RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Built Quality Difference Between Japan and Canada

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-16, 03:29 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Lexus was built in Japan and made in Japan seems to have less problem , Japanese quality is their 1st priority unlike American ya I'm racist so ? What ya wanna say ?
The following users liked this post:
Robb79 (03-08-21)
Old 07-11-16, 10:28 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

all three of the rx`s iv`e owned were built in canada and i had no problems. i think some people worry about this way too much.
Old 11-19-17, 08:59 AM
carloantho
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX350 built in Japan

I understand that the japanes quality control and martials are beter in Japan than any other country. I will appreciate you expert opinion.
Robb79 (03-08-21)
Old 11-19-17, 10:20 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

We made sure ALL of our Lexus vehicles we bought are made in Japan. This will be more difficult now. Lexus will tell you it's all the same high quality.......but I believe I should get the highest quality possible. This means "Made in Japan" as far as Lexus is concerned.

As far as I know, the RX 350 and the RX 450h are MOSTLY, IF NOT ALL MADE NOT IN JAPAN ANYMORE. The RX series are now made in Canada. We bought our 2013 RX450h which I believe was the last model year the RX's are made in Japan. The CT, LX, RCF, GX, GS, GSF, and the LC ARE STILL made in Japan, as far as I know.

You can ask the sales manager to call up all the current new RX inventory in the USA and look for VIN # that begins with "J" for made in Japan.

Originally Posted by carloantho
I understand that the japanes quality control and martials are beter in Japan than any other country. I will appreciate you expert opinion.
Old 11-20-17, 05:51 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
You can ask the sales manager to call up all the current new RX inventory in the USA and look for VIN # that begins with "J" for made in Japan.
And new cars will have country of origin on the window sticker and on a separate sticker on the rear driver side window. At least my local Lexus dealer does.
Old 11-20-17, 07:00 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Automation: Robotics has taken many of the human to human variations out of production.
Statistical variation: For a mass producer, this is very important. Lexus monitors this closely.
Preassembled sub-systems: These bring equality.
Cost/savings: Companies would tend to make choices based on this factor. [providing jobs locally should not be overlooked]

Sober consideration:
When you buy new, you can doubt the Lexus Sales people assurance of statistical variations based on place of assembly, but when buying used the care/use/abuse should be front and center of the discussion.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 11-20-17 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-20-17, 03:43 PM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe the RX plant in Ontario and ES plant in Kentucky are the only cars sold by Lexus that are assembled outside of Japan.

What I believe is more important than where final assembly is done is where the parts are made, and the quality standards of the parts.

The NUMMI experiment Toyota and GM did in the 80's proved that if you maintain high standards and give your people the power to fix things they see wrong, you can pretty much build cars and parts wherever you want (as we can see with Toyota parts now being made outside of Japan.)

A part of the success of the Fremont plant was that many of the parts that they did not make were imported from Japan, with the Toyota rules for quality control and fixing problems when they are identified being strictly enforced.

One lesson GM learned from NUMMI is that you have to have everyone on board when it comes to quality. When they attempted to implement the same methods at their other assembly plants they quickly ran into multiple problems with respect to attitudes of the managers, and more importantly, the quality of parts from the GM supply chain and the management of these parts plants. Even in cases where there was a desire to improve things, the GM culture almost always got in the way.

Last edited by tus; 11-20-17 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-20-17, 07:50 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by carloantho
Based on?

If there's a meaningful difference I'd think it would show up in reliability ratings. What do they say versus opinions of random internet commenters?
Old 11-20-17, 08:04 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes, I realize that. But in order to do what you suggested, one will need to PHYSICALLY GO to EACH VEHICLE and LOOK at the side window sticker.

The way I suggested, all you gotta do is ask the salesman at a LEXUS DEALERSHIP to pull up ALL CURRENT INVENTORY IN USA and also ANY INBOUND (ON AUTOTRANSPOTERS OR SHIPS) THAT ARE UNSPOKEN/UNRESERVED YET (Also the ones still on the assembly line getting put together). All can be done without PHYSICALLY going OUT TO ANYWHERE in the comfort of a NICELY decorated Lexus dealership while sipping on a latte!!! Once a target vehicle is identified, THE NEGOTIATION BEGINS.😀😀😀😀

Originally Posted by kgbagent1
And new cars will have country of origin on the window sticker and on a separate sticker on the rear driver side window. At least my local Lexus dealer does.
Old 11-20-17, 09:19 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Discussion in this thread should be about 3rd gen RX, which os no longer being produced. Hence I inferred the search is for used vehicle.

Salim
Old 11-20-17, 10:56 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Ok. True. It is still WAY easier to be sitting at the sales team members desk and ask him/her to pull up it's inventory and look for VIN # that begins with "J"........ If the OP is looking for a "made in Japan" Lexus......

Originally Posted by salimshah
Discussion in this thread should be about 3rd gen RX, which os no longer being produced. Hence I inferred the search is for used vehicle.

Salim
salimshah (11-21-17)
Old 11-21-17, 07:26 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I would not hesitate to own a Canadian built RX. In fact, the Ontario plant has been rated higher than the Japan plants for the lowest number of defects:

Toyota Receives Top Plant Quality Award
Toyota Motor Corporation's Cambridge South, Ontario, Canada (TMMC) plant, which produces the Lexus RX, receives the Platinum Plant Quality Award for producing models that yield the fewest defects or malfunctions. Plant quality awards are based solely on defects and malfunctions and exclude design-related problems.

Two sister plants receive the Gold Plant Quality Award in the Asia Pacific region. Toyota's Kyushu 1, Japan plant produces the Lexus CT and RX; Toyota's Kyushu 2 plant produces the Lexus ES, IS, and RX. In the Europe and Africa region, Porsche AG receives the Gold Plant Quality Award for its Leipzig, Germany, plant, which produces the Porsche Cayenne and Panamera.
http://www.jdpower.com/cars/articles...-study-results
Old 11-23-17, 03:20 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

I am firm built in Japan is better quality.
Robots or not, Japanese have very special work attitude. And that meme transfers into quality. Not saying you won't get a dud. Happens. But, overall, built in Japan is built in Japan.
Better off, built in Japan FOR Japanese market ONLY. Now THOSE are great cars. Look at Toyota Crown. What a grand car.
Robb79 (03-08-21)
Old 11-23-17, 03:55 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

IF THERE ARE TWO IDENTICALLY OPTIONED USED RX's on the lot, one is made in Japan and the other is made in "elsewhere", I take the "made in Japan" (even if it costs 10% more. More than 10%? I'll look ELSEWHERE!!!). This is NOT likely ANYMORE bc most BRAND NEW RX's are made outside of Japan now.

Originally Posted by JDR76
I would not hesitate to own a Canadian built RX. In fact, the Ontario plant has been rated higher than the Japan plants for the lowest number of defects:

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/articles...-study-results
Robb79 (03-08-21)
Old 11-23-17, 03:57 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Me too 😀😀😀😁😁

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
I am firm built in Japan is better quality.
Robots or not, Japanese have very special work attitude. And that meme transfers into quality. Not saying you won't get a dud. Happens. But, overall, built in Japan is built in Japan.
Better off, built in Japan FOR Japanese market ONLY. Now THOSE are great cars. Look at Toyota Crown. What a grand car.

Quick Reply: Built Quality Difference Between Japan and Canada