RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Chrome rims peeling

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 09:56 AM
Stanford9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome rims peeling

I paid 2000$ usd for 4 chrome rims for My RX450H from the Lexus dealership with a warranty of 4-Year or 50000 miles.After 18 months and 10000 miles two of the rims are peeling.Should I just have them replaced through the dealership or should I get a refund and have the stock alloy wheels put back on?I am concerned that the chrome will not hold up in my western PA climate.Has anyone else had trouble with Lexus chrome rims?
Old 05-03-12, 02:32 PM
bjnlott
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem with my chrome wheel and air is leaking. I called Lexus and was told that chrome wheels are not covered under the Lexus Extra Care Warranty even though I bought the Platinum plan. From what I read so far, this is a common problem. You'd be better off getting a refund and replacing them with alloy wheels to avoid future chrome peeling problem.
Old 05-03-12, 04:17 PM
Stanford9
Driver School Candidate

Default Chrome rims peeling

That is the solution that I am considering to be the best.I really like the rims however,if they are not reliable then there time has come and gone. Thank you for the input.I will report back on the the dealers response.
Old 05-03-12, 06:01 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Get refund and return to alloys

I live in TX so weather wasn't an issue, but the chromes in my GS430 lasted about 7 years before they started leaking badly because of oxidation. Was it an isolated incident? I don't know but after swapping them for new stock alloys it's been great not light up the air pump every week. We avoided chromes on our 2012 RX. Good luck!

JB
Old 05-03-12, 06:42 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Chrome rims are always a dealer mark up option. Back when I was in the business we sold a ton of them. But the factory never stood behind them because of the issues. Even if all the care in the world is used in application the chrome will oxidize over time. Certain climates make it worse.
Old 05-03-12, 06:48 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I have them on my 2010 RX350 and one is starting to flake a bit.
Old 05-06-12, 12:04 AM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As much as I like the looks of the chrome wheels on my 2010 RX, I must admit it was probably not a wise idea to get the chrome wheels over the alloy wheels. Three of the four wheels on my RX have either black-looking smudges on the edges or a gash due to my penchant for hitting the curbs, particularly when going up the ramps in the parking garage where I work at. It seems I have kind of a hard time judging the proximity of the curbs when going up or down, actually. What a bummer!
Old 05-06-12, 11:26 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory chrome wheels only come in the Sport package. And I believe your dealer just takes your oem rims and sent them to an aftermarket chrome shop. So results may vary.
Old 05-07-12, 01:30 PM
Stanford9
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Chrome Rims Peeling

I just spoke to the parts manager at Metro Lexus of Cleveland.He did some research and informed me that when I purchased the rims there was a problem with the electric part of the chroming process on some of the rims and that they would stand behind them and swap out all four rims under warranty.He also stated that he would have them shipped to my local dealer to save me the 200 mile roundtrip ride.If all this goes down as he stated then I am very impressed with their customer service.I am use to dealing with Chrysler/Jeep customer service which means NO customer service at all.I will keep the forum up to date when the issue is resolved.Thanks for all your helpful comments.
Old 05-07-12, 07:30 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice to hear they are standing behind what they sold. I have the Chrome rims, 2 years now, and not one problem. I do make sure I have them rotated at the Lexus Dealership since they have not scratched or nicked them once, even after putting on a new tire. I will probablly never own anything but a Lexus from here out.
Old 05-07-12, 09:22 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
Nice to hear they are standing behind what they sold. I have the Chrome rims, 2 years now, and not one problem. I do make sure I have them rotated at the Lexus Dealership since they have not scratched or nicked them once, even after putting on a new tire. I will probablly never own anything but a Lexus from here out.
Im really impressed with lexus too. We might also stick with lexus for all our transportation needs.
Old 05-10-12, 06:06 PM
XRUNNER1
Driver School Candidate

I have the alloy wheels and noticed the paint is rubbing off maybe from where the tires were mounted, has any had this and recommend any touch-up paint.
Old 05-17-12, 02:22 PM
Stanford9
Driver School Candidate

Default update

After nine days of the dealer not updating me on the status of my new rims I called them.The parts manager informed me that the rims are ordered and that they do not want to ship them to my local dealer.They would rather pick up my RX,leaving me with a loaner and do the mounting themselves and then deliver the vehicle back to my home.He also stated that they would not have the new rims for a few more weeks.it is all talk so far and I am taking them at there word.I am very cautious after having such negative encounters with Chrysler/Jeep issues.I do feel confident with all the positive things that I have heard about Lexus that this issue will be resolved.If all goes down as Metro Lexus as outlined,then I will be impressed.
Old 07-01-12, 07:15 AM
Stanford9
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

After a two month wait the chrome rims are in stock.I decided to purchase a set of Pirellie scorpion verde tires to replace the oem Dunlops.My goal was to break down the rims as few times as possible.As I am inspecting the job the first thing I see is that the new rims have been mounted on the oem Dunlops that I drove in on.I asked to see the general manager and he did not even come out of his lavish office.I was referred to the service manager Jack Flynn.He quickly apologized for the error and produced $200.00 of gift cards.He also did not charge me shop fees or mounting of the Pirellies,which saved me around $200.00.Upon inspection of the remount I notice a small peel or chip on one of the new rims.What ever happened to quality control?Jack ordered a new rim and authorized one complimentary maintenance for my three hour ordeal and the 250 miles of roundtrip travel.Jack and Carlyn were great to deal with,they both get an A+ for customer service.However I have no faith in the quality of service at Metro.I will pass on the free maintenance.My buying experience at Metro was also below average.I hope the new rim will be blemish free.
Old 08-17-12, 01:00 PM
Stanford9
Driver School Candidate

Default New rim in house

My service advisor Carlyn called to inform me that my new rim was in stock and that it is blemish free. Upon arrival at Metro Lexus she kindly greeted me and had a loaner vehicle waiting. My vehicle was done quickly and correctly. She also appologized for my previous experience with the service department. Carlyn made sure that I was completely satisfied before I left. Kudos to her for excellent customer service.

Last edited by Stanford9; 08-18-12 at 05:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Chrome rims peeling