RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Built Quality Difference Between Japan and Canada

Old 10-21-11, 10:54 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jamiec
Having spent some time in Japan, their approach to their work and the quality of their work is amazing. For them it's not just a job it's personal and they want to produce the best product they can. If only their work ethic could be found more often in the US.......
So do you not think that same work ethic at the Japan RX assembly line is replicated at the Canada RX assembly line? Or are you saying that the same vehicle coming out of the Canada assembly line is of a lower quality than the vehicle out of the Japan assembly line and yet still be able to minimally pass the Lexus quality inspection? In other words, can the stringent manufacturing process offset any mindset/work ethic differences between the Japanese and the Canadians?
Old 10-21-11, 11:00 AM
jamiec
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not saying that at all, especially since my car was manufactured in Canada. I was comparing Japan to the US, guess I should have included Canada in my comment. Having owned many American made vehicles, I just don't think the quality and work ethic are as strong here in the states. This is one of the main reasons I chose to go with a Japanese vehicle. By the way, when I was there two years ago the RX was not sold there.
The following users liked this post:
Robb79 (03-08-21)
Old 10-21-11, 01:06 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I also would only want my Lexus from Japan.

I think the Japanese culture has a lot to do with it. Not to say Canadians or Western people dont work hard, but there is something about the Japanese people in general in that they convey a sense of pride and workmanship. Its not just cars either because when I grew up (and I still do this), I look for the Japanese made rice cooker, or anything Japanese. You spend a bit more for piece of mind.
This may have been the case before, but here recently Toyota/Lexus have taken a huge hit on their "workmanship" with all the recalls. I know the Camry is built in KY, but Lexus Japan had recalls as well. On the flipside, I trust the Japanese more to fix the problem correctly and quickly.
Robb79 (03-08-21)
Old 10-23-11, 04:08 AM
Sixtyplus
Driver School Candidate

Another way to tell where it was buit is to listen to navagation prompts. If command ends with Eh .... Canadian!!!
Old 10-23-11, 04:57 AM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default Eh?

Originally Posted by Sixtyplus
Another way to tell where it was buit is to listen to navagation prompts. If command ends with Eh .... Canadian!!!
Funny.

I hope we don't have to explain this to our non-Canadian friends.
Old 10-23-11, 09:33 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I insisted that my RX was built in Japan. I would not even consider a Canadian built one. If everyone recalls, the bumper clip issue I believe was a Canadian Plant problem. That being said, I believe that each plant has a different set of suppliers and that can make a difference as well.
Old 10-23-11, 09:49 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Canadian versions, like the Japanese ones are still 'grade eh'

They have a strict process they follow. A family friend used to deliver parts to that plant - all the management in canada was Japanese and essentially the workforce was canadian...
Old 10-23-11, 07:02 PM
lapdrn
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

buy japanese made RX
The following 2 users liked this post by lapdrn:
Robb79 (03-08-21), Seabone726 (04-10-20)
Old 10-24-11, 05:22 PM
gladiator9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obama says buy North American! Canadian built RX's are as good as the Japanese RX's.
The front fender gap problem existed with both Canadian and Japanese models.
You can even go on a tour of the Canadian plant.
Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-24-11, 07:39 PM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Default 3 generations of RX

The first two were Japan built. A couple of minor issues after a few thousand miles. The 2010 is a Canadian build. To say the least I am not happy with the overall quality. Rattles are everywhere. Ride is okay, not as good as the gen 2. Paint quality is only fair at best. Saw a 2011 Vet yesterday that puts the RX paint to shame. Cabin finish is excellent.
Old 11-15-11, 04:55 PM
kwbuggy
Driver

Default Not my choice

Originally Posted by Evitzee
RX350's with some specific options, Heads Up Display comes to mind, ONLY come from Japan so if you want/have these special, upgraded, options your RX350 will come from Japan.

I don't think it makes that much difference in practical terms but if two identical RX350's were coming off the trailer at your Lexus dealer and the only difference was one was made in Canada and the other in Japan, which would you pick if the dealer turned to you and said, 'which one do you want?' I think almost all of us would pick the one made in the home country, 'just because'.
I picked the one made by my neighbours in Cambridge. Quality is just as good and I'd rather keep Canadians working.
Old 11-15-11, 05:18 PM
kwbuggy
Driver

Default Tour the Canadian plant please

I hope that some US RX owners take the Cambridge, Ontario plant tour that Lexus offers. After taking this tour in October I can't see how human errors can enter into the manufacture of our RXs. Almost all of the heavy work is done by robots, imported from Japan, and the work done by humans is very closely inspected throughout the process, often by QC staff from Japan. JD Power ranks both the Canadian and Japanese plants the highest in the world. Any design flaws, such as the firmer ride of the 3rd generation, are the same on cars from either plant. Rattles have many causes, including all the junk some people stuff in their cars. I can't see how one plant could make cars that rattle more than the other when both of them are using exactly the same machinery and processes to manufacture them.
Old 11-15-11, 11:56 PM
mtlrx350
Driver School Candidate

Mine is Japanese, and should get it later this week. Got the HUD option that I'm dying to play with.
Seabone726 (04-10-20)
Old 11-16-11, 06:42 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Not sure how many have seen this clip but it's a good 5 minute watch:

Old 11-16-11, 01:01 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Video. I would love to tour the plant next time I am out east.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Built Quality Difference Between Japan and Canada