RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3M Protection Film...Full Body

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-11, 12:23 PM
ecub
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
LOL.....Zaino is expensive??? after spending $5000 to shrink-wrap your car? The key words with Zaino, and it can't be stressed enough, is "USE SPARINGLY". It says it all over every one of their bottles of product.
I want to get the best bang for the buck. Expensive, doesn't always mean the best. And having spent $5000 to protect the car, I want to make sure it lasts.

Besides, I mentioned the prices not only for my benefit, but for others. There are allot of people who have the clear bra and probably do not want to spend allot of money to maintain it.

Last edited by ecub; 08-14-11 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-14-11, 12:59 PM
ecub
Driver

In addition, I also saw mention of PF1, which looks even more expensive. I'm liking DP's Plex-all, since it's a cleaner AND polish.
Old 08-14-11, 08:59 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, to each their own, but spending 10% of the vehicles price to essentially shrink wrap it in plastic sounds like it is taking things a little too far. It's a nice vehicle, but it is no Ferrari or Lambo. It's a vehicle to be used and enjoyed, not babied like some sort of work of art. $5,000 bucks will pay for a lot of detailing and touch up work over the car's life. It's your money so if you are happy with it that's great, it's always interesting to see what people do to their possessions.
Old 08-14-11, 09:19 PM
ecub
Driver

I actually baby it allot less now, since I don't have concerns about scratches and such. I doubt very much $5000 will cover the life of the car, especially for anything above minor touch up work. With the film, it even takes allot less to maintain the film, compared to without it.

But it is true, to each their own. I'm sure allot of people will spend allot more money on extra options they don't need. Like your Carbon Fiber trim w/ Momo Combat Evo shift **** and ground effects on your '06 IS 350?
Old 08-14-11, 09:22 PM
ecub
Driver

I started another thread regarding maintain/protect the protection film, called "How do you maintain your 3M Clear Bra".
Old 08-14-11, 10:02 PM
stw2046
Driver

Does insurance cover the wrap if car is wrecked???
Old 08-14-11, 10:26 PM
ecub
Driver

Originally Posted by stw2046
Does insurance cover the wrap if car is wrecked???
That's a good question. I'll ask and find out if it's covered. I guess if they cover mods, then they should cover PPF.
Old 08-15-11, 03:37 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"shrink-wrap your car", yep, that's what it is. Is this your first Lexus? If so, enjoy.
Old 08-15-11, 04:14 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ecub
That's a good question. I'll ask and find out if it's covered. I guess if they cover mods, then they should cover PPF.
Yes, insurance will pay for the replacement of any clear bra applications. I do a lot of work for bosy shops and the insurance companies are the one I provide the estimate to.
Old 08-15-11, 08:33 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

You better keep that receipt. I have a feeling any insurance claim with $5,000 worth of protection film is going to raise red flags.
Old 08-15-11, 09:01 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Let's see, how many other options could I choose to invest $5K with a higher ROI?

To each his own, sure, a fool and his money soon parted...
Old 08-15-11, 09:22 AM
ecub
Driver

Not my first Lexus. I owned an '02 ES300 (Totalled in '04) and an '03 ES300 (Traded in for RX450h). Both were Pre-Owned.
Old 08-15-11, 09:36 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Car wrap value

1st of all, if I want something bad enough, I generally figure out how to pay for it then get it. But if it's more than a normal expense I spend a lot of time evaluating and justifying the cost. That said the final decision belongs to the person writing the check.

But if it were me, there are a couple of things I'd consider prior to spending that much for basically a shrink wrap. One is you can repaint the entire car top to bottom for that and not an Earl Shibe job either but a good one. A 2nd consideration would be the added cost of repair if you had to figure even a new bumper or quarter panel. I seriously doubt the insurance company would pay for that, they have standard rates for all cars and repairs. Custom mods are generally not included unless it was mentioned prior to the coverage and spelled out in the policy.

But there again the values is in the eyes of the beholder. More than one person told me I was nuts for laying out $299 for lifetime Sirius radio. Well at the current monthly charges I've long since passed the break even so ....

Just some thoughts. Gosh, I remember when my parents used to get a new car and suddenly these samples from 'Fingerhut' seat cover company would arrive in the mail to cover those fancy cloth patterns. How many of you are old enough to remember that. I do and remember riding in the back seat with my arms and legs glued to that dammed clear plastic cover crap in a car w/o Air Cond.

Hey, maybe that's what they're coating cars with now . Sorry, that was tacky
Old 08-15-11, 09:42 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cruiter
1st of all, if I want something bad enough, I generally figure out how to pay for it then get it. But if it's more than a normal expense I spend a lot of time evaluating and justifying the cost. That said the final decision belongs to the person writing the check.

But if it were me, there are a couple of things I'd consider prior to spending that much for basically a shrink wrap. One is you can repaint the entire car top to bottom for that and not an Earl Shibe job either but a good one. A 2nd consideration would be the added cost of repair if you had to figure even a new bumper or quarter panel. I seriously doubt the insurance company would pay for that, they have standard rates for all cars and repairs. Custom mods are generally not included unless it was mentioned prior to the coverage and spelled out in the policy.

But there again the values is in the eyes of the beholder. More than one person told me I was nuts for laying out $299 for lifetime Sirius radio. Well at the current monthly charges I've long since passed the break even so ....

Just some thoughts. Gosh, I remember when my parents used to get a new car and suddenly these samples from 'Fingerhut' seat cover company would arrive in the mail to cover those fancy cloth patterns. How many of you are old enough to remember that. I do and remember riding in the back seat with my arms and legs glued to that dammed clear plastic cover crap in a car w/o Air Cond.

Hey, maybe that's what they're coating cars with now . Sorry, that was tacky
Vinyl covered furniture! And pillows too! Great point about a new paint job being cheaper!
Old 08-15-11, 09:44 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ecub
Not my first Lexus. I owned an '02 ES300 (Totalled in '04) and an '03 ES300 (Traded in for RX450h). Both were Pre-Owned.
Maybe the shrink-wrap would have prevented the '02 ES from being totalled?

Quick Reply: 3M Protection Film...Full Body