RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What's Your Opinion of 2012 RX's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-12, 01:06 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Art3
Well, here's another member of the I-traded-my-ES350-for-an-RX350 Club. The ES was my first Lexus, and I was impressed with just about everything, quality-wise; but I did have two substantial issues with it: (a) you simply can't see out the back of the darn thing and (b) the car seemed to wander around on the highway. At first I thought the problem was my senior citizen driving, but then I've read in two different car mags that the pros have the same problem. What a great change to drive the RX! It's MUCH better on the curves and twisties, it's superbly finished, the gadget factor is a 9.4, and it hollers "luxury" at you. My only negative is that I seem to occasionally doink my right knee against the steering column.

We also own an SRX Caddy, 2006, and it's another good SUV that the car books loved and Consumer Reports hated. It's fine, but, you know, when I drive it, I just feel like I'm driving a truck.You'll never have that feeling in the RX.
Well said!
Old 02-03-12, 02:58 PM
peh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just bought a 2012 RX 350 and after years of owning BMW's and MB's we love the Lexus. Good quality, smooth quiet ride and nice features. The dealers facitlies look to be a step up also from we're used to. We've only had the RX a week but we like it so far.
Old 02-03-12, 07:53 PM
sjf
Driver School Candidate

We bought a 2011 IS350 last September and my wife really loves it. We kept her '04" Toyota Sienna for practical purposes such as hauling groceries, golf clubs, etc. We're seriously considering trading it in on an RX350 this year, and, from what I'm reading here, we won't be disappointed.
Old 05-27-12, 02:40 PM
artilleryl
Driver School Candidate

Smile New RX 450h

Just traded my 2010 LS 460 AWD for a 2012 450h, and love the car. I was getting tired of the mileage with the LS, but other than that it was a great machine. This is my second 450h so I know what to expect. They are exceptional vehicles!
Old 05-27-12, 03:10 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on your new RX450h and welcome to the forum.
Old 05-27-12, 07:37 PM
mattiv
Driver School Candidate

Default happy with my purchase

I just bought a 2012 rx350 and so far am cautiously ok with it. The ride is comfortable but i'm sort of a gadget person so I thought if I got the ultra premium 2 upgrade for $17,9000 I would get everything I have in my 2006 Infiniti m35x. I find the Infiniti had more technology.For instance, I don't have radar controlled cruise control and tire pressure indicator that will tell you which tire has which pressure. I know I am complaining but I just thought for an extra 18 grand I would get all that. I hit a racoon on the highway the other day and the plastic under the front end broke in a few pieces. I'ts going to cost me about 2 grand to fix it. It seems very flimsy under the front bumper. I can understand if its under the rear end but doesn't make sense in the front. Otherwise I find the car pleasant to drive not exciting though.
Old 05-27-12, 08:23 PM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So far, so good. I've only got 875 miles on it however. My wife drives it most of the time. It drives a little rough for me; it seems like I feel a lot of the bumps in the road. My Lexus is an LS 430 and has a much more comfortable ride. I'm not complaining, just pointing out that difference.
Old 05-28-12, 05:15 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mattiv: Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. Sorry you didn't get the options you thought you had purchased. I tend to be a research hound on details of what I'm getting before I put my money down. I'll let my Canadian friends reply if they like, but here in the US at least, it's very clear in all marketing materials and even on the window stickers that some options such as PCS/Radar Cruise Control you mention, are independent options even with what we call "the luxury package" (sort of like your ultra premium) down here. I say that because I've been very specific on the options I've ordered on each of my last vehicles, down to the last detail as others likely know from other posts of mine the last few months. You're the second person in the last couple of weeks on the forum that when they got home, didn't quite get the options they thought they were purchasing. I'm sorry to say it, but wondering if 2012 sales and the excitement of the purchase are part of that reason. Anyway, good luck on that unfortunate road hazard repair and I wish you well with a great vehicle!

Paul B: Good to hear you're nearing the 1K mark already. As time goes on, take a gander here in other posts about type of tires and pressure. While we don't get a choice on the brand that is delivered on the vehicle, some folks are convinced of differences and swapping out with Michelin or Pirelli when they can, and adjusting their tire pressure to change the way the vehicle rides (and of course that will effect wear).

Last edited by BertL; 05-28-12 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 05-28-12, 05:33 AM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for your comments Bert. When the 2012 RX 350 had about 250 miles on it, I reduced the air pressure in the tires from 36 psi that the dealer had installed down to 32 psi. That helped a little but not enough for me, so I traded the Dunlop GrandTreks in for Pirelli Scorpion Verde in the same size. I did notice an improvement in the ride, but just the nature of the vehicle will never have it drive as comfortably as an LS 430.

My wife goes skiing in the wintertime 1-2 days a week and a side benefit of the Pirelli Scorpions is better handling in the snow compared to the Dunlops, shown in a study on the Tire Rack web site rating SUV tires in various sizes.
Old 06-22-12, 11:53 PM
silver127
Driver School Candidate

I traded a 2010 Lexus ES for a 2012 RX AWD with the luxury & prem packages. There are pros and cons to each, as the ES was a little quieter than the RX, and faster due to its lighter weight. Gas mileage is good for the RX's size, as I used to own a 07 toyota Rav4 with a 4 cylinder, and the RX gets the same gas mileage. The RX has a better center console than the ES, as well as more comfortable seats. I also like the 12 RX only needs regular fuel, as I looked at the BMW, Merc, Acura, and they all require premium fuel.