RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Disappointed with Lexus GPS system

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 05:18 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down OEM NAV gets thumbs down

I purchased a Garmin for less than the cost of the map upgrade for my OEM NAV. The Garmin has free lifetime updates, and I can move it to another car. The Garmin also fits very nicely on the little "shelf" in front of my RX NAV screen.
Old 03-03-17, 02:51 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Here is a hilarious review of the Lexus Nav system by the guys at Motor Trend. It's so funny but true. Tap on time mark 13:29 of the video and also at 23:46.

Last edited by MellonC00; 03-03-17 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-04-17, 01:05 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
It's so funny but true.
It is funny but I wouldn't say it is objectively 'true', it might be true for them (or somebody else) not for me.
Old 03-04-17, 06:21 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
Here is a hilarious review of the Lexus Nav system by the guys at Motor Trend. It's so funny but true. Tap on time mark 13:29 of the video and also at 23:46.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uuy5LVv8pA
Very true!
I had a loaner from the dealer that was after they deleted the thumb buttons and you had to push the stick down to click. If I was test driving that, I would've returned to the dealership. How they managed to make the worst even worse was special.
Old 03-20-17, 04:45 AM
paprgypc
Driver School Candidate

Default RX 450H GPS Problems

I have a 2013 RX 450 H, The GPS took a little time to get familiar, but for the most part it has worked well until recently. I would travel from Milwaukee to Muskegon Michigan and it would take the direct route as I would bet with Google maps. However, recently on the way back home it now takes me east on I 94 to US 131, then to Grand Rapds, MI, From there it takes me to my home in Western, Michigan.

You may say "hey, don't you know the way home'? The point is that I have lost confidence in the system. We go on long road trips and I want a system that will work well all the time and this one does not seem to work properly. It ignores some direct routes.

I have tried going to all the options to change from fastest to all interstate, and nothing seems to work. I know it recognized the fastest route to my home when I first purchased the car.

Can anyone offer some help.

Thank You
Old 03-20-17, 12:06 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by paprgypc
I have a 2013 RX 450 H, The GPS took a little time to get familiar, but for the most part it has worked well until recently. I would travel from Milwaukee to Muskegon Michigan and it would take the direct route as I would bet with Google maps. However, recently on the way back home it now takes me east on I 94 to US 131, then to Grand Rapds, MI, From there it takes me to my home in Western, Michigan.

You may say "hey, don't you know the way home'? The point is that I have lost confidence in the system. We go on long road trips and I want a system that will work well all the time and this one does not seem to work properly. It ignores some direct routes.

I have tried going to all the options to change from fastest to all interstate, and nothing seems to work. I know it recognized the fastest route to my home when I first purchased the car.

Can anyone offer some help.

Thank You
Is Avoid Tollroads setting on? That one was a pain to figure out on the move when I was in a rush to get to the Pittsburgh airport and the system tried to route me around the turnpike.
I don't suppose you have a destination point set somewhere in the Grand Rapids.
And, BTW, this is nothing compared to our Nav attempting to take us for a swim to get to the Outerbanks, NC.

The only thing I can think of, it picked up some traffic info and got stuck on it. I don't pay for traffic and it never worked in our area anyway.
Old 03-20-17, 03:04 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

One time Mrs. MellonC drove the car with the avoid toll road setting checked. She was to supposed to pick me up in Sausalito across the Golden Gate Bridge (toll required) from San Francisco downtown. A trip that should have taken about 20 minutes even with traffic.... Well....... 1 hour and 45 minutes later I get a call from her saying that she was heading south bound towards San Jose on the 101. She asked why I was having lunch in such far away place from where we were staying...... Yeah.... don't ask....

Last edited by MellonC00; 03-20-17 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-21-17, 04:39 AM
paprgypc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Is Avoid Tollroads setting on? That one was a pain to figure out on the move when I was in a rush to get to the Pittsburgh airport and the system tried to route me around the turnpike.
I don't suppose you have a destination point set somewhere in the Grand Rapids.
And, BTW, this is nothing compared to our Nav attempting to take us for a swim to get to the Outerbanks, NC.

The only thing I can think of, it picked up some traffic info and got stuck on it. I don't pay for traffic and it never worked in our area anyway.

On further reeview, I did have avoid toll roads checked. I have not created any destination points in Grand Rapids, so that is the next thing to check. Thank you for your help!
Old 03-21-17, 06:02 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The problem is that you're using this GPS as if it was a GPS. Don't.
It's unusably bad.
Old 03-22-17, 04:26 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

Western Michigan doesn't have any toll roads AFAIK. So unless some segment of road was erroneously marked as toll in the map data, I'm not sure there'd be a change. Interested to find out.
Old 03-23-17, 02:52 AM
paprgypc
Driver School Candidate

So basically the lexus RX 450h is a great car, but they have a very poor GPS. I think I will get my garmin out and sick it to the windshield!!! Does anyone know if they have gotten a better GPS in recent model years?
Old 03-23-17, 08:52 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by paprgypc
So basically the lexus RX 450h is a great car, but they have a very poor GPS. I think I will get my garmin out and sick it to the windshield!!! Does anyone know if they have gotten a better GPS in recent model years?
No car manufacturer has a really good GPS. Some are decent, but most are junk.
They're not in a business of building Navigation units and they should really stick to building cars.
Alas, the technology gets outdated at a quicker pace and end-users are forced to upgrade at a quicker cycle.
And that means an improved bottom line.
However, I'll take that over Germans purposefully under-engineering their vehicles to fall apart after warranty expires to get new sales in.
Old 03-23-17, 07:55 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

For the Conspiracy Theorists, consider that Big Brother wants you on a less-congested (as opposed to faster/logical) route.
Old 03-24-17, 08:13 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NateJG
For the Conspiracy Theorists, consider that Big Brother wants you on a less-congested (as opposed to faster/logical) route.
They are testing a new weapon - make everyone drive off a cliff one day, LOL.
Old 03-27-17, 04:14 PM
gpmcnichol
Driver School Candidate

Default lexus navagation

I have a 2014 Lexus RX350 and the navigation system sucks I can not even ad addresses that have been established for several years they wont up date it at the dealer even though it is under warranty what is a guy to do please advise

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Lexus GPS system