RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Valet Parking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 11:15 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

^So valet parking fixes the inconvenience you mean. Are they liable if they scratch something coming out from you vehicle? Considering the valet driver has to get out of the car too.
Old 08-23-11, 03:22 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by happy1977
^So valet parking fixes the inconvenience you mean. Are they liable if they scratch something coming out from you vehicle? Considering the valet driver has to get out of the car too.
Let's be clear on this!
valet parking/establishment has ZERO responsibility. Let me say that again. ZERO. So if the valet attendant hit a pedestrian with your car, your insurance company will pay for it and not the restaurant or the mall who offered the parking.

If the car get ticketed..guess again who's paying for the ticket. YOU.

So whether it's the Lexus or the Toyota that we drove. I don't use valet.
I come a little early to find a self park area.

Risk so far outweighs the benefits of Valet. And you'll be paying/tipping the valet attendant anyway so you're really not saving anything.
Old 08-23-11, 08:39 PM
gladiator9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never use valet parking however on some past occasions when I left my vehicle for service, i noticed that I was missing some of my installed cd's. Unfortunately I was not sure when exactly they disappeared. I could not accuse anyone or garage not knowing when exactly they were missing. I don't always listen to cd's but I know that I had 6 loaded when I took the vehicle there for service????
Anyone else have this happen?
Jim
Old 08-23-11, 08:41 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

There is many sides to this coin and I'm pretty much on the fence, but here is another opinion (not legal opinion).

The law generally does not allow you to waive liability for damages caused by your own negligence. If this were possible, then every business could just post a generic waiver of liability for everything they do, and customers would never have any recourse. Courts have universally held that such a scheme cannot really work, and customers need protection.
Old 08-23-11, 09:40 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Originally Posted by gladiator9
I never use valet parking however on some past occasions when I left my vehicle for service, i noticed that I was missing some of my installed cd's. Unfortunately I was not sure when exactly they disappeared. I could not accuse anyone or garage not knowing when exactly they were missing. I don't always listen to cd's but I know that I had 6 loaded when I took the vehicle there for service????
Anyone else have this happen?
Jim
That's why I don't leave things on the vehicle when it's in service. You can not prove who took what. If it happens, it's basically the owner's fault.
Old 08-23-11, 09:43 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Originally Posted by markrivers
Let's be clear on this!
valet parking/establishment has ZERO responsibility. Let me say that again. ZERO. So if the valet attendant hit a pedestrian with your car, your insurance company will pay for it and not the restaurant or the mall who offered the parking.

If the car get ticketed..guess again who's paying for the ticket. YOU.

So whether it's the Lexus or the Toyota that we drove. I don't use valet.
I come a little early to find a self park area.

Risk so far outweighs the benefits of Valet. And you'll be paying/tipping the valet attendant anyway so you're really not saving anything.
Amen to this. Even if I have to walk a distance, I will never have any valet park any of my cars.
Old 08-25-11, 12:16 AM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've personally witnessed valets get into accidents outside of busy downtown clubs. Do you think they told the owners? In fact, they both sped off in different directions so that no one could catch a plate # to warn the owners of the vehicles. Which tells me, not only have they done it before, but they have a procedure in place when they do.

I self park. I'd rather go through the inconvenience of parking and walking a distance than having to go through the hassle of claiming that on my insurance, plus after repairs your carfax is dinged and it lowers the value of your vehicle when you go to sell or trade-in.
Old 08-25-11, 07:19 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not saying my youngest son ever did anything wrong or took anything (I believe him that he didn't) but he did a stint of Valet Parking at a professional building in Atlanta where some pretty high powered people brought their cars. Lexus was probably the median type car and went up through the Porsche and Ferrari etc., lines. They (the kids doing the parking) did like to play with the cars, inspect the glove boxes, trunks, take naps in, and of course see what they could discover in the ash trays . He would tell all kinds of stories.

So just be aware that while your away ....... Stuff happens !!! Opportunities are sometimes like hormones, just not always controllable.

Originally Posted by SDLexus
I've personally witnessed valets get into accidents outside of busy downtown clubs. Do you think they told the owners? In fact, they both sped off in different directions so that no one could catch a plate # to warn the owners of the vehicles. Which tells me, not only have they done it before, but they have a procedure in place when they do.

I self park. I'd rather go through the inconvenience of parking and walking a distance than having to go through the hassle of claiming that on my insurance, plus after repairs your carfax is dinged and it lowers the value of your vehicle when you go to sell or trade-in.

Last edited by Cruiter; 08-25-11 at 07:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-25-11, 08:15 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I've passed on attending functions where they only have valet parking available. I'm not saying my RX is better than other vehicles out there, it's certainly not the most expensive, but it's mine. I don't worry when the dealer has it though. They'd have to answer to my SA if anything happens
Old 08-25-11, 10:35 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Personally, it's not about how much the car cost, but what the valet driver can do with your car and what YOU as the owner of the car is responsible for.

You might be driving a 15 yr old $600 car, but if the valet driver got into a multiple accident.. and even a loss of life.. you BETTER pray that you have a Bodily Injury Limit of $100,000 per person/ $300,000 per accident or HIGHER.

so as for us, it was a matter of principle.. Walk a few blocks and have a peace of mind.

and by the way, Jay Leno who has more than a couple of cars.. with most of them being exotic DO NOT let any Valet park his car.
Old 08-25-11, 07:56 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I remove the key and hand it to the valet.
Old 08-25-11, 10:18 PM
ecub
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to assume that even though they (valet) get in an accident with your car and you have to pay, you can turn around and sue them. It's like if someone borrows your car and they also get into an accident. Your insurance pays for it, but then you would have your friend pay you for the damages.
Old 08-26-11, 09:38 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ecub
I would have to assume that even though they (valet) get in an accident with your car and you have to pay, you can turn around and sue them. It's like if someone borrows your car and they also get into an accident. Your insurance pays for it, but then you would have your friend pay you for the damages.
Although this is America where everyone can SUE anyone, it's not a guarantee that you will win.
Next time you do valet, read the fine print on the claim stub they give you.. Or better ASK the supervisor what their liabilities are.
Old 08-26-11, 01:10 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Or even ask for their 'CURRENT' insurance certificate .

Or just park where you can do the parking and not worry about it
Originally Posted by markrivers
Although this is America where everyone can SUE anyone, it's not a guarantee that you will win.
Next time you do valet, read the fine print on the claim stub they give you.. Or better ASK the supervisor what their liabilities are.
Old 08-26-11, 02:00 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

if you guys have 15 minutes of Less..
this is a Fun Read..

i underlined the more important clauses.
Now, i'm not an attorney nor a para legal but handing them your keys is an " agreement" to these terms and condition.

Terms & Conditions

CHADSTONE’S VALET PARKING TERMS & CONDITIONS

CHADSTONE’S VALET PARKING VEHICLE RECEIPT COUPON TERMS & CONDITIONS UPON WHICH VALET PARKING AND ITS AGENTS ACCEPT A MOTOR VEHICLE.

1. Chadstone’s Valet Parking (hereinafter called “Valet Parking”) and its servants, agents and contractors (together hereinafter called “Agents”) whilst acting in terms of their engagement, will not be liable for the loss of the motor vehicle (hereinafter called “the vehicle”) or for any damage thereto, or for the loss of, or damage to, any of the vehicle’s accessories or contents, howsoever any such loss or damage may be caused whether by the negligence, or otherwise, of Chadstone Valet Parking or any of its Agents; or by negligence or otherwise of any person acting with, or without, the authority of Chadstone Valet Parking or any of its Agents. The terms and conditions shall apply when VALET PARKING or any of its Agents accept the vehicle and whilst the vehicle is parked, or otherwise in custody, retention or control of VALET PARKING or its Agents.

2. The Agents of VALET PARKING have no authority to accept any goods for safe custody and neither VALET PARKING nor its Agents will be liable in any case for loss of, or damage to, any articles alleged to have been left with VALET PARKING or its Agents for safe custody howsoever such loss or damage be caused.

3. Notwithstanding any demand or request to the contrary, VALET PARKING or its Agents may move and drive the vehicle to such places as CHADSTONE VALET PARKING or its Agents deem fit during any period of custody, retention or control by VALET PARKING or its Agents.

4. VALET PARKING or its Agents may deliver the vehicle to any person producing this voucher or offering such other evidence of ownership or authority or entitlement to receive the vehicle as VALET PARKING or its Agents deem satisfactory. VALET PARKING or its Agents may retain the vehicle until this voucher is produced or until so satisfied. VALET PARKING or its Agents will not be liable for any loss of, or damage to, the vehicle or any of its accessories or contents, caused by delivering the vehicle to some person not authorised to take delivery.

5. VALET PARKING and its Agents shall have a general lien upon, or the right of retention of, the vehicle or any of its accessories or contents until all sums due for parking and/or other services rendered by VALET PARKING and its Agents have been paid. Parking charges will be payable in respect of any period of retention.

6. No Agent of VALET PARKING has power to vary these terms and conditions; and no representation by an Agent may be deemed for any purpose whatsoever to vary the terms and conditions hereof.

7. A person using CHADSTONE’S Valet Parking, by so doing, hereby represents and warrants that such person is either the owner of the vehicle and agrees to be bound by the terms and conditions or is duly authorised by the owner of the vehicle to bind such owner and themselves by these terms and conditions.

8. A person using CHADSTONE’S Valet Parking, by so doing, also warrants and agrees with VALET PARKING and its Agents that such person and/or the owner of the vehicle shall be liable for and shall indemnify VALET PARKING and its Agents in respect of any legal liability, loss claim or proceeding whatsoever arising out of any statute or at common law irrespective of: (a) damage to, or loss of, the vehicle, its accessories or contents, or (b) personal injury to, or death of, any person whomsoever, or (c) any injury or damage whatsoever to any real or personal property, insofar as such injury or damage arises whilst the vehicle is in the custody, retention or control of VALET PARKING and its Agents or whether the same is due to the negligence, omission or default of VALET PARKING and its Agents.

9. No time or other indulgence granted by VALET PARKING or its Agents shall adversely affect the rights of VALET PARKING or its Agents under these terms and conditions or at common law.

10. VALET PARKING and its Agents, in their absolute discretion, reserve the right to retain the vehicle if the person collecting the vehicle in accordance with clause 4 appears to be under the influence of alcohol or any other substance.

Last edited by markrivers; 08-26-11 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Valet Parking.