RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-09-15, 10:31 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Xenondepot 4300K Philips Xtreme HID Kit FOGS Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11, 08:27 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts

That is a lot of glare coming off those fogs. I hope you only use them when it's foggy out.
Old 09-07-11, 10:32 PM
howardha98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djkidkris
I finally got around to taking better pics before the thunderstorms started rolling into Chicago!

I got my 2011 RX350 Memorial Day weekend I have been slowly modding all the lights and eventually got the courage to replace my fogs with an HID conversion kit myself. I was really looking to replace the boring stock yellow halogens and match as best as possible with the OEM HID headlights while keeping the brightness. Not knowing much about HID conversion kits I came to the conclusion that I should either go with 4300K or 5000K. After much research and reading tons of posts here on CL I decided to go with the 4300K Philips Xtreme HID conversion kit from Xenondepot. I went with Xenondepot primarily because of the great feedback from many forums and I went with the Philips bulbs because I felt that it was worth the extra loot to get reliable bulbs plus Steve mentioned many times on posts that the color temperature matches best with the OEM bulbs and would reach to 4700K.

Installation:
Installation wasn't terribly difficult since it is pretty much plug and play as advertised. It took me a little bit under 2 hours to get everything installed (I know I'm a n00b). The hardest part was figuring out where to mount the ballast and then mounting the ballasts in place. I didn't take any pictures of the installation because honestly there isn't that much room and I didn't have the patience. I just found places that I could zip tie the ballast to securely and tried to hide and manage all the cables. I went through the top to install the fog lights since I didn't want to bother taking apart the bottom side covers.

Conclusion:
They match with the headlights really really well. They have a slight tint of stock yellow to them but overall pure white. I rather have it that way than to get more blue. Since the fogs are in reflective housing they are super bright! The light scatters (as expected) and some of the light reflects upward. I ended up trying to aim them as low as possible. There were ***** next to the fog light assemblies that I was able to turn with my fingers (I assumed this aimed the fogs). I think it helped a little bit but not much. Thanks to Xenondepot and Steve! Great product and great customer service!
Hi Kris;
I just bought my RX350 and really am really interested in how you install your Xenon conversion kit on your SUV.. I'm grateful for your answers:
a. Where do you hide those ballasts in RX350 ?
b. Do you have step by step pictures of how you install the Xenon HID conversion kit?
Thank you very much
Howard
Old 09-08-11, 09:17 AM
djkidkris
Driver

Originally Posted by howardha98
Hi Kris;
I just bought my RX350 and really am really interested in how you install your Xenon conversion kit on your SUV.. I'm grateful for your answers:
a. Where do you hide those ballasts in RX350 ?
b. Do you have step by step pictures of how you install the Xenon HID conversion kit?
Thank you very much
Howard
Howard,

Sorry I don't have any installation pics since I was sort of in a hurry to get them in and I didn't bother to snap pics. Here is a good DIY post though that a lot of people referenced. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...d-fog-diy.html

a. I didn't mount the ballasts in the same place as the DIY. I just tried to find the most flat areas in the engine bay where I can zip tie the ballasts securely. I didn't use the 3m double sided tape provided but maybe I should have in hindsight just to ensure that that ballasts are secure.

b. As for instructions I just followed the instructions that came with the kit. KBcarstuff.com does a good job with providing pretty clear instructions and has great support from Steve. I installed everything through the top and not the bottom only because I didn't want to remove the covers on the underside. Its pretty tough to mix up the connectors because they only fit to where they are supposed to be connected to. I also connected the relay to the battery which I've read may be optional.

tips:
  • I'd get extra zip ties so that you can keep the cables and wires organized and clean
  • Use the gloves and do not touch the bulbs
  • disconnect the negative terminal from the battery while installing just to be safe however this resets your radio presets and some of your settings
  • Make sure you have additional tools to unscrew any bolts or screws to ground the relay. The relay can be grounded to any metal part of the engine bay but be sure it is secure.

Good Luck!

*oh yeah and the obligatory disclaimer-I'm not responsible for any damage that may occur. This thread is for informational purposes. Do at your own risk.
Old 09-09-11, 09:43 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks Kris! Glad you're enjoying your Xtreme HID kit =)

Steve
Old 01-08-12, 12:43 AM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

^Steve, what's the difference between Xtreme HID 6500k and 6000K Volt HID besides the kelvin?
Old 01-09-12, 08:25 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hi,

There are 3 main differences between the 2 kits:

1) The Xtreme HID kit will come with a relay harness that will power the ballasts directly from the battery whereas the Volt kit relies on the OEM headlight wiring to power the ballasts. The Xtreme harness will ensure that the ballasts always receive a constant 12V as power is being drawn directly from the battery.

2) The Xtreme ballasts will be superior to the Volt ballasts as they use a German processing chip that allows the ballasts to monitor the bulb power requirements on a real time basis. This will extend both bulb and ballast life. Furthemore, Xtreme HID ballasts have a lower starting draw than the Volt ballasts. This means that they will function better if you choose not to use a relay harness.

3) The Xtreme kit comes with a 3 year warranty whereas the Volt HID kit comes with a 2 year warranty.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Old 01-14-12, 09:28 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi
is the lights your are talking about available for any RX 450h or is it for specific VIN?

thx
Alain
Old 01-14-12, 10:44 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Alain, the Xtreme HID kit is available for the 450h. It's H11 for the fog lights.
Old 01-16-12, 06:07 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Thanks for assisting Anita!

Alpy64: Our HID kits are fitment specific rather than vehicle specific. The RX uses an H11 bulb for the fog lights meaning that you would need to order an h11 HID kit. HID kits are also available in several different colour temperatures. Did you have any questions about selecting colour temperature?

Steve
Old 04-15-12, 09:12 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

looks great!
Old 04-15-12, 09:31 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OK ... time for a potentially stupid question. What is the point of upgrading the lights primarily for looks if they are so bright that other drivers hate them? I have noticed this here in my town. I've seen some really nicely matched sets of lights, but they screw up your vision for a long time and hurt your eyes ... I can never remember thinking ... wow great job ... usually what I am thinking I wouldn't want to repeat here.
Old 04-16-12, 07:18 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Where did you mount the relay and the igniters?Did you use existing ground bolts to ground the relay or drilled different holes?Did you cover the wires or not?
Old 04-16-12, 10:26 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

How well does the color match with the HID's?
Old 04-16-12, 03:35 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Here's another thread where there's more info than here, also some pics of where the ballasts were mounted.

If you guys use the search box, it'll pretty much show most of the answers you're looking for.
Old 05-09-13, 10:02 PM
rmhipo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

djkidkris, Thanks for posting these pics! I also purchased Xtreme HID kit from XenonDepot but with the 5000K bulbs to replace my stock fogs. Since I am jumping to 5000K, I also purchased 5000k D4S bulbs for my stock HID headlights. I will post up some pics once the install is completed.

Quick Reply: Xenondepot 4300K Philips Xtreme HID Kit FOGS Installed!