RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Disappointed with Lexus GPS system

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 07:37 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BobAgain
My wife just got a new RX350 and we are underwhelmed with the GPS so far. (why not just outsource the whole thing to Garmin??)

It appears that we can't enter addresses while the car is in motion. Is that correct? If so, is there a way around this?

Thanks.
The navigation manual requires some very detailed reading, and rereading, to learn all the benefits of the GPS, as well as the rest of the navigation system. I seem to find something new each time I spend some time with it, which makes me like the system more.

As for entering addresses while in motion. Can't be done. If not using voice commands, you can also use your preset address book folder at anytime to select destinations while in motion.
Old 12-05-13, 07:34 PM
BobAgain
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by go3Ds
As for entering addresses while in motion. Can't be done.
I'd have thought that the geniuses could use the passenger seat weight sensor to tell that a passenger is in the car and able to program the GPS while the driver tended to business.
Old 12-06-13, 04:27 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd have thought that the geniuses could use the passenger seat weight sensor to tell that a passenger is in the car and able to program the GPS while the driver tended to business.
Oh no, the Lexus insurance folks and bean counters thought, "...those tricky Lexus owners will just belt in a hundred pounds of lead weights on the passenger's seat to fool us. We'll show them. We'll ignore the passenger seat sensor. And we'll put an "Enter" button on both sides of the remote touch just frustrate them into believing a passenger can operate the remote touch...."

It's the insurance guys that are one step ahead of us tricky Lexus owners. I had to melt my hundred pounds of lead back into fishing weights.
Old 12-06-13, 05:07 AM
BobAgain
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DunWkg
I had to melt my hundred pounds of lead back into fishing weights.

If only someone would invent a nav system that's faster, more accurate and have live traffic on it....

Originally Posted by go3Ds
The navigation manual requires some very detailed reading, and rereading, to learn all the benefits of the GPS
possibly the worst written manual that I've ever encountered. The purpose is to convey information accurately and quickly. Getting a D&D buff to write it in their spare time was definitely a mistake!

Last edited by BobAgain; 12-06-13 at 05:15 AM.
Old 12-06-13, 05:24 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Oh no, the Lexus insurance folks...
It's the insurance guys that are one step ahead of us tricky Lexus owners.
Not to start a debate and take this thread off-topic (since this has been debated in other past thread), but I do agree that it's the Toyota/Lexus lawyers that probably cause some things like our inability to enter an address while moving. (I don't think I'd generally do it myself while driving as it DOES take enormous focus for an extended period to accomplish, but it's a good idea about the passenger perhaps some way being allowed.) Frankly, given what consumers, the press and our representatives in Washington did to the brand and the millions of dollars it cost Lexus with the whole brake issue a while back that in some respects and to some people didn't end up to be as big a deal as it was initially made out to be -- IMHO we helped make Lexus even more conservative in their approach as to what is offered in the marketplace as they try to protect themselves from future complaints.
Old 12-06-13, 05:46 AM
BobAgain
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BertL
-- IMHO we helped make Lexus even more conservative in their approach as to what is offered in the marketplace as they try to protect themselves from future complaints.
certainly preaching to the choir; that was the FIRST thought that I had once I realized the frailty of the nav system.

on the other hand, they could just make you agree that you won't operate certain input functions while driving (like everyone else) and then let a passenger have their way with it..

I installed a wiring harness and relay in the car yesterday, requiring a couple of simple tasks to access under the rear bumper and a rear storage compartment. Every time that I get into it, I am struck by the beauty of the car's construction and obvious careful forethought by the engineers. It is such a stark contrast to the weak performance on the "gizmo" side of the equation.
Old 12-06-13, 07:10 AM
BertL

...It is such a stark contrast to the weak performance on the "gizmo" side of the equation.
Absolutely agree with you. As I put it in a recent Lexus survey, if Lexus would just apply a few programmers to things like Nav and Infotainment to improve the look, functionality and usability, the total experience of the overall vehicle could be greatly increased. It does not take that much "engineering" to improve those things and it can mostly be done behind a desk without what it takes to introduce new hardware or capabilities on any vehicle. I suggested they not forget what most drivers interact with the most on their vehicle every day beyond the gauges and stalks... yes, Infotainment and Nav. Improving those would reduce gripes and improve what many owners consider the area Lexus is near the back of the pack with...
Old 12-06-13, 07:20 AM
RogersDA
Driver School Candidate

Absolutely agree with you. As I put it in a recent Lexus survey, if Lexus would just apply a few programmers to things like Nav and Infotainment to improve the look, functionality and usability, the total experience of the overall vehicle could be greatly increased.
THAT IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT

This is the one thing that has burned my opinion of Lexus. The cars are well made, but the human factors interfaces are poorly implemented sometimes. Watching the navigation screen's menu options and informational displays really makes me think that for many years this has been the afterthought for the cars.
Old 12-06-13, 12:52 PM
ArcES330
Driver

Can you manually change the destination address? I was using navigation this morning for a local Family Dog and Cat Hospital. Address should be 136 W. Lime Ave, Monrovia. Yelp is correct. Somehow our 2012 Navigation has 136 E. Lime Ave, Monrovia. It took me to the wrong address. Can I manually change the address information?
Old 12-06-13, 01:00 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by ArcES330
Can you manually change the destination address? I was using navigation this morning for a local Family Dog and Cat Hospital. Address should be 136 W. Lime Ave, Monrovia. Yelp is correct. Somehow our 2012 Navigation has 136 E. Lime Ave, Monrovia. It took me to the wrong address. Can I manually change the address information?
I think you are saying you used the Points of Interest (POI) to locate the vet. If so, then, no, you cannot change the address associated with a POI. You could enter the correct address (not associated via the POI that seems to be outdated) either manually through the Nav, of if you have the appropriate Enform Services, you could add it as an eDestination and download to your truck or have the operator verbally send the address to your vehicle. Any of those 3 methods will then be retained in your truck for future use. That is what I have done -- I have all key businesses and emergency locations I may need to frequent validated and set in folders as part of eDestination -- all downloaded to my truck (and they will remain there even if I should discontinue the service some day.)
Old 12-06-13, 02:13 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcES330
You can report your address problem(s) and provide feedback here:

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/submit-feedback/
Old 12-06-13, 02:59 PM
ArcES330
Driver

I think you are saying you used the Points of Interest (POI) to locate the vet. If so, then, no, you cannot change the address associated with a POI..)
Yes I used the POI to locate the business. It has the wrong information. I could manually enter the correct address which will take me there. I guess I will use manual entry.
Thank you..

Last edited by ArcES330; 12-06-13 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-06-13, 03:33 PM
falconer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have made an effort to learn the voice commands and it helps. I just traded in my IS250 for a 2014 Rx450H. The IS nav drove me nuts, it did everything reported in this thread, asking you to get off hwy 80 when you were already on it, etc. The 2014 is an improvement. But there is a really cool alternative for those who are shopping for a new car. Buy the car without nav, and install this:http://www.rydeenmobile.com/gps%20ca...on/MN312S.html. Its a gps/bluetooth system in your mirror. I saw a demo of it yesterday. Very cool. Or use google glasses, lol. Just dont get pulled over by a cop
Old 12-06-13, 05:46 PM
BobAgain
Driver School Candidate

or, just glue your smartphone to the flat plastic panel in the center of the console....

Last edited by BobAgain; 12-06-13 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-07-13, 10:00 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

or, just glue your smartphone to the flat plastic panel in the center of the console....
an iPad nearly fits, I'm guessing a mini would..!

(just to complain about voice command....say Destination, it asks Near Here or Along Route. Most of the time I don't have a route plugged in and I usually want to go somewhere AWAY from here.)

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Lexus GPS system