RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Anyone get a discount on a 2013 RX??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-12, 06:33 PM
saz25
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best RX350 AWD deal yet !

Hi all,
I think I may have gotten the best deal yet. I was very aggressive, calling 6 dealers in the Boston and Southern NH area over a period of 10 days. I knew exactly what I wanted after visiting one dealership and understanding what the various packages and options are.

I also had lots of info such as invoice prices, hold back, etc. I also knew that I was in the drivers seat being that it was the end of the month. I learned that there is a tremendous amount of margin (perhaps hidden) in these cars.

Almost every dealer game me an initial price quote of about $1500-$2000 off of MSRP. But with even a little pressure on my part, within 10-15 minutes, they would almost all shave another $1000 off the price.

But that wasn't good enough for me. I wanted the absolute best i could get. In all situations I forced the issue and ended up having the GM join the discussion. The GM is the sales manager's boss. You know that when the GM gets into the deal, your getting a good deal. I saw many of them wiggle and whine about price.

In the end, this is what I bought today (I already have it home):
2013 RX350 AWD
Comfort package
Premium package w/BSM
Navigation
Intuitive parking assist
Wood & Leather Trimmed steering wheel and shift ****
cargo mat, cargo net and wheel locks
Cross bars
12 speaker premium audio (a no cost option)
Color: Nebula Pearl with Light Gray leather interior (exactly what I wanted)

total MSRP: $49,824
invoice price: $46,410

I paid $44,000 plus $399 documentation fee. I normally insist that they reduce that too, but I decided that the deal was pretty great, so I accepted the doc fee.
Total savings off MSRP: $5800 ($2400 off of invoice)
It was a cash/check deal. No financing.

I just drove the car home. I love it.

Next thing I need to do is to shop around for an extended warranty. I almost never buy it on the day I buy the car. I have always had good luck locating other dealers over the internet with better prices. In the past few years I bought an extended warranty for my wife's new Toyota Prius from a Toyota dealer in the state of Washington. I also bought a GM warranty for a new Chevy from a dealer in Kansas. They are the same I would buy at my local dealer but 30-40% cheaper. Any recommendations for Lexus dealers with great extended warranty prices?

Great club, this Club Lexus. I'm happy to be joining the Lexus family.
Regards,
Steve
Old 08-30-12, 10:30 PM
Bgmom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by saz25
Hi all,
I think I may have gotten the best deal yet. I was very aggressive, calling 6 dealers in the Boston and Southern NH area over a period of 10 days. I knew exactly what I wanted after visiting one dealership and understanding what the various packages and options are.

I also had lots of info such as invoice prices, hold back, etc. I also knew that I was in the drivers seat being that it was the end of the month. I learned that there is a tremendous amount of margin (perhaps hidden) in these cars.

Almost every dealer game me an initial price quote of about $1500-$2000 off of MSRP. But with even a little pressure on my part, within 10-15 minutes, they would almost all shave another $1000 off the price.

But that wasn't good enough for me. I wanted the absolute best i could get. In all situations I forced the issue and ended up having the GM join the discussion. The GM is the sales manager's boss. You know that when the GM gets into the deal, your getting a good deal. I saw many of them wiggle and whine about price.

In the end, this is what I bought today (I already have it home):
2013 RX350 AWD
Comfort package
Premium package w/BSM
Navigation
Intuitive parking assist
Wood & Leather Trimmed steering wheel and shift ****
cargo mat, cargo net and wheel locks
Cross bars
12 speaker premium audio (a no cost option)
Color: Nebula Pearl with Light Gray leather interior (exactly what I wanted)

total MSRP: $49,824
invoice price: $46,410

I paid $44,000 plus $399 documentation fee. I normally insist that they reduce that too, but I decided that the deal was pretty great, so I accepted the doc fee.
Total savings off MSRP: $5800 ($2400 off of invoice)
It was a cash/check deal. No financing.

I just drove the car home. I love it.

Next thing I need to do is to shop around for an extended warranty. I almost never buy it on the day I buy the car. I have always had good luck locating other dealers over the internet with better prices. In the past few years I bought an extended warranty for my wife's new Toyota Prius from a Toyota dealer in the state of Washington. I also bought a GM warranty for a new Chevy from a dealer in Kansas. They are the same I would buy at my local dealer but 30-40% cheaper. Any recommendations for Lexus dealers with great extended warranty prices?

Great club, this Club Lexus. I'm happy to be joining the Lexus family.
Regards,
Steve
You got an awesome deal!! End of the month is the perfect time to buy. I got exactly what you did except FWD and paid what you did. I got 9.2% off msrp.

By the way, how did you find dealer holdback info? How much is it?
Old 08-31-12, 12:43 AM
saz25
Rookie

Default Holdbacks

Here is a link to how to determine holdbacks.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/dealer-holdback/

Steve
Old 08-31-12, 08:56 PM
Bgmom
Driver School Candidate

This is a great link. Thanks!

Here is a link to how to determine holdbacks.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/dealer-holdback/

Steve
Old 09-01-12, 08:26 AM
Bdubs
Driver School Candidate

A helluva deal. I should have you negotiate my next car.
Old 09-01-12, 01:17 PM
Superman78
Driver School Candidate

Msrp $49560,
Sale price $44500
2013 awd.
Old 09-01-12, 01:25 PM
saz25
Rookie

Originally Posted by Superman78
Msrp $49560,
Sale price $44500
2013 awd.
Pretty good deal. Congrats !!
Steve
Old 09-01-12, 01:34 PM
Superman78
Driver School Candidate

Pretty good deal. Congrats !!
Steve
Thanks! Awesome car.
Old 09-02-12, 06:45 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats Saz25,
What a nice deal,
Can You tell us which dealership You bought Your car from?
Thank You.
Old 09-03-12, 07:45 AM
Davisesq21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgmom
Congrats!! Glad you found someone who wanted your cash!
And treated you well.
I would highly recommend them and my salesperson. It was no hassle and he even helped a little bit more with the final price.

PS The car is amazing.

Last edited by Davisesq21; 09-03-12 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-03-12, 07:48 AM
Davisesq21
Driver School Candidate

BTW, there were several dealers near me that offered to sell 44500 for the 2013 RX 350 AWD MSRP 49045 but I was trying to also find the best deal on my trade in. If anyone needs the names of those dealers in NY/NJ, let me know. Their doc fees were around 250 ish if in NJ. If in NY, no doc fees.
Old 09-03-12, 08:42 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Davisesq21
BTW, there were several dealers near me that offered to sell 44500 for the 2013 RX 350 AWD MSRP 49045 but I was trying to also find the best deal on my trade in. If anyone needs the names of those dealers in NY/NJ, let me know. Their doc fees were around 250 ish if in NJ. If in NY, no doc fees.
Are Doc fees some required expense in NJ or do they just rip you off for them and NY has learned not to. In CA that trend has gone away pretty much altho some still pack on an extra $50 for this scam!!
Old 09-03-12, 10:04 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by dctex99
Are Doc fees some required expense in NJ or do they just rip you off for them and NY has learned not to. In CA that trend has gone away pretty much altho some still pack on an extra $50 for this scam!!
Doc fees are a line item on the dealer order form in NJ. On my RX it was $289 - a computer/messenger fee of $96.50 and a clerical fee of $192.50-basically for pushing paperwork and getting the registration. I've spoken to my brother-in-law who has his dealers' license. It can waived but I have yet to try. We also have other charges like a tire tax ($1.50 per tire) and a luxury/fuel inefficient tax of .4% of the price before trade-in/incentives. It amounted to another $230 for me. Those two items can't be waived.
Old 09-03-12, 11:49 AM
saz25
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
Doc fees are a line item on the dealer order form in NJ. On my RX it was $289 - a computer/messenger fee of $96.50 and a clerical fee of $192.50-basically for pushing paperwork and getting the registration. I've spoken to my brother-in-law who has his dealers' license. It can waived but I have yet to try. We also have other charges like a tire tax ($1.50 per tire) and a luxury/fuel inefficient tax of .4% of the price before trade-in/incentives. It amounted to another $230 for me. Those two items can't be waived.
Yes the doc fee is a line item printed on the form, but it's just a ploy by the dealer to make you think that it's not negotiable.

But it always is. I always insist they lower the price such that the doc fee is $0.
I've done it in MA, NH, and in Florida ; all in the past month.
Steve
Old 09-03-12, 01:09 PM
Adamgbrown
Driver School Candidate

I just got a fantastic deal on my 2013 Rx350. I will grab my sales receipt later and post specifics. The big picture numbers are : 49, 500$ msrp. Lease for 48 months $670-700/month. After much long negotiation, settled on $508/month. Even got a few extras like cross brackets on roof rack and free upgrade to 19" wheels. Coincidentally, it was the end of the month on Friday and 4 hours before closing. They were not going to loose the sale. Gave me 3000$ over fair blue book trade in for my Sequoia. It was awesome. Like I said I will grab the contact and repost real numbers if interested. Oh, and location was Savannah, GA Lexus.

One quick question though if anyone knows the answer I would appreciate
There is no digital speed displayed when u set the cruise. Is this a bug in the new car or is this normal. I thought every new 2009- present Lexus had this feature. My other Lexus ISF has this feature. The owner manual shows one picture with the speed displayed digitally but it is regarding the 450H. Any explanation? Thanks. Adam

Quick Reply: Anyone get a discount on a 2013 RX??