RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Driver's Seat and Narrow Legroom?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-12, 10:47 PM
zyx345
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driver's Seat and Narrow Legroom?

First post on this forum, thanks for having me.

I'm on the fence between the 2013 Acura RDX and the comprable Lexus RX. I'd most likely be getting the non-tech package on both. I've test driven both and I find the Lexus RX350 to have more luxury appointments inside, a smoother ride, and the wood grain is very nice however I found the RX to have a slight confining feel in terms of legroom in the drivers seat.

This may seem like an odd question but to any third gen RX owners, in terms of legroom in the driver's seat, do you find that your right leg continuiously rubs against the center console and/or find it to be narrow?
Old 07-03-12, 10:51 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am 6ft 1in and I have no problem with leg room or feeling confined.
Old 07-04-12, 02:20 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No, I have never had any contact with the console. The seats and driving area seem pretty big to me ... almost to big. It really seems like there is a lot of floor space in the RX. I don't know what is causing you to feel that way, but I will remind you that the steering wheel is adjustable both up/down and in/out. We all have our own preferences and requirements. If you don't feel it is right for you, you should trust that feeling.
Old 07-04-12, 03:54 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I mentioned in another thread that I took the floor mats out of the LS460 I was trading and put them in my RX. The mats fit almost perfectly, if anything they are slightly too small. So in terms of space, it appears the RX has slightly more room than an LS460. I'm sure by adjusting the steering wheel and seat, you can find a comfortable position.
Old 07-04-12, 04:52 AM
cloud11244
Driver School Candidate

Yes, ZYX345, this is my first Lexus RX350, and I do notice my right knee area rubs up against the center console. Otherwise there is plenty of room with no cramping of my feet, and the seat is super comfortable. This will be mainly my wife's car, and she has no complaints. Guess a lot of it depends on your driving posture.
Old 07-04-12, 05:29 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIT, I have no issue with the size, feeling confined, or bumping my knee within the driver (or passenger) side of my 2013 RX450h which has the same physical interior seats/etc as the RX350. Similar to UCSB, if anything, it's too big for my tastes and I'm an almost 6' guy. As mentioned above, I'd also suggest before you rule out the RX, ensure you've really played with the seat and steering wheel adjustments -- a lot. There are many, many, many combinations and besides the seat position, the steering wheel up/down and in/out will completely change the way you sit in the vehicle and how you perceive the comfort of the seats. The steering wheel is what I end up diddling with the most of all personal adjustments -- still am after almost 4 weeks of owning my new 2013 to get it just right. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-04-12, 05:54 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

zyx345,

It's not that I find the driver's side area narrow, but somehow, driving long distances, the angle of my knee resting on the center console and pushing the gas pedal is just wrong enough it makes my knee ache. Turning on cruise control and moving around helps. At least, since I wiggle around like a 6-year old when I drive, there is plenty of room for me to do that.

Unfortunately a two mile test drive around the block isn't going to tell you everything, but it will give you a clue if you are going to be comfortable. I took my best friend to the dealership to make sure he would fit and he did. He's 6'7", but he fits better driving rather than riding in the passenger's seat.

(Then of course my knee may ache because I'm a more "seasoned" driver)

Last edited by DunWkg; 07-04-12 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Added clarification
Old 07-04-12, 07:39 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6'2", 210lbs and haven't had any problems in the driver's position over 37,000km/14 months. The seat, mirrors and steering wheel memory settings make it really easy to switch between my 5'4" wife and myself. I do notice that a regular passenger who is a little on the stout side seems to have trouble getting comfortable in the front passenger seat. This might just be caused by my scary driving however!
Old 07-04-12, 07:57 AM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

ZYX,

I AM SO GLAD YOU POSTED THIS!

My buddy and I go to the Philly Auto Show every year and we have a "right knee room" test we do on each vehicle we sit in. It becomes kind of a joke when we can dismiss "out of knee" a particular vehicle which fails our test.

Sad to say, the third generation RX has failed miserably every year. When the 2013 came out, the first thing I did was contact my salesperson and ask her if they had improved this shortcoming. Apparently I'm in the minority on this because no one else ever asked about it before.

Why the heck Lexus re-designed the RX console that way is beyond me. I have GOBS of room to stretch out my right leg/knee in my '08 and that is very important on long trips. I have yet to test drive the 2013, so MAYBE when you're actually driving and not just sitting there concentrating on lack of knee/leg room it's less of an issue.

I can tell you it's NOT an issue in the Murano and new RDX.

I look forward to reading other's responses to this issue.
Old 07-04-12, 08:10 AM
Driver School Candidate

I agree with you that I also have trouble with the knee issue. I looked and drove both the rdx and rx and found no issues with either as compared to other vehicles. Some cars are REALLY bad in this area.
Old 07-04-12, 12:17 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wondering what people are talking about when their knee is hitting the console, I just went out and sat in my 450h. As mentioned above, it is spacious for me. But, I can now see what some people are experiencing. I have about 3" clearance to the console when driving at the closest point. If I completely relax and let my right leg drift far to the right, I only have 1.5" of clearance. Still plenty of room and no chance of hitting the console, but I'm a slim athlete. I definitely can see how someone else might end up touching the console. Even touching the console in their normal driving position. I think what you are seeing/experiencing is probably accurate; I would not buy the car unless you can live with the current design.

I sympathize with those who find this issue bothersome, but i really hope Lexus does not make the RX driving area any larger. To me, it already feels too large.

Last edited by UCSB; 07-04-12 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-04-12, 04:45 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmmm...maybe the people like me who are having a problem with this have a WIDE STANCE like Larry Craig! ;-)
Old 07-05-12, 06:26 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I think everyone has a unique sitting position when they drive, so anyone can find any car uncomfortable TO THEM. My wife thinks the seats in the RX are uncomfortable, but I’ve never heard anyone else complain about them. If you find a car uncomfortable for the way you sit, it's worth paying attention to the feeling.

On the other hand, I always seem to have a hard time finding a comfortable way to hold the steering wheel when I get new cars. I seem to make use of the arm rests more than most people, and my elbows get sore after a while. However, I always seem to adapt somehow, and soon enough I stop noticing the the issue.

I will also tell you that I think the RX is the most comfortable and best handling road car I've ever driven, once you admit to yourself that it isn't intended to be a race car. I think it could be the perfect car for road trips!
Old 07-05-12, 08:55 AM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I think everyone has a unique sitting position when they drive, so anyone can find any car uncomfortable TO THEM. My wife thinks the seats in the RX are uncomfortable, but I’ve never heard anyone else complain about them. If you find a car uncomfortable for the way you sit, it's worth paying attention to the feeling.

On the other hand, I always seem to have a hard time finding a comfortable way to hold the steering wheel when I get new cars. I seem to make use of the arm rests more than most people, and my elbows get sore after a while. However, I always seem to adapt somehow, and soon enough I stop noticing the the issue.

I will also tell you that I think the RX is the most comfortable and best handling road car I've ever driven, once you admit to yourself that it isn't intended to be a race car. I think it could be the perfect car for road trips!
I also think the RX is one of the best, if not the best, vehicle for taking road trips. It's just so comfortable and just right, no driver fatigue, just a nice soothing driving experience. I've experienced it with my '07 RX and now my '10 RX. And I can confirm it again after driving down to the Florida Keys this 4th of July week, which is a trip that I do often to visit family.
Old 07-05-12, 10:40 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
I also think the RX is one of the best, if not the best, vehicle for taking road trips. It's just so comfortable and just right, no driver fatigue, just a nice soothing driving experience. I've experienced it with my '07 RX and now my '10 RX. And I can confirm it again after driving down to the Florida Keys this 4th of July week, which is a trip that I do often to visit family.
I agree. After many vehicles and many road trips I have to say the RX is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever experienced. I think the center console is fine. Any smaller and people would complain there was not enough storage space.

Quick Reply: Driver's Seat and Narrow Legroom?