RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote start option

Old 11-29-11, 06:42 AM
py0413
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote start option

Hi guys,

So I was searching about the remote start feature for our RXs and found that actually Lexus offers such option. I then sent an email to my local dealer asking about the price and availability. They had replied to me saying that such option doesn't exist. I am confused as I have seen other posts about having the factory remote start installed. The guy at the service/parts department refered me to a local shop that can install an after market system for the RX. I did not like that because I simply don't want to carry another remote with me. Plus having someone other than the Lexus technician working on my car can be pretty risky.

My question is does anyone know if an after market can be programmed or combine in just using the factory key fob? I know that viper offers a system that can be programmed and operated by using a smartphone, however, the feedbacks are mostly negative as I ran the research.

Any thoughts or suggestion?

Thanks guys.
Old 11-29-11, 06:53 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

It's an option. Not sure if the dealer can install it but would be surprised if they couldn't since if something goes wrong with it they are able to repair the thing. I have it on mine but it came with the car from the factory. It's a $495 option. Ask a different dealer.
The following users liked this post:
Solid770 (08-17-21)
Old 11-29-11, 07:36 AM
mstrgator
Driver School Candidate

You can buy the lexus kit at Sewell with instructions for installing. It is real Lexus. Your dealership is not on top of things but I have dealt with some of those. There are others. If you have a mechanic you trust I would not have a problem with non-lexus installation. But if someone can read then surely Lexus techs can do it. You can see the detailed instructions on sEWELL WEBSITE. I can't remember price but it's likley less than facotry installed--check sewell.
Solid770 (08-17-21)
Old 11-29-11, 07:44 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

$176.90 w/ CL discount. Instructions are here: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/pdf/PT39848091.pdf

Eric
Solid770 (08-17-21)
Old 11-29-11, 08:17 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The factory one is brutal. Dealers words, not mine. It has a very short range but if you just want to start the vehicle it will work. I opted for the Viper with smart start. I paid $495 installed with module here in Winnipeg. It will be installed in mid december. Yes there really iis almost a 6 week waiting time around here as everyone here has one.

I looked at the Drone but when all was said and done I got the Viper.
Solid770 (08-17-21)
Old 11-29-11, 08:48 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The Lexus remote start is program to shut off the car every time you enter the car, you need to restart it to drive off. That and the short range make it not worthwhile. The only advantage is that it can be activated from the Lexus key fob. I would ask around, there are better options out there and some can utilized the Lexus key fob as well.
Solid770 (08-17-21)
Old 11-29-11, 09:02 AM
py0413
Driver

Thanks for all the quick replies guys! Really appreciate them.
Old 11-29-11, 09:07 AM
py0413
Driver

Does that mean you have to buy both the viper remote starter kit plus the viper smart start kit to make the system work along with a smart phone? Also, somewhere I read that an annual fee or monthly fee applies to a system like this. Is that true? I better stop by one of the shops here in my town and get more info about the remote starters.

Originally Posted by InRBigness
The factory one is brutal. Dealers words, not mine. It has a very short range but if you just want to start the vehicle it will work. I opted for the Viper with smart start. I paid $495 installed with module here in Winnipeg. It will be installed in mid december. Yes there really iis almost a 6 week waiting time around here as everyone here has one.

I looked at the Drone but when all was said and done I got the Viper.
Old 11-29-11, 09:10 AM
py0413
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
The Lexus remote start is program to shut off the car every time you enter the car, you need to restart it to drive off. That and the short range make it not worthwhile. The only advantage is that it can be activated from the Lexus key fob. I would ask around, there are better options out there and some can utilized the Lexus key fob as well.
Is there a brand/system you would recommend? I would really love to know a system that works with the Lexus key fob as this will be my first choice. Having to operate the remote starter system on a smartphone is my second choice.

Thank you,
Old 11-29-11, 10:01 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

The Smart Start and Drone are both smartphone apps with a subscription fee. It works out to about $70/year. It pays for the cell time that the unit uses to communicate with your phone.

I bought a 5501 Viper carstarter and then purchased the gps enabled smart start module that gets installed with the starter. I will have full use of unlocking the rear door, doors and starts the car from the remote that comes the starter or from my phone. You can purchase a less expensive one that will only use your phone if you dont want the extra remote. All the security features are retained.

The smartstart will allow me to unlock, start and stop the car, check on where it is via gps and many other features via a smartphone. You can also use your computer to access the same information.

Range is up to a mile. Here if you park in a lot and go into a building, 30' woiuldnt cut it. I can start my cars when I leave and they are semi warm when I get to them a few minutes later. What is the point of starting a car from 30' away? If you are going to wait in the house then you could have just walked out start it and go back inside.

Check out www.viper.com/smartstart
Old 11-29-11, 10:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by py0413
Is there a brand/system you would recommend? I would really love to know a system that works with the Lexus key fob as this will be my first choice. Having to operate the remote starter system on a smartphone is my second choice.

Thank you,
I am not really a remote starter kind of guy, I believe the best way to warm up the car is by driving it. My RX450h came with the factory remote starter option, we hardly ever use it. Having a Hybrid with a remote starter is sort of counter productive.
Old 11-29-11, 12:05 PM
py0413
Driver

Ok. So I just made my trip to a local bestbuy and learned some numbers I need to know about remote engine starters. The sales guy told me if I like to have a smartphone operated system the cost will be $299(viper 2-way remote starter) + $100 (bypass module) + $40(labour for install the bypass module) + $399 (viper smart start module). That is $840+ 12%tax and an annual fee of $45 will apply. After knowing that I am probably not interested anymore.
Old 11-29-11, 12:35 PM
py0413
Driver

Originally Posted by InRBigness
The Smart Start and Drone are both smartphone apps with a subscription fee. It works out to about $70/year. It pays for the cell time that the unit uses to communicate with your phone.

I bought a 5501 Viper carstarter and then purchased the gps enabled smart start module that gets installed with the starter. I will have full use of unlocking the rear door, doors and starts the car from the remote that comes the starter or from my phone. You can purchase a less expensive one that will only use your phone if you dont want the extra remote. All the security features are retained.

The smartstart will allow me to unlock, start and stop the car, check on where it is via gps and many other features via a smartphone. You can also use your computer to access the same information.

Range is up to a mile. Here if you park in a lot and go into a building, 30' woiuldnt cut it. I can start my cars when I leave and they are semi warm when I get to them a few minutes later. What is the point of starting a car from 30' away? If you are going to wait in the house then you could have just walked out start it and go back inside.

Check out www.viper.com/smartstart
Did you need a so called bypass module because our vihecles are too new? I was told such a device is needed and they want $100 for this piece. I was quite shock with the price quote I got from bestbuy. Instead of paying nearly one grand for the remote starter, I rather have the money spent on a nice set of winter tires and suffer my *** in freeze for 10 mins every time I get into the car. @@
Old 11-29-11, 01:44 PM
Art3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, my new RX came with the remote start - $429 on the sticker - and it works just fine.
Old 11-29-11, 05:53 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

I have the bypass module as well. It is what allows the starter to work around the factory alarm, locks and theft systems. You need it as well as the module for the GPS unit for the smartstart. I got my labor for free as a friend owns a shop but paid for all the parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote start option