RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to select vents on climate control?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 07:47 AM
JohnnyO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to select vents on climate control?

Hi, new member and i am thinking of buying a new 2012 RX350. I love everything about the car except one thing; it appears that the only way to change where the air gets directed is by using the interactive screen and controller, is that correct? I often change where the airflow goes depending on weather and comfort and while test driving one last weekend found changing it via the screen really cumbersome. Did I miss something? Or are there manual controls for cars without the Nav?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-12, 07:59 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a mode button on my dash. By pressing it you get to toggle through the different vent settings. It shows for me on the top of the Nav screen/ radio.
Old 05-22-12, 12:31 PM
JohnnyO
Driver School Candidate

Default Got it! Thanks.

I missed that and I was looking for that specific button, since thats what it's called on my 2004 Highlander. I need to go back and take another test drive to find out what else I missed. I wasn't too pleased with my shopping experience, since our sales rep was less than informed about this model. I had to correct him about the dimming and heated outside mirrors, availability of drivers seat extender (ultra luxury) and the adaptive cruise control. All of which he said were not options on any package. That and his take it or leave it sales pitch (they come with or with out the nav pkg, period ) left us more than a little turned off. Next time I'll request a different rep.

Thanks again!
Old 05-22-12, 12:42 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to a different dealership. I went right to the Genreral Manager and dealt with him. I knew far more than they did thanks to the fine people and great info I got here before I even went to the dealership.
Old 05-22-12, 12:54 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by InRBigness
There is a mode button on my dash. By pressing it you get to toggle through the different vent settings. It shows for me on the top of the Nav screen/ radio.
I believe it only works when the AC/heater is ON (fan speed shows at least 1-bar). If you turn OFF your AC/heater fan, pressing this button will still toggle between different settings BUT you can NOT see it until you use the screen.
Old 05-22-12, 02:16 PM
JohnnyO
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, that sounds like similar behavior to my HL.

WRT the dealer, I suppose I should give the sales guy direct feedback and then decide whether or not to go elsewhere or just seek another sales rep. He also said no way could they find an ultra luxury pkg equipped model and that id have to special order one and wait 6 months. I really felt like he didnt want the sale. The next nearest dealer is 40 minutes away vs 20 for this one. Neither are really convenient for servicing.

I've got it narrowed down to the RX350 or the Volvo XC60 or the BMW X3. Time for round 2 test drives.
Old 05-22-12, 02:54 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

JonnyO... Agree you should give the sales guy some feedback or ask to work with another person, or just go to the other dealer. Appears you unfortunately got a newbie or someone too focused on selling what they have vs what you want. Not all Lexus dealers are like that, and you don't need to give your money to any luxury brand that operates that way.

And for what its worth... on your last point of what you've narrowed your options down to... In addition to how well a vehicle drives, amenities, and your immediate out-the-door price, be sure to look into reliability and what I'd call total cost of ownership on each of the vehicles that you are considering. Most people will agree that the Lexus is not bad when it comes to ongoing expenses, and ranks way up there in reliability. I don't have experience with Volvo. BMW I do have experience with, and while "4 years maintenance" is included in the new purchase, be sure to check what reliability is like and realistic costs of maintenance after that if you will keep it longer than the 4 years. ...also, if the other dealers are quite a distance from you, consider your time should breakdowns occur and you need to take it in. ...at least food for thought. Good luck with your pursuit and decision!
Old 05-22-12, 03:27 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
JonnyO... Agree you should give the sales guy some feedback or ask to work with another person, or just go to the other dealer. Appears you unfortunately got a newbie or someone too focused on selling what they have vs what you want. Not all Lexus dealers are like that, and you don't need to give your money to any luxury brand that operates that way.

And for what its worth... on your last point of what you've narrowed your options down to... In addition to how well a vehicle drives, amenities, and your immediate out-the-door price, be sure to look into reliability and what I'd call total cost of ownership on each of the vehicles that you are considering. Most people will agree that the Lexus is not bad when it comes to ongoing expenses, and ranks way up there in reliability. I don't have experience with Volvo. BMW I do have experience with, and while "4 years maintenance" is included in the new purchase, be sure to check what reliability is like and realistic costs of maintenance after that if you will keep it longer than the 4 years. ...also, if the other dealers are quite a distance from you, consider your time should breakdowns occur and you need to take it in. ...at least food for thought. Good luck with your pursuit and decision!
This gentleman spoke from his past experience....

Go straight to the internet sale manager. better yet send him an email for price quote (also send to the other dealer the same contents) and tell them that you want to buy it within couple weeks if they can find you one.

Good luck.
Old 05-22-12, 07:43 PM
JohnnyO
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all for your comments and advice. I agree about reliability and cost to own. I've got a Toyota now (three of 'em actually) and they're very low cost to own, unlike a Diamanté I used to own. This will be a rather long and drawn out process as work is busy and allows time for test drives about every other weekend. I'll keep you posted on what finally happens. Thanks again, it's a great group of people who contribute here. Best to all.

-JohnnyO
Old 06-09-12, 08:50 AM
JohnnyO
Driver School Candidate

Default Tonneau cover question

So it's not a deal breaker, but is it true that the cover on the seat side does not retract? Are they meant to hang down and flop around? And there is no place to store it too. Even my '04 Highlander has that!