RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 rx350 [Updated with leaked pics page 2]

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 09:08 AM
qualityCar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Changes

I think I'm showing my age(50) by not liking the new changes. I personally do not like the new front end, to me, they've broken the nice fluent lines of the car with the grill changes. It looks unfinished. It sure feels like the changes they've made are an attempt to make it look sportier in a less than subtle way, which in my opinion, goes against the point of the 'luxury' brand. Too bad they didn't leave the sportier (attempt) to the F Sport.

I also agree with the interior change comments I've read here. The black interior only comes with black wood, which just looks like shiny solid black on the steering wheel, no wood grain is visible. The black interior over all has no character. At least on the 12 it was broken up by the color of the wood. Also where did the two tone dash go on the gray interior? Ideally the carpet and flooring areas that can get dirty easier would be darker and the upper areas that are cosmetic (dash, upper doors) and attract heat, would be lighter. Splashing silver plastic around on the steering wheel and glove box isnt a big, deal but it does look less refined, a bit cheep. On a positive note, I do like the contrasting seat thread and the backup camera moving from the rear view mirror to the larger in dash screen. Do others agree?
Old 06-07-12, 09:25 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Some people love the spindle grille, others don't. I still believe the styling decision and inclusion of the F-Sport items is to help lower the age of average buyers -- let's hope it does not therefore take away from the older set. I'm like you -- mid 50's, and the spindle grille is not what I would have chosen, but since this is Lexus' stated longer-term styling direction, I chose to learn to live with it and will be taking delivery on my 3rd new RX -- a 2013 RX450h -- tomorrow. I would not have included the F-sport cosmetics package on my special order even if it would have been available.

Last edited by BertL; 06-07-12 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Updated to say my new RX450h comes tomorrow! Yeah!
Old 06-07-12, 11:14 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i wish Lexus took the direction of the BMW.
for the 3 series, they offer 4 flavors..( excluding the coupe and M package)

1. base
2. luxury
3.modern
4. sport
Old 06-08-12, 05:37 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
Congratulations on that order. I'm waiting for a call my 2013 is ready any day now as well!!!
thanks as far as i know
the car is with Lexus australia and is just waiting to be released at the release date cant wait!!
Old 06-09-12, 04:40 AM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I heard that the ac plugs that were located in the bowels of the center console on the 2010 thru 2012 RX's have been moved in the 2013 RX. Can anyone confirm where they were moved to??
Old 06-09-12, 04:57 AM
BertL

Yes, they were moved up in the 2013s. The USB connector now points up towards you on the inside passenger side of the console under the lid and the ac plug is just below that. No more searching for either one.
Old 06-09-12, 10:03 AM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Yes, they were moved up in the 2013s. The USB connector now points up towards you on the inside passenger side of the console under the lid and the ac plug is just below that. No more searching for either one.
Are there two AC plugs inside the console and then the third one near the floor in the understorage area, or did it lose an AC plug??
Old 06-09-12, 03:46 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I presume you mean DC plugs, not AC plugs. There is one in the pass through area, one in the center console, and one in the trunk area.
Old 06-09-12, 03:46 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
Are there two AC plugs inside the console and then the third one near the floor in the understorage area, or did it lose an AC plug??
I only see and feel 1 USB and 1 outlet inside the console. There is another in the understorage area between the driver and passenger, and another in the back cargo area. The console has a cavern way under what I consider the usable space that extends forward under the area with the Nav controller and such. I didn't feel anything in there. You may want to check the online manuals in My Lexus -- as I'm going through mine in the next few days, if I locate another outlet somewhere, I'll post here.
Old 06-09-12, 03:48 PM
BertL

Yes, DC... :-)
Old 06-10-12, 10:51 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qualityCar

I also agree with the interior change comments I've read here. The black interior only comes with black wood, which just looks like shiny solid black on the steering wheel, no wood grain is visible. The black interior over all has no character. At least on the 12 it was broken up by the color of the wood. Also where did the two tone dash go on the gray interior? Ideally the carpet and flooring areas that can get dirty easier would be darker and the upper areas that are cosmetic (dash, upper doors) and attract heat, would be lighter. Splashing silver plastic around on the steering wheel and glove box isnt a big, deal but it does look less refined, a bit cheep. On a positive note, I do like the contrasting seat thread and the backup camera moving from the rear view mirror to the larger in dash screen. Do others agree?
AGREED
Even the cashmere and grey interiors come only with the very dark wood (espresso). Don't like it at all. You can hardly tell it's wood. Just looks all black.
What happened to the nice contrasting walnut or golden birds-eye maple which they've had at least since '07??!!!
Some people like all black,fine, but many others don't. So, where's the choice, which you have always offered, Lexus?
Old 06-10-12, 07:33 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Yeah, I'm not feeling where Lexus is going with the "black wood" theme for the interior trim. Between doing away with Adaptive Forward lighting and auto high beams, and now very narrow choices with the wood trim, I'm notching quite a few negative checks towards a reason to get a 2013.
A new front end and updated navigation don't really seam, in my personal opinion, enough to upgrade.
Old 06-11-12, 08:39 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

starting new thread on this interior color limitation...
Old 06-12-12, 08:45 PM
BertL

I only see and feel 1 USB and 1 outlet inside the console. There is another in the understorage area between the driver and passenger, and another in the back cargo area. The console has a cavern way under what I consider the usable space that extends forward under the area with the Nav controller and such. I didn't feel anything in there. You may want to check the online manuals in My Lexus -- as I'm going through mine in the next few days, if I locate another outlet somewhere, I'll post here.
Just found in the 2013 manual that there is "optional equipment" available with a 4th outlet... While the three we cited are 12V, this one is 120V max 100W and is located below the air con vents in the center console that blows into the back seat area. My vehicle does not have this, but I would suspect this 4th outlet may come with RSES perhaps... Unsure on that point, but at least I found the reference to EMSLEXUSRX's 4th outlet...
Old 06-12-12, 09:21 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jclem
AGREED
Even the cashmere and grey interiors come only with the very dark wood (espresso). Don't like it at all. You can hardly tell it's wood. Just looks all black.
What happened to the nice contrasting walnut or golden birds-eye maple which they've had at least since '07??!!!
Some people like all black,fine, but many others don't. So, where's the choice, which you have always offered, Lexus?
NOT true of Satin Cashmere Metallic; I hate the black wood; mine has the light wood and very light interior!!