RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Curt Hitch Install (Videos)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-12, 12:39 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very good job on the videos and the installation; this is what Forums are really for; to share knowledge with others; Thank You
Old 10-14-12, 02:29 PM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed my second Curt hitch and had the same problem remembering how the fascia went at the back center where the silver headed screws go. I kept trying to put the fascia lip under the bumper cover on both installs. Finally it all clicked and fell into place.
Old 11-12-12, 04:06 PM
f152tall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great video and thanks for passing on the tips learned the hard way. Regarding the hitch being off-center, I had that happen on my last install where I had to loosen all of the bolts to center it too. PITA. Great reminder for us all.
Old 12-09-12, 01:34 PM
f152tall
Driver School Candidate

I just got done installing my new Curt hitch on my Lexus. Thank you for the videos. They really help out! It made the installation of breeze.

I'm still not quite sure how to fasten down the wiring where comes out of the center cut hole. Any ideas or pictures?
Old 12-10-12, 02:18 PM
mac12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by f152tall
I just got done installing my new Curt hitch on my Lexus. Thank you for the videos. They really help out! It made the installation of breeze.

I'm still not quite sure how to fasten down the wiring where comes out of the center cut hole. Any ideas or pictures?
They make a hitch cover that has a receptacle for the wiring plug. This is what I use. I'll try to post a pic. I used the same cover on my 2013.
Attached Thumbnails Curt Hitch Install (Videos)-dscn0027.jpg  
Old 12-13-12, 02:21 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice write-up!
I did the same install and I found if you turn fascia upside-down, there are traces of where the cut is supposed to go. No need for the masking tape measurements.

Also, for those without the towing-prep package, the rear 4-pin connector under the bumper will not work. You need to install towing lights controller. All of wires can be found in a connector hanging behind the right taillight. Put the fuse in under the hood, and you got power there.
Old 12-14-12, 01:11 PM
bonnier
Driver School Candidate

Should I ever need to do it, this video and instructions will be a lot of help. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-18-12, 09:25 AM
Ciege
Rookie

Seems Santa is bringing me one of these this year... Will definitely re-watch the videos before starting the install!
Old 03-04-13, 10:08 AM
Ciege
Rookie

Just tackled this on Sunday. Installed onto an '11 450h.
It took me about 2 hours start to finish, but I was "helped" by a 6 year old so there were a few distractions!

Thanks for the videos!
Old 07-05-13, 06:32 PM
desmo907
Driver

Just posted in Hybrid Forums (sorry) but just got a 2013 RX 450h and want to install hitch.
I do not have tow prep option so suspect i need the wiring stuff too.
I see a few Curt (and other hitches) on sale.... any idea on best?

And is this video applicable to my install?

Thx,

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Nice write-up!
I did the same install and I found if you turn fascia upside-down, there are traces of where the cut is supposed to go. No need for the masking tape measurements.

Also, for those without the towing-prep package, the rear 4-pin connector under the bumper will not work. You need to install towing lights controller. All of wires can be found in a connector hanging behind the right taillight. Put the fuse in under the hood, and you got power there.
Old 07-05-13, 06:59 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

those videos should be helpful to anyone looking to do this in teh future!
Old 07-05-13, 08:52 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the Curt one too, hardest part was finding a person to help you lift the other side and trim the plastic
Old 10-30-13, 08:39 AM
robartin
Driver School Candidate

These videos were super helpful for my install job. Thank you!
Old 07-07-17, 10:18 AM
ribster197
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi all
I see that there are 2 types of trailer hitches. straight bar and a curved bar (over the muffler) 1: which one is better and 2: I guess less time to install
which brand is the best?
thanks
ROB
Old 01-01-20, 12:16 PM
Skier76
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RX 350 Trailer Hitch Install

I bought a hitch from e-trailer.com a few months back and did the install at our weekend house up north. It was a really straight forward job. I went with a Curt hitch and a wiring kit. As of yet, I still haven't installed the wiring kit. We've used the hitch a few times for hauling our mt bikes via an hitch mounted bike rack.

I was able to mount this hitch solo in under two hours. Kudos to Lexus for putting grommets on the unused welded nuts located in the frame rails. I spent a lot less time cleaning out threads and instead, was able to focus on mounting via the supplied bolts.

A few notes:

Using a motorcycle/ATV jack allows you to do this job solo. It's like a second set of hands.

I was able to get the hitch mounted without dropping the rear exhaust. I used a microfiber towel to protect the hitch when lining things up.

Removing the factory bolts wasn't that bad. I ended up using a 1/2" ratchet, extension and socket. I didn't need my impact at all.

Make sure you have a torque wrench so you can torque everything to spec.

I used some snips to cut the plastic which made life easier.

For a factory look, I ordered a 2" Lexus receiver cover from E-Bay. As you can see from the last pic, the hitch is tucked up close to the rear bumper. Overall, really happy with how this looks and ease of install.

Everything laid out and ready to go!

The directions recommended a battery terminal cleaner for cleaning out the threads if needed.

Towel over the rear exhaust to help with mounting and reducing scratches.

Mechanical second set of hands.

A few small cuts was al it took.

Looks factory.

Quick Reply: Curt Hitch Install (Videos)