RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Suggestions on trash container and sunglass holder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-11, 07:30 PM
ecub
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on trash container and sunglass holder?

ok, since some of us who have "SOS" button, where the sunglass holder is, I was wondering if you have found an alternative to a holder. I know I can get those little clip on visor holders, but I don't really want to have those little indentations in the visor. Of course, if there are no other alternatives, then I may have to. I once had one of those little plastic holders that hang on your rear view mirror, that can hang you sunglasses, but I can't find those.

Also, have you found a nice garbage container, small enough to fit under the console in that little opening?

EDIT:
Measurements for the opening at the bottom of the center console:
Length: 9 1/2"
Width: 7 1/4" (shortest point) - 8 1/4" (longest point)
Height: 3 1/2" (shortest point) - 6 1/2" (tallest point)

Measurements for center console compartment:
Length: 6 1/2"
Width: 4 3/4"
Deep: 6"

Last edited by ecub; 08-02-11 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-31-11, 10:40 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I usually place them on the sunvisor, or you can use the space under the shift ****. I have a trash container that you can place behind your back rest where you just loop the velcro strap around the neck of the headrest.
Old 08-01-11, 12:22 AM
ecub
Driver

Yeah, I don't like the ones behind the back rest. Too hard to reach around. For sunglasses, I was thinking of getting those sticky pads and placing it in front of the Nav screen.
Old 08-01-11, 05:15 AM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default "Litter" Container

Yeah, I've looked around "everywhere" for one of those rigid plastic litter boxes that sit on the floor with little weighted outrigger "feet" that keep it from falling over. Haven't been able to find one - I guess they're no longer made.

I'm not a fan of fabric-type litter bags or boxes.
Old 08-01-11, 06:23 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Trash container?
The windows roll down, don't they?
Old 08-01-11, 06:55 AM
brwilli
Driver School Candidate

Sunglasses--they hang around my neck, suspended at the two ends of those cloth things that have ends that slip over the ends of the glasses and grip them. Works real well--I always have the glasses available when needed. When I go someplace to eat, I flip them around back so they don't load up with crumbs

Trash--I don't need a trash container--what trash do people generate? The only trash in our car is the occasional dirty Kleenex, and they get put in a pocket, or in the door. Those fold out door places are really built-in trash containers, aren't they?? Easy to empty when they fold out.
Old 08-01-11, 07:12 AM
EricaD
Driver School Candidate

I'm thinking about picking up one of these for my car - they're kind of cute

http://www.allysonhill.com/ (click on "Shop")

I was thinking it might fit inside the door panel area, but if not, I'll just hang it.

For sunglasses, I either use the drivers side left-side cup holder or the little left side section of the glove box to keep them in. But I live in Washington, where sunglasses are rarely, if ever, needed.
Old 08-01-11, 07:27 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

I love the sunglass holder on my '04 RX, and noticed that it was gone on the new model. Just rode in a new Audi A6, and it has the holder above the mirror just like the RX used to, and that's a pretty high end car. My SC, of course, has no such place, being a convertible, so I use the center console and do not find it a problem, and you really need sunglasses in a convertible. I'm not sure what my point is here, or even if one is required, but the lack of the handy holder above the mirror is pretty low on my list of things that **** me off.
As for the trash bags, I agree that the allysonhill bags look very, very nice, and it's interesting that we will gladly pay $20.00 for something pretty that does the job of the free bag you get at the grocery; that's why we are different from the beasts of the field.
Old 08-01-11, 09:58 AM
EricaD
Driver School Candidate

So true, tfischer! But the way I see it, an ugly brown plastic safeway bag looks just as bad as the trash that goes in it, lol, so I want my trash hidden in a pretty accessory and am willing to pay $20 to get it. After all, if you amortize that $20 over decades of car use (since the bag can be used forever and moved from car to car), it's a pretty cheap way of keeping the car looking nice inside - no more of my daughter's sticky fruit leather wrappers stuffed into the cup holders, or ugly plastic grocery store bags at our feet.

I'm thinking Eiffel Towers for my car, and soccer ***** for the hubby's Prius, and do I NEED the matching kleenex cozy? I think I might...
Old 08-01-11, 11:03 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ecub
Yeah, I don't like the ones behind the back rest. Too hard to reach around. For sunglasses, I was thinking of getting those sticky pads and placing it in front of the Nav screen.
That's what I did for my sunglasses.
Old 08-01-11, 03:49 PM
happy1977
Instructor

I put the trash on the passenger side so I can just reach behind it, not hard at all. There's hardly anyone riding with us on the backseat so the idea of it hanging behind the backrest keeps the look of clutter free.
Old 08-01-11, 04:05 PM
yahj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my sunglasses fits perfectly inside door handle.

Suggestions on trash container and sunglass holder?-img_0644.jpg

Last edited by yahj; 08-01-11 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-01-11, 11:41 PM
happy1977
Instructor

^That's one small sunglass.
Old 08-02-11, 04:39 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Using sticky pad also. Let me know if anyone find a better trash bag than the link above, That one looks too girly. :-p
Old 08-02-11, 08:43 AM
EricaD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
Using sticky pad also. Let me know if anyone find a better trash bag than the link above, That one looks too girly. :-p
Not if you're a girl!

PS - I think she does a plain black one. That's quite macho, methinks.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on trash container and sunglass holder?