RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Bring Lexus to Toyota dealer for services - embarrassing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 12:37 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bring Lexus to Toyota dealer for services - embarrassing?

I know we discuss about this topic thousand times. This time i just ask another aspect of the same topic :

Has Any of you done this feel embarrassing because bringing the Lexus to Toyota? Do people at Toyota dealer look at you like a cheap a** ?
I haven't done that but i'm kind of having that feeling if i do so and also i would like to save some money from expensive Lexus services. . Should i try for my 60K maintenance?
Just need some opinions. Thanks

Old 03-21-12, 01:06 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have yet to take my Lexus into Toyota since I only have 7,000 miles on it. I used to take my Acura MDX into the local Honda dealer for routine service (e.g., new brakes) since the nearest Acura dealer was 70 miles away. The Honda folks did not treat me like a pariah or cheap ** as you mention as a possibility. I was happy to save at least $ 100 on any visit to the local Honda dealer for their more reasonable service charges vs. the higher-proced Acura dealership.
Old 03-21-12, 01:35 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I have never had this embarrassing feeling . I stop to day at the Toyota store to set up service on both on my 2010 Camry's .Saw a RX 330 out front that had been serviced today and thought there is someone saving money glad for him. I get up at 3:30 AM when I work day shift and get home at 5:00 am when I work nights. I never have a problem spending money but I WILL NOT waste it. Money has a value to me. If I can get the same work done for less and use the same parts then why in the world would I ever get an embarrassing feeling for saving money . I think I would if I was to let the Lexus dealer screw me out of a few hundred bucks. Do not think they give you a kiss when the are finished with it either.
Old 03-21-12, 02:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm sure the Toyota service department welcomes the work and the revenue. You might feel a little funny at first but the shop will like your business.
Old 03-21-12, 02:19 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
I know we discuss about this topic thousand times. This time i just ask another aspect of the same topic :

Has Any of you done this feel embarrassing because bringing the Lexus to Toyota? Do people at Toyota dealer look at you like a cheap a** ?
I haven't done that but i'm kind of having that feeling if i do so and also i would like to save some money from expensive Lexus services. . Should i try for my 60K maintenance?

If you're concerned about what a car dealer thinks of your wanting to get the best value for your money then you need to either adjust the depth of your wallet (for their benefit) or your priorities... possibly both

The Toyota dealer will, in most (99% ?) cases, be more than capable of handling your service needs. Put the money $ in the bank or towards other mods.

Good luck
Old 03-21-12, 03:18 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Sweet, I'm sure you're not the first Lexus the Toyota dealer serviced. They'll appreciate your business and you can appreciate the savings. Hold your head high and go for it And of course report back with your experience.
Old 03-21-12, 04:04 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Why would anyone be embarrassed for being a smart shopper?
Old 03-22-12, 06:14 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

When I looked for a use GX470 I encountered a high mileage one (82k) and worry about the 90k service (timing belt, water pump, other belts...). I asked the Lexus dealer and was quoted $1400 for all. I went to the Toyota dealer next door and was quoted $800 and was told that the Master technician will do this kind of job. The GX470 and 4Runner V8 are about the same car so they have no problem. RX350/RX450h and HL/HL Hybrid are very similar for the core components so they can do it just fine.
Old 03-22-12, 06:38 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Lexus is made by Toyota. What's the embarassment?
Old 03-22-12, 06:53 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
When I looked for a use GX470 I encountered a high mileage one (82k) and worry about the 90k service (timing belt, water pump, other belts...). I asked the Lexus dealer and was quoted $1400 for all. I went to the Toyota dealer next door and was quoted $800 and was told that the Master technician will do this kind of job. The GX470 and 4Runner V8 are about the same car so they have no problem. RX350/RX450h and HL/HL Hybrid are very similar for the core components so they can do it just fine.
Any embarrassment should be from the Lexus dealer who deems a + 75 % increase in service charge (vs. the Toyota dealer) to be a reasonable fee for such services. I understand if some of the overhead is a little higher, etc., but they are obviously competing with BMW and other luxury brands for what they charge in service fees.
Old 03-23-12, 12:51 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

I've taken my GTO to a Lexus store for an alignment. They had a great alignment guy, my service writer always takes care of me, and I got a loaner. Win win win.

Originally Posted by JimH2
Any embarrassment should be from the Lexus dealer who deems a + 75 % increase in service charge (vs. the Toyota dealer) to be a reasonable fee for such services. I understand if some of the overhead is a little higher, etc., but they are obviously competing with BMW and other luxury brands for what they charge in service fees.
They've got to pay for those comfy leather chairs, wall to wall carpet, flatscreen tv, free wifi, and complimentary snacks somehow.

I always go to Lexus dealers for service because I'll always get a nice loaner, or I can get work done in a comfortable environment if I wait. I understand that Toyota service may be cheaper, but I have gotten to know my Lexus service writer well and he's ALWAYS taken good care of me.
Old 03-23-12, 06:33 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We took the 2001 RX to Toyota all the time. On my first visit there the SA said, "You would be surprised at just home many Lexus products we service." Trust me, they are just glad to have your business. FYI, we also have a 2008 Cadillac CTS with almost 50,000 miles on it. Currently, the air filter, cabin air filter, windshield wipers, and oil filter should be changed. The dealer wants almost $150 just for the parts when he does the service. I purchased the parts for less than $100 on line (including shipping) and will be supplying them to the dealer when he does the service. I don't feel at all "embarrassed" about saving over $50.

Last edited by cafpaf; 03-23-12 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-27-12, 02:54 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Thanks so much guys. I'll def go Toyota this time for 60k to save some bucks Hope it goes well. No need a mask right?
Old 03-27-12, 05:03 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks so much guys. I'll def go Toyota this time for 60k to save some bucks Hope it goes well. No need a mask right?
A fake mustache outta do it.
Old 03-27-12, 09:06 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Took my RX to a Toyota dealership for its 90k service, saved a ton of money and my service tech was very helpful and spent some time going over everything with me.

Quick Reply: Bring Lexus to Toyota dealer for services - embarrassing?