RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2012 RX 350 with navigation is it worth the extra $$$

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-11, 07:04 PM
alanadler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the NAV on my 2011 RX-350 and it is ok, but a Garmin actually has a better display and more features, plus you can input a destination in a Garmin while moving (ie a passenger could do it for safety). The built-in NAV won't even allow a passenger to input information while in motion. Also they take away the mirror compass when the NAV is installed which is a big minus. Other items such as dashboard readout of your radio station, CD, etc. are also removed. On any new Lexus I would opt not to have the NAV system.
Old 11-21-11, 07:43 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

If you want the most bang for your buck, I think buying a 2010 or 2011 pre-owned model with nav is more cost effective than buying a 2012 new vehicle without nav (assuming you would like to have the nav at minimal cost).
Old 11-21-11, 07:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
If you want the most bang for your buck, I think buying a 2010 or 2011 pre-owned model with nav is more cost effective than buying a 2012 new vehicle without nav (assuming you would like to have the nav at minimal cost).
Going with that same train of thought, a used Toyota Highlander with a navi is even more bang for the buck.
Old 11-21-11, 09:37 AM
kartah
Driver School Candidate

I gotta say, TomTom's are great and I used one for the last 8 years or so because I didn't have one in my last Lexus. I still think that the technology in TomTom's are better and more advanced than the built in Nav on the RX (Can't find some of my friend's address). Having said that, I still got the built-in Nav because I didn't want to have to put up the Tomtom every time I need to use it. It's nice to just get in the car and have it right there, no extra wires hanging around or worry when I might hit a bumpy road and the Tomtom falls off.
Old 11-21-11, 10:02 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default The difference

The stand alone NAV systems have some neat features we don't in the built in system such as the ability to measure true speed against your speedo or tell what your current elevation is above sea level. But they're dedicated to being just a well-featured NAV system, not the radio/AC control/car feature control and all the stuff built into the one in the car. I miss my Magellan but given a choice of built in or hung on, I'd take the Lexus system any day with all the stuff built into it plus the remote control.

Originally Posted by kartah
I gotta say, TomTom's are great and I used one for the last 8 years or so because I didn't have one in my last Lexus. I still think that the technology in TomTom's are better and more advanced than the built in Nav on the RX (Can't find some of my friend's address). Having said that, I still got the built-in Nav because I didn't want to have to put up the Tomtom every time I need to use it. It's nice to just get in the car and have it right there, no extra wires hanging around or worry when I might hit a bumpy road and the Tomtom falls off.
Old 11-21-11, 10:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

And dont forget the added resale value of the Navi option. If you trade in your car every 4-5 years, you will get at least 25% of the cost of the navi back .
Old 11-21-11, 11:02 AM
kartah
Driver School Candidate

@ Cruiter and Gman, I agree. Which is why "Navigation" was one of the requirements when I was shopped for my RX. But I still love my Tomtom with life time maps and life time traffic.
Old 11-21-11, 12:08 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kartah
@ Cruiter and Gman, I agree. Which is why "Navigation" was one of the requirements when I was shopped for my RX. But I still love my Tomtom with life time maps and life time traffic.
We have a Garmin as well, we keep it in the car just in case we need to find some POI while we are on the road and dont feel like stopping.
Old 11-22-11, 03:02 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
We have a Garmin as well, we keep it in the car just in case we need to find some POI while we are on the road and dont feel like stopping.
I have one of the original Garmin Nuvi 660's (back when they cost $800!!!). I have the Navigation in my 450h but since I purchased lifetime maps from Garmin, I always take it with me on trips. Getting the updates every 3 months has been helpful. I just program my route and then turn it off and throw it in the door pocket. I then use it to find POI's along the way if needed. It is also nice that I can do my trip planning on my laptop and then transfer it to the Garmin. Using the two together has worked well for me. I will probably get the Navigation system on any future vehicles that I purchase, but the updates will have to be considered on a case by case basis.
Old 11-22-11, 02:33 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Going with that same train of thought, a used Toyota Highlander with a navi is even more bang for the buck.
Yes, but a Toyota Highlander is no Lexus RX. My wife drove a new Highlander and we both commented on the overall plasticy feeling of the interior, then we drove over to the Lexus dealer and when you opened the door it was like night and day. Utility vs. Luxury.
Old 11-23-11, 12:58 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, get both the Nav and HID headlights, I doubt you will regret either.
Old 11-24-11, 07:05 AM
kiedoy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replys...lots of good points from everyone!!! I must say this a awesome forum!!!

Thanks,
Kiedoy
Old 04-04-14, 08:32 AM
teddoro
Driver School Candidate

Default RX350 Navigation System

I don't think the navigation system is worth the extra money. I'm a new owner of a Lexus RX350 and every time I put in a destination I get a route through every back road imaginable. It seems it does every thing possible to avoid any interstates and the fastest route. If I'm on an interstate it wants me to get off and go back to the back roads. And since it comes with a 500 page owners manual that makes it harder to comprehend. If I really want to go somewhere that I'm not familiar with I'll use either my Garmin, or Android phone with Google Maps or WAZE. When I had it on I found it to be a distraction and now travel with it off. I love the car and all the other features. For me, I wish Lexus/Toyota would come up with something more user friendly.
Old 04-04-14, 11:52 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by teddoro
I don't think the navigation system is worth the extra money. I'm a new owner of a Lexus RX350 and every time I put in a destination I get a route through every back road imaginable. It seems it does every thing possible to avoid any interstates and the fastest route. If I'm on an interstate it wants me to get off and go back to the back roads. And since it comes with a 500 page owners manual that makes it harder to comprehend. If I really want to go somewhere that I'm not familiar with I'll use either my Garmin, or Android phone with Google Maps or WAZE. When I had it on I found it to be a distraction and now travel with it off. I love the car and all the other features. For me, I wish Lexus/Toyota would come up with something more user friendly.
try these instructions:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8458180-post111.html
Old 04-04-14, 11:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

We have, luckily, had excellent results with ours. Would definitely buy it again. I assume there's a great deal of variability depending on where you live and use it.

Quick Reply: 2012 RX 350 with navigation is it worth the extra $$$