RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 12-15-14, 12:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Homelink Not Working with Chamberlain/LiftMaster Security+ 2.0

Old 02-10-13, 04:14 PM
2011RX350
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Embarassing to say, since I am an engineer, I had similar problems - trying to do the instructions with the door opener versus those in the Lexus manual. It wasnt till I watched a demo on Youtube that I got mine programmed.
Old 03-18-13, 10:20 AM
fish4life
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem with 2006 Acura MDX

I also found this thread due to Googling, and it is by far the most useful thing out there for anyone with (legacy) Homelink hardware and a newer Chamberlain (Security+ 2.0) opener. I also beat my head against the wall trying to program our new LW3500 (Lowes Chamberlain 1/2hp whisper drive belt) opener to the Homelink in our 2006 Acura MDX. I found jayclapp's post very useful.... I called Chamberlain today and explained my situation, and they are indeed shipping me out a Homelink repeater for just a $7 shipping charge. So indeed they will resolve this for vehicles back to 2006. Sorry Lexus folks for yet another non-Lexus vehicle post... but this is such a particularly useful thread that I felt I should give back and add my details in case anyone else out there with either my same vehicle, or possibly my same opener is stuck.

Chamberlain really should make this incompatibility VERY clear on their box or in the instructions. They are quick to resolve it over the phone, but customers waste hours trying to figure it out in the first place.
Old 06-08-13, 08:51 AM
tomonlexus
Driver School Candidate

Talking Finally Progamed Lexus Homelink & Chamberlain door opener.

After many attempts I found a solution for this problem.
The remotes failed to program the Homelink in my 2007 ES 350 & 2013 RX 350 even with new batteries. This could be the main cause for many of our problems.

If you have the Wireless Keypad (that will open the door) this is a piece of cake.

I removed the Liftmaster wireless keypad from outside the garage and got into the car.
In the car I pressed a button on the Hometech while I entered the 4 digit numerical code in the keypad and pressed it's enter button

The Hometech red light started blinking rapidly after 5 seconds.

Then I pushed the learn button on the opener in the garage and within 30 seconds pushed the same # button on the Hometech panel in the car. The light on the opener blinked.

I did this for each car and it worked! I cant believe how many views are on this problem. Thanks to all of you that suggested fixes foe what is a big problem.
tomonlexus
Old 06-09-13, 01:41 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
I just installed top of the line Chainberlain garage door openers (with backup batteries) 6 months ago and I have not had to reprogram my 2011 RX350 homelink buttons since I initially program them using the remote.
exact same steps I took as RXSUPERMAN on my then new-replacement Chamberlain two+ years ago and no problem.
Old 06-11-13, 09:24 PM
Rx3fiddy
Driver School Candidate

Steve Harma-

Thanks was extremely frustrated, then found your post and followed your instructions. They not only worked like a champ for my 2010 RX 350 but my A6 as well. Thanks!

{Do yourself a favor and follow these instructions....}
Old 07-03-13, 02:07 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Just had a Liftmaster 8355 installed and as the installer was finishing I reminded him that he had told me a few months ago that he would program my car when he installed the new opener. To my surprise he said he couldn't do it and went on to explain that his offer related to the prior version of the Liftmaster and that this new version would not work with homelink and that I should complain to Lexus. After searching and finding this thread and went back and tried it and was able to program both a 2013 GS and ES in about 30 seconds each. Different story on a 2013 Yukon which does not use Homelink and apparently is not going to work without the repeater which I don't want.

Dave Mac
Old 07-04-13, 11:22 AM
zmanRX350
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had issues as well as mine garage door opener communicates over 433MHz frequency. Thus far, no one at Lexus can tell me how to get HomeLink to work.
Old 07-08-13, 06:24 PM
wallmarg
Driver School Candidate

Dave Mac - I didn't want a repeater either but once I had it and installed, I don't even remember that it is even in my garage. It does take up and outlet space (I use an outlet extender). Make sure that it is not plugged into the same outlet as the opener. The other trick I learned is that I need to quickly press and release the button in my car. If I press it down for more than a brief moment, the garage door doesn't open/close. If I press it briefly, zero problems.
Old 08-11-13, 09:25 AM
aircav
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SteveHarma
I'm not personally a Lexus owner, but I found this very interesting because I also have a chamberlain garage door opener. I have a 2011 Nissan Pathfinder Silver edition. Anyway, all of the troubleshooting and steps that everyone went though to get HomeLink working really helped me in my own situation, so I thought I'd share with everyone. Hopefully by sharing someone else will have an easier time than me. Here are the steps I took:
1. Press button A and C simultaneously for about 20 seconds until all codes are clear.
2. With my garage door opener remote, Simultaneously press desired HomeLink button and my garage remote button until I get that rapid flashing light on the HomeLink. (it's funny, but this part goes very quick and seems so easy)
3. FINAL PART, LOL VERY IMPORTANT
4. Once you have synced your HomeLink button in your car, truck or whatever. Get out and press the LEARN button for about 1 second on the opener itself, then quickly get back in your car and press the button you just synced. About 2 or 3 seconds later VIOLA!!! SUCCESS!!! Whew, that was a pain.
I wanted to share one other note - I did have LED lights in my garage and I left them OFF just in case that was a factor. Thank you everyone for your posts, I really appreciated them. Steve
This absolutely worked for my RX450h 2010. Thanks!!!
Old 11-20-13, 03:37 PM
djk4304
Driver School Candidate

Default liftmaster homelink compatibility problem

i also had the problem. nobody wants to own up to the problem. as far as i am concerned if a repeater takes care of the problem this should have been engineered into the new opener. i told this to lift master technical people. an add on unit means someone blew it . also i agree with the person who brought up the point about this unit being called a repeater. i just had this same conversation with my garage door guy. i just had an 8550 opener installed and love the app on my phone. not happy with the compatibility problem.
Old 11-25-13, 06:33 AM
wallmarg
Driver School Candidate

Default other tips

I was having problems intermittently with my Homelink connecting to the repeater. I figured out 2 things that seem to solve the problem: Simply unplug and replug in the repeater. The other thing is that my Homelink button in my Lexus seems to work better if I press the far left side as opposed to the middle or right side of the button. And don't hold it down, simply tape it and release.
Old 11-30-13, 08:26 PM
hdans
Driver School Candidate

Default Ugh, Homelink

If you have an RX 350 that is a 2012 or older, forget about programming it to operate the new Chamberlain/LiftMaster garage door openers. It can't be done. Period. Our cars have some "old tech" on board, and this is one of the consequences. If yours is a 2013 or later, that technology has been updated and will work with the new Homelink Security 2.0+ system (AKA: "yellow programming button").

When this came to be a problem for me with my 2012 RX 350, I couldn't decide who to be mad at. Lexus for pimping old tech, Chamberlain for selling me such a garage door opener that won't work with this "newer" model Lexus, or Homelink for their lack-of-backward-compatibility technology. I've decided that my ire will rest with Homelink! They are the problem here.

I acquired one of those "repeaters" from Chamberlain that is alleged to fix the problem; you can pick one up for $7 shipping only if your Homelink is out of date. I installed the repeater and it worked . . . sort of: a) the range is very short (you have to be right up on the door for it to open), b) it isn't very secure; just about everything will set it off, including pressing the L2 seat button!, and 3) in a power outage, you still won't be able to get into your garage because the repeater must be plugged in to work. The repeater is a bad idea in my view.

So, I decided to fix the problem in a way that works for me and bypasses the Homelink system. Seems like with a $50K car one wouldn't have to resort to this, but it is what it is. I popped open one of the working visor controllers and mounted the innards in the overhead console compartment as shown in the photos. After soldering a wire from the #1 button's contacts, I mounted a nice button from Radio Shack, hooked it all up, and I'm done. Works great and I even like how it looks. One button. Voila. Fixed.
Attached Thumbnails Homelink Not Working with Chamberlain/LiftMaster Security+ 2.0-photo.jpg   Homelink Not Working with Chamberlain/LiftMaster Security+ 2.0-photo2.jpg  
Old 12-03-13, 09:27 AM
ehfour
Driver School Candidate

hdans,

Maybe its just me, but I'd rather have to use my remote vs having a red button

Props for ingenuity
Old 12-26-13, 11:37 AM
MadloR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Oh Yeah Baby...

Originally Posted by hdans
So, I decided to fix the problem in a way that works for me and bypasses the Homelink system. Seems like with a $50K car one wouldn't have to resort to this, but it is what it is. I popped open one of the working visor controllers and mounted the innards in the overhead console compartment as shown in the photos. After soldering a wire from the #1 button's contacts, I mounted a nice button from Radio Shack, hooked it all up, and I'm done. Works great and I even like how it looks. One button. Voila. Fixed.
I was going to go with the Sommer Garage Door opener, but wanted the Liftmaster 8550 because of the internet gateway and the fact it had battery backup. Damn Homelink V2... I too believe the repeater kit supplied by liftmaster (if you call in to complain, they will send you one plus $7 S&H) is a stupid solution to a problem addressing the issue with congested RF frequency, and poor security (for most conventional garage door openers).

I am going to mod one of my remotes and install it somewhere in the car as you have done. Bravo for turning a negative into a positive for me...

Nice, and props!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 12-27-13, 09:07 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you guys sure the newer openers are not working with your cars? I find it hard to believe my '99RX Homelink would work on Security+ system, but not the 3rd gen Homelink. Just to clarify here, I just got a Chamberlain 1/2 HP whisper belt drive LW3500 and a Genie 3/4 hp quiet belt drive 3042-TK3, both had to be programmed this way, which if you read the manual is not really crystal clear, but hopefully this will be:

1. program the handheld garage door opener to the garage door opener first and make sure it works.
2. press (and hold) the handheld garage door opener along with the button in the RX that you want the garage door opener to be, simultaneously together for 20+ seconds until the red light starts to flash rapidly, then release the buttons.
3. go to your garage door opener and press the "learn" button
4. go back to your car and press the button that you previously selected for about 2 seconds, and repeat a few more presses. Should take it by no more than 4th press.
5. done

I read some posts about Chamberlain giving repeaters and other attachments to make this work, well this same procedure worked with my '99 RX so can't imagine that any firmware update on newer units would not work on our Lexus'. Just remember that with roaming codes, you need to press the learn button on the garage door opener itself.

Last edited by AlexusAnja; 12-27-13 at 09:18 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Homelink Not Working with Chamberlain/LiftMaster Security+ 2.0