RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Who puts plastic mats down on the floor of your RX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-11, 06:42 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used Exact clear mats in my vehicles for several years and they are extremely wear worthy and saves the carpet. Even use them in the cargo area. No slippage and no wear on the carpet but yet you can see the beautiful new carpet beneath.
Old 10-20-11, 08:42 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright, I'm just going to keep the original mats in there and not do any add-ons; I will replace if needed. I am trying not to get obsessive about my RX and keeping it perfect but I just noticed yesterday that there are some creases in the leather driver's seat that are not occurring on the passenger seat so I will now be looking for a leather conditioner or I expect in worse case scenario I could replace the seat.
Old 10-21-11, 07:28 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for reminding me to switch from the carpet mats to the OEM plastic mats for winter.
Old 10-21-11, 12:12 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by djkidkris
I see what you did there... LOL

I'm planning on getting weathertech liners as well for winter. I live 5 mins from where the manufacturing and factory showroom facility is located hopefully there is some kind of discount hehe.

FYI If anyone is planning on replacing their OEM mats, Sewell has closeouts on black 4pc carpeted set ($40) and gray cargo carpeted mat ($20) on closeout for 3RXs.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/closeout.html
Thanks for this tip ... I just picked up a set.
Old 10-21-11, 12:54 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The X Men
The oem floor mats are suppose to protect the carpeting underneath and you guys have aftermarket mats protecting the oem mats that is suppose to protect the carpeting. Where does the layer of protection ends?
I think it ends with the aftermarket mats (although I just ordered a set of Lexus mats to protect my original Lexus mats). For me it is not about protecting the mats ... or saving the mats for later ... or the cost of the mats. I like to keep my interior clean and I can just take the top level of protection off when it is not needed. This allows me to drive around in a perfectly clean car with perfectly clean carpeting/mats. If people are riding with me, I can just put down mats and I don't have to worry (and my passengers do not have to worry) about anything. Logically, the plastic mat coverings some owners are using would be even better from a clean point of view. But, in the past I have found that plastic reduces the luxury vibe in the car. Not everyone will care about keeping their car this clean ... the standard mats will be fine for them.
Old 10-21-11, 01:25 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UCSB
Thanks for this tip ... I just picked up a set.
Ditto for me too. I picked up an extra set so that in the winter I can pull out the wet and frozen ones to wash out in the basement and use the 2nd set while the first set dries.

Now if only the damn car would come.... LOL.
Old 10-21-11, 02:50 PM
RXSF

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

the RXh has differently designed floor mats, just a warning.
Old 10-21-11, 03:46 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
the RXh has differently designed floor mats, just a warning.
Are you sure about this ... Sewell is using the same part number for black OEM mats on both the 2010 RX350 & 450h? I will report back after I receive them.
Old 10-21-11, 04:24 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The X Men
You are not suppose to stack the floor mats.
Good point ... Toyota would not support stacking mats and common sense would recommend not stacking mats if you can not keep track of their position. They can not get in front of your gas pedal or tangled up with the gas pedal and become a hazard. It is not an issue for me, but I would agree that for many people it would be bad idea. For example, I would not stack mats in my wife's car.

EDIT: After going out and looking at the clearances on the mats and pedals, I would say stacking mats has about a zero chance of being a problem in the RX. The clearances are just to great. I have owned cars, like my Lexus SC, where it would be an issue because of the lack of space around the pedal.

Last edited by UCSB; 10-22-11 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-21-11, 06:31 PM
gladiator9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you live in the north where winter weather can be hard on the floor mats, it is a good idea to put in the carpet saver mats that hold the water and help to keep salt from the roads and gravel out of the carpets. I regularly shampoo the mats and they come out looking great.
Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-21-11, 08:41 PM
RXSF

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by UCSB
Are you sure about this ... Sewell is using the same part number for black OEM mats on both the 2010 RX350 & 450h? I will report back after I receive them.
That is what my dealer told me because I bought my plastic mats from them and while they had ones for the RX350 in stock, they had to order me the ones for the 450h
Old 10-21-11, 09:41 PM
grt62
Driver School Candidate

I went through Sewell Lexus and ordered the rubber floor mats and the rubber trunk mat for my RX 450h. With the Club Lexus discount, the prices were quite reasonable. I put the rubber trunk mat right over the accessory trunk mat, but took out the stock carpet floor mats before putting down the rubber mats. The carpet mats stored nicely in the rubber floor mat shipping box. I put down the rubber floor mats well before the winter weather sets in. This may sound a little obsessive, but it will keep all of the carpet mats in great shape, without having to put major effort into cleaning them after they are dirty and salt encrusted.
Old 10-23-11, 08:41 PM
huanhb
Driver School Candidate

I purchased rubber floor mats for my gf's RX350 as well. Of course I didn't stack them on top of carpet mats, just put them in storage. my gf and her girls spill water and all kind of stuff in car so that would be a good protection.
Old 10-24-11, 04:57 AM
Cruiter

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It's a nice car. If somebody was that careless consistently, they'd be riding in another car consistently

No disrespect for your GF or daughters but ..... Respecting your property seems in order. Just me
Originally Posted by huanhb
my gf and her girls spill water and all kind of stuff in car so that would be a good protection.
Old 10-24-11, 09:07 AM
huanhb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
It's a nice car. If somebody was that careless consistently, they'd be riding in another car consistently

No disrespect for your GF or daughters but ..... Respecting your property seems in order. Just me
yeah I do keep my car pretty clean but that's her car, I can't do much. That's why I put rubber floor mats to at least make it easier for cleaning up.

Quick Reply: Who puts plastic mats down on the floor of your RX?