RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 12-15-14, 12:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Homelink Not Working with Chamberlain/LiftMaster Security+ 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-12, 11:14 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Everyone, just a clarification for me please. The car learns from the remote and when you push the learn button on the opener, isn't the opener learning the codes(or that there is a new remote) from the car? The opener doesn't send information to the car or does it?
Old 01-04-12, 11:35 AM
Jerome
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rxsuperman,

Good to know you were able to program your Homelink button with the new top of the line Chamberlain; we have the year RX and maybe the same model garage door opener,

http://www.lowes.com/pd_349544-38782...ain&facetInfo=
Chamberlain 3/4-HP MyQ Belt Garage Door Opener with Battery Backup
Item #: 349544
Model #: 349544

I believe that's a lot of validity that the fluorescent lights are interfering with the Homelink learning the signal from the Chamberlain garage opener head unit. When I learn the signal from the remote inside the RX in my driveway, it would take several arm breaking tries to work (which now relates to the interference with the fluorescent light bulbs). When I was away, a few miles from my driveway, I was able to learn the garage door opener remote to the Homelink button within 45 seconds. To be clear, the second part of the programming where the Homelink button learn the signal from the garage door opener head unit NEVER worked...no flashing lights or double clicks from the unit to indicate successful learning.
Old 01-04-12, 12:49 PM
rxsuperman
Driver

Originally Posted by Jerome
rxsuperman,

Good to know you were able to program your Homelink button with the new top of the line Chamberlain; we have the year RX and maybe the same model garage door opener,

http://www.lowes.com/pd_349544-38782...ain&facetInfo=
Chamberlain 3/4-HP MyQ Belt Garage Door Opener with Battery Backup
Item #: 349544
Model #: 349544

I believe that's a lot of validity that the fluorescent lights are interfering with the Homelink learning the signal from the Chamberlain garage opener head unit. When I learn the signal from the remote inside the RX in my driveway, it would take several arm breaking tries to work (which now relates to the interference with the fluorescent light bulbs). When I was away, a few miles from my driveway, I was able to learn the garage door opener remote to the Homelink button within 45 seconds. To be clear, the second part of the programming where the Homelink button learn the signal from the garage door opener head unit NEVER worked...no flashing lights or double clicks from the unit to indicate successful learning.
I also use energy saving fluorcent lights on my garage ceiling and within the Chamberlain head units (two separate garage doors). I did not have any problem programing the Homelink buttons using the Chainberlain remote. I believe the head unit can only communicate with its remote, and the Homelink buttons can only communicate with the remote. The head unit cannot directly communicate with the Homelink buttons; so if you have to reprogram, you always have to first reprogram your remote from your head unit, and then reprogram your Homelink button(s) from your remote.
Old 01-04-12, 01:57 PM
Jerome
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
I also use energy saving fluorcent lights on my garage ceiling and within the Chamberlain head units (two separate garage doors). I did not have any problem programing the Homelink buttons using the Chainberlain remote. I believe the head unit can only communicate with its remote, and the Homelink buttons can only communicate with the remote. The head unit cannot directly communicate with the Homelink buttons; so if you have to reprogram, you always have to first reprogram your remote from your head unit, and then reprogram your Homelink button(s) from your remote.
When you get a chance, could you please provide your Chamberlain model number? Apparently, Chamberlain garage door openers use two versions of Security+. For my Lowes' Chamberlain model number 349544 (same as model WD962KEV from Home Depot or Chamberlain.com), it has Security+ 2.0 integrated. For example, these are the two current Chamberlain garage door openers with different security software:

Chamberlain
3/4-HP MyQ Belt Garage Door Opener with Battery Backup
Model: WD962KEV
Rolling Code Technology: Security+ 2.0™ anti-burglary technology assures a new code is sent every time the remote control is used

Chamberlain
Power Drive® 3/4 HP Chain Drive Garage Access System
Model: PD752D
Rolling Code Technology: Security+® anti-burglary technology assures a new code is sent every time the remote control is used

When I program the remote with the garage door opener head unit, it works without any issues. But once I use that same remote to program successfully the Homelink button in my 2011 RX350, I cannot just use the Homelink button immediately to open the garage door because of the rolling code technology. The next step is to push the "learn" button on the garage door opener head unit then run back to the car and press the learned Homelink button from the previous step. The Homelink button should be pressed and hold for 2 seconds, one may have to do this 3 times.

I've called HomeLink and they said I may need a repeater to use my HomeLink button with Security+ 2.0 garage door openers. But I do not like the idea of plugging in an extra unit in order to use my Homelink button in a 2011 model vehicle.

Are you saying you only have to learn the signal from the garage door opener remote to your Homelink button? Once you learned the signal, you can immediately use the HomeLink button to open your garage door?
Old 01-04-12, 04:27 PM
rxsuperman
Driver

My garages use the Chamberlain Whisper Drive Security+ (model HD900D) openers. Yes, as soon as I programmed the Homelink buttons from my remote, the Homelink buttons can immediately open or close the garage doors. The "Security+" designator indicates rolling code security. I haven't had to reprogram my Homelink buttons since I programmed them initially.
Old 01-04-12, 05:50 PM
Jerome
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
My garages use the Chamberlain Whisper Drive Security+ (model HD900D) openers. Yes, as soon as I programmed the Homelink buttons from my remote, the Homelink buttons can immediately open or close the garage doors. The "Security+" designator indicates rolling code security. I haven't had to reprogram my Homelink buttons since I programmed them initially.
Interesting! My old LiftMaster garage opener also had Security+ and I was able to program the Homelink buttons without any issues but I always had to learn the signal from the garage door opener head unit (after learning the signal from the remote to the Homelink button). With Security+ 2.0, it is so far incompatible with 2011 Lexus RX350. This partly explains why you have no issues with your Chamberlain as it has the legacy Security+ 1.0 (let's call it version 1).
Old 01-04-12, 09:33 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Jerome,

Did you have your old liftmaster working with this 2011 RX? I'm beginning to wonder if the RX's homelink is not transmitting. The learning procedure from the Liftmaster remote to RX Homelink required the Homelink just to receive, not transmit IIRC. So there has not been any test yet to see if your RX HOmelink actually transmits? If this is true, then time to take RX in sooner than later to prevent further hair density reduction.
Old 01-04-12, 11:33 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Some newer vehicles (2008 and up) still do not have the new Security+ 2.0™ code in the HomeLink system. Why did this happen?
*HomeLink is manufactured and designed by Johnson Controls, a large interior supplier to the automotive industry. Chamberlain (LiftMaster) gave Johnson Controls the new Security+ 2.0™ rolling code back in 2006 so they could add it to the HomeLink system in some vehicle models starting in late 2007. Many automotive companies chose not to immediately implement the new version of HomeLink for various reasons. In fact, some vehicles made in 2011 still do not have the new version. It may be that even within the same vehicle make, there are models that have the new HomeLink codes and in the same year, models that do not. This condition exists through no fault of Chamberlain or Johnson Controls; it was simply based on decisions at each automotive manufacturer to implement or delay the new version of HomeLink.
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...21439917914472

The repeater seems kinda(?) cheap or you just put an opener remote in the car.

Plus as someone has said test your car with a different opener, your car may not be transmitting. Or let the dealer find out if the 2011 has the new codes. Possibly a firmware/software update?

Last edited by DunWkg; 01-04-12 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-05-12, 07:20 PM
Jerome
Driver School Candidate

Read the same facebook link too but thought I would seek the help of CL members. Would rather not use the repeater as it defeats the purpose of buying a battery backup garage door opener...if your house power goes out, the repeater does not work so you're stuck outside as your Homelink is not sending anything to the garage door opener head unit. It's disappointing to pay so much money for such a high tech vehicle and not be able to use an important feature such as Homelink. From the facebook link, seems like Lexus missed implementing the correct Homelink software (version 4.0+) for us 2011 RX'ers (in order to work with Security+ 2.0)? Next option is a visit to the dealer.
Old 01-05-12, 07:45 PM
efmeis
Driver School Candidate

I just got my Lexus RX 350 and couln't program my remote until I went to the door opener motor unit itself installed in the gagrage and pushed the the button on it (on the side of the unit)......a small green light came on and I had about 30 seconds to get to the car and push the Homelink button until it blinked rapidly. Then everything worked . I could not make this happen using the garage door remote opener.

I was, however, able to follow the standard featureprogramming procedure using the remote gate opener for the entrance gate to our gated community. The owner's manual procedure worked fine for this.
Old 01-06-12, 05:21 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Jerome, I certainly understand your frustration. I was wondering if the repeater couldn't use the power from the opener battery back-up? The electrical load of the repeater might not significantly affect the back-up cycle. Just wondering out loud.

A couple of mildly ugly solutions would be to plug the repeater into a desktop computer type of battery back-up somewhere in the garage or install a keypad for the opener outside the garage door.

As has been indicated, two possible problems are the car isn't sending the proper codes or/and not transmitting at all. Both could possibly be resolved by the dealer.

Good luck.
Old 01-06-12, 05:39 AM
Jerome
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Jerome, I certainly understand your frustration. I was wondering if the repeater couldn't use the power from the opener battery back-up? The electrical load of the repeater might not significantly affect the back-up cycle. Just wondering out loud.

A couple of mildly ugly solutions would be to plug the repeater into a desktop computer type of battery back-up somewhere in the garage or install a keypad for the opener outside the garage door.

As has been indicated, two possible problems are the car isn't sending the proper codes or/and not transmitting at all. Both could possibly be resolved by the dealer.

Good luck.
It is an option to plug the repeater into a UPS, but a Frankenstein work-around

It would interesting that CL members would chime in to let us know that their third gen RX Homelink works with a garage door opener with Security+ 2.0 (not the legacy Security+). If successful, note year and model of RX.

Thanks everyone for all the useful comments/suggestions!
Old 01-09-12, 07:58 AM
Boricua248
Driver School Candidate

Angry Chamberlain 349544

Ok so I googled my issue and found this forum. I do not have a Lexus, I have a Land Rover LR2 and have the same issue. There is no information on the box or in the user guide that says anything other than Homelink compatible. The real truth is you must have a 2012 (possibly a 2011)or newer vehicle with Homelink's newest software version because it is not backwards compatible with the previous software versions in older model vehicles, which 99% of us own. I called chamberlain and they have no idea about any of this. I called Homelink and offered to sell me a signal repeater to make this compatible with my vehicle for $49.99!!!! This is total false advertisement on chamberlains part. I sent an email to them and they said they can't handle my question since they don't make homelink and referred me to homelink, but my question to them was basically why would the box state homelink compatible, but only on 2012 or newer cars with new home link software. This is a perfect scenario for a class action lawsuit if I've ever seen one. I don't even think chamberlain realizes this issue exists. The repeater should've come with the opener if they are going to claim its home link compatible with no other fine print of needing additional equipment for it to work.
Old 01-11-12, 05:22 AM
SouthLake
Driver School Candidate

Hello Gents, i found this thread by means of google and joined your forum. I own a 2011 BMW 3 series. (dont hate me!)

i wanted to participate here because i just installed a Chamberlain HD920EV (HD900 series) and have been unable to get the Homelink link in my 2011 car to learn the remote code.

I called homelink and they were kind enough to send out a "repeater" (thats on back order)

ive done all the steps, properly, millions of times and while ive programed my homelink in my car to work with other devices, (since cleared it) it does NOT play well with this chamberlain Security 2.0 unit!

i prob wont get the repeater in the mail for another month and hope that we can figure something out so none of us would have to use it anyways.

When i called chamberlain (liftmaster) to talk to them they were quick to pawn me off to homelink. Homelink told me that because the Opener has the yellow learn button means it should be compatible with Homelink. this does not appear to be the case with these particular models of garage door openers.... which is really frustrating...
Old 01-11-12, 06:31 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Boricua and SouthLake, thanks for drop'n by. Curious how this all works out.

Quick Reply: Homelink Not Working with Chamberlain/LiftMaster Security+ 2.0