RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

O/D Mileage on a New 2012

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 03:17 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O/D Mileage on a New 2012

What would you except, and what is the average miles you would except on delivery of a new 2012 RX350?

I just read were someone bought a new 2012 w/ 350 miles on the O/D.

I say....... that is BS, and I feel it's used not new.

Your thoughts please
Old 12-01-11, 03:29 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

David probably bought a demo car from them.

I ordered my from the factory and waited 3 months. I told them I would not accept anything more than 10 miles. In my experience, 10 miles is enough for them getting the car from the factory to the truck, to the port, to the other port, to the truck, to my dealer.
Old 12-01-11, 04:23 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
David probably bought a demo car from them.

I ordered my from the factory and waited 3 months. I told them I would not accept anything more than 10 miles. In my experience, 10 miles is enough for them getting the car from the factory to the truck, to the port, to the other port, to the truck, to my dealer.

10 miles max. would be ok.
Old 12-01-11, 06:37 PM
rxsuperman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't some mileage (<20 miles) attributed to track testing after rolling off the assembly plant as well as test drive by dealership technician as part of inventory acceptance process?
Old 12-01-11, 06:42 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes some milage is int he testing as well as in the shipping. The dealer also took mine for a 'shakedown" run to make sure everything was working properly. Mine had just under 40km/ 25 miles on it when I got it. I consider that to still be new.
Old 12-01-11, 09:16 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

I had 8. Very acceptable. I think I got a very good car.
Old 12-01-11, 09:21 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

C'mon guys........these vehicles will go 150k miles without a problem, and we are worrying whether it has 10 or 20 miles on it? My RX had about 5 miles on it when we bought it, and the salesman drove it from San Antonio to our home (about 50 miles) to deliver it to my wife on the Monday after we bought it. Does this make it used because someone else put the miles on it? Of course not.

When I bought my 2006 IS 350 it had 170 miles on it as it was shipped in from out of state and the sales exec from the original location used it for one weekend. It had all the plastic on the seats and was as new. It had all the equipment I wanted (including ML) and at a price I thought was fair. So should I have rejected it out of hand for being used? I think we get all hung up on this mileage thing. As long as it was not used for extended periods as a demonstrator and is pristine in and out it really makes no difference whether your vehicle has 5, 10 or 25 miles on the clock. You might feel better if it has 1 or 2 miles on it but in the end it makes no difference, it's a new vehicle.
Old 12-01-11, 11:45 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think there are really two issues that can affect delivery condition. The first issue is miles on the car. Mine had 9 miles; which is about what it takes to get the car to you unused. I noticed that it had eight on it after the initial dealer prep when it was received. They put a mile on it prepping it for my delivery. The second issue is how long it was on the dealers holding lot before you purchased it. Mine spent four months on the dealers offsite storage lot before I purchased it. I didn't realize it until after I purchased the car, but it is something that I will be more careful about on my next purchase.
Old 12-02-11, 06:42 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

My car had 125km on it. Canadian built RXs are ALL driven around the test track for 5 or 6km (2-3miles) and some are given a longer test as a quality control measure. I am sure that the Japanese built cars are run through the same routine. Since there are only 35 Lexus dealers spread out across Canada, dealer trades are sometimes necessary to get a customer the car they want without waiting for the plant to build it. I'm sure most Canadian RXs have some mileage on them when delivered. I wanted my car right away before the plant went down this spring because of the tsunami so I knew that it would have some mileage on it since it had to come over 100km from another dealer's store. It was only two weeks old so it hadn't sat around in storage though.
Old 12-02-11, 06:56 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had 12 on mine. The dealer sent it out for tinting so that put on a few. I'm OK with any miles up to 25. I guess when you spend that kind of money and it's new you want to cherish every mile.
Old 12-02-11, 07:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
C'mon guys........these vehicles will go 150k miles without a problem, and we are worrying whether it has 10 or 20 miles on it? My RX had about 5 miles on it when we bought it, and the salesman drove it from San Antonio to our home (about 50 miles) to deliver it to my wife on the Monday after we bought it. Does this make it used because someone else put the miles on it? Of course not.

When I bought my 2006 IS 350 it had 170 miles on it as it was shipped in from out of state and the sales exec from the original location used it for one weekend. It had all the plastic on the seats and was as new. It had all the equipment I wanted (including ML) and at a price I thought was fair. So should I have rejected it out of hand for being used? I think we get all hung up on this mileage thing. As long as it was not used for extended periods as a demonstrator and is pristine in and out it really makes no difference whether your vehicle has 5, 10 or 25 miles on the clock. You might feel better if it has 1 or 2 miles on it but in the end it makes no difference, it's a new vehicle.
I agree Evitzee, people are too hung up on how many miles on their new cars. As long as I know the car havent been abused, the milage doesnt really matter. I had one new car that had really low mileage but had many problems afterward and another new cars that had hundreds of miles on it and no problem what so ever after 3 to 4 years.
Old 12-02-11, 07:44 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree Evitzee, people are too hung up on how many miles on their new cars. As long as I know the car havent been abused, the milage doesnt really matter. I had one new car that had really low mileage but had many problems afterward and another new cars that had hundreds of miles on it and no problem what so ever after 3 to 4 years.
It's mostly psychology especially when people spend $45-50K on a new car, they pay attention to all these details. For a CPO vehicle, I am sure plus or minus 500 miles wouldn't matter to the buyer. Again, it's psychology.
Old 12-02-11, 11:22 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree Evitzee, people are too hung up on how many miles on their new cars. As long as I know the car havent been abused, the milage doesnt really matter.
Originally Posted by rxsuperman
It's mostly psychology especially when people spend $45-50K on a new car, they pay attention to all these details. For a CPO vehicle, I am sure plus or minus 500 miles wouldn't matter to the buyer. Again, it's psychology.

Trouble is what your telling me here is your assuming 50- 80-100 miles are not abused miles, but you can't guarantee that.

I remember in the 70's, I stopped at a Pontiac dealership for a oil change. The kid backed my car out on the service bay and laid a stripe of rubber across the parking lot.
Needless to say, that was a free oil change, and the kid was fired.

Also, these dealerships, how can they offer a test drive in any car on the lot, having the customer put on 25 hard miles, then sell them to us new.

Not to me they wouldn't.
Old 12-02-11, 11:41 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the problem is if the car has more miles than 10, it could mean multiple people sat in the driver seat to do a test drive. That means excessive wear on the leather seat. Also you have no idea what goes on in the test drive. People may like to floor it to get a feel of the power.
Old 12-02-11, 11:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
Trouble is what your telling me here is your assuming 50- 80-100 miles are not abused miles, but you can't guarantee that.

I remember in the 70's, I stopped at a Pontiac dealership for a oil change. The kid backed my car out on the service bay and laid a stripe of rubber across the parking lot.
Needless to say, that was a free oil change, and the kid was fired.

Also, these dealerships, how can they offer a test drive in any car on the lot, having the customer put on 25 hard miles, then sell them to us new.

Not to me they wouldn't.
Most dealers have demo cars for test drive, I personally try to stay away from those.

There is no guarantee in life, even if your car only have 10 miles on it, it could have been abused by the drivers at the dock or the dealer's parking lot attendent. As long as the car is not a test drive car, show room car or dealer's executive car, I am ok with it.

Quick Reply: O/D Mileage on a New 2012