse than spending big bucks on a car, then spending tons of hours at service centers, or always searching for work-arounds on some dumb feature. Not saying Lexus is perfect, no maker is, but I place dependability and peace of mind ahead of nearly everything, within reason of course.
Old 07-01-12, 04:14 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

I agree with Bertl & others; Lexus puts it out there when it is quality and dependable. If you want to see LOUSY quality test drive a 2012 Cadillac SRX; the backup camera looks like a 50 Cent telescope...and tho it is heavily criticized on their forums, drivers accept it!!
Old 07-01-12, 04:22 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Gary, you and I drive the same car. As far as innovation Lexus has the other luxury equivalents just a little less equivalent IMO. The testimony to that is in Consumer Reports, resale, and customer loyalty. Our Hybrid system is the best available at any price.

Like others have said we're not a 'trendy' car but innovation with quality and dependability. I'm glad Lexus added two extra sensors to the front bumper for 2013 but I knew when I bought this one they weren't there and it wasn't a deal breaker. It's a solid quality car and inexpensive (for all the technology in it) to maintain.
Originally Posted by cactusgary
I refer to the following:

Parking: the "intuitive assist" does not work well - I can drive right into a wall without the sensors going off - they only record something at the side.

Why does the Rx still not have the new tech features found on the GS e.g., blind spot monitor, driver monitor etc. I can get all this ( I call them safety features) on a cheap Ford product!

Lexus used to be the innovator; what happened.

Mercedes has had these options available since 2010. As a senior, I want these types of options and I sincerely hope I will not be forced back to a Mercedes ML next year when I trade in my car.

Old 07-02-12, 08:01 AM
gqscholar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Some of the features you mentioned are on the horizon as BertL pointed out. I can't comment on park assist because I chose not to have those little divots in the bumpers 2013 is only a refresh, 4th gen will be a new and improved RX with goodies that may not be found in other Lexus vehicles. It's just a matter of timing.

Bottom line, Lexus has not disappointed me because reliability is much more important than having all the toys.
Not to side track the thread, but I thought I was the only one who hated those parkings sensors.

I love the idea behind having them, but hate the look of those things sticking out all over the front and rear bumper.

Are they hard to clean/wax around?

I thought I was just being ****, but I see I'm not the only one.
Old 07-02-12, 08:12 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm also big on reliability, but I also think some of the things like lane change wrnings, etc., are safety items to me and I wish i could have had them
Old 07-02-12, 08:24 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Are they hard to clean/wax around?
Nope, not really. I spend more time cleaning and waxing around the headlight washer "caps".
Old 07-02-12, 08:31 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=gqscholar;7332517]Not to side track the thread, but I thought I was the only one who hated those parkings sensors.

I bought mine BECAUSE it has parking sensors; I have some tight parking sometimes and worry about hitting something....I will probably NEVER use the intuitive parking...but sensors
are a nice safety item
Old 07-02-12, 09:22 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I also like the "intuitive parking assist" because it's makes my life simpler when parking to know what's in front or behind to avoid an accidental bumper hit while getting in close enough without getting out to physically check... I agree though -- I hate the round sensors from a look perspective even though they are not much trouble from a wash/dry/polish perspective. It's one area Lexus could take a hint from the Germans like BMW for a future improvement -- my 2009 BMW had the same sort of parking assist capability, but the sensors were on the inside of the bumpers and therefore invisible. Are you listening Lexus in your pursuit of perfection?