RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Disappointed with dealer installed DVD system

Old 07-22-11, 12:16 PM
mcsooner70
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed with dealer installed DVD system

Have had my new RX350 for less than a week. I had the dealer install "headrest dvd players". I was told since the headrest were "active" they couldn't actually be in the headrest. The DVD system I thought I was getting with nice plastic covers-- (not looking like I installed it myself), was not what I got when I picked it up at the dealership. To make matters worse day 5 of ownership, they just stopped working, won't turn on etc. I live 2.5 hours away from any Lexus dealership, but I have no choice to make an appointment and drive back up there. Does anyone out there know of any plastic covers, etc that could make this install look any better once I get them working again? Wish I could just have them taken out and get my money back, I'm sure the dealership wouldn't go for that.(pics below). Feeling really ripped off on the DVD system and install, so disappointed..... first time Lexus owner....I guess I expected more. Missing my G35 now
Attached Thumbnails Disappointed with dealer installed DVD system-rx350.jpg   Disappointed with dealer installed DVD system-rx3501.jpg  
Old 07-22-11, 12:22 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Please don't judge the car on that poorly installed DVD system. Go back and tell the dealer to take it out and reimburse you. I'm sure someone here can recommend something else. And chances are it'll be much better and cheaper.
Old 07-22-11, 12:57 PM
mcsooner70
Driver School Candidate

I know it's not the RX, it's the install, but I just had heck trying to make a deal on a Lexus, dealing with the dealerships, getting honest quotes etc. It's been very frustrating dealing with TX/OK dealers. I was upset enough when I went to pick it up after a 2.5hr drive and the DVD players looked like they did--- now they just stopped working, it's just been a real let down. I guess my disappointment is with the dealerships not the car itself. I like to handle things myself, but I may just turn it over to my husband and have him deal with it ( about just having them take them out the DVD system). I hate to admit defeat to him though ....
The forums seem helpful, at least that is a postive experience!
Thank you
Old 07-22-11, 02:43 PM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about this problem but you need to get those out right now!!!!! They look horrible and take away from the whole RX look. How much did you pay for these? I know the frustrations of buying a car and there's no worse feeling than paying for something and getting something totally different then you thought(whne I bought my last car I wanted the chrome rims instead of the silver on my car and they agreed but they ended up giving me a used pitted set). Sucks that your dealer is that far away but atleast you got a nice ride to get there!
Old 07-22-11, 02:55 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That has to be the most CHEESE-BALL installation I have ever seen. On a '86 Chevy that might work if you were desperate. I would demand my money back and let us know the Dealer so we can warn others in the forum. I am sorry you had to experience that.

I hope you enjoy your RX.

Last edited by MEP7557; 07-23-11 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-22-11, 03:18 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

WTF!!??!! That looked like an amateur installation.
Old 07-23-11, 12:09 AM
krypttic
Pole Position

I don't know why people install these anymore (unless they're really cheap). You can get two iPads and headrest mounts for less.
Old 07-23-11, 02:18 AM
604hagarr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it me or does those brackets look like they have rust on them?
Old 07-23-11, 07:24 AM
timlrx11
Driver

Wow! it does not look like professional installation...

Someone at this forum did a much much better job than that and for much less I am sure. Take a look at this link.

Hope you will get your money back.
Old 07-23-11, 08:35 AM
mcsooner70
Driver School Candidate

Hoping to call the dealership Monday and see if I can get them to take them out and refund the money- they only worked for 5 days anyway. I paid wayyyyy to much for it to look like that and already need a visit to the dealership. I just know they won't refund ithe money willingly. I called sewell parts to verify what kind of systems would work with the 2011 Rx's because of the "active" headrest feature. They verified that you could no longer take out the existing headrests and replace them with new ones with dvds in them because of the safety feature. The one shown on sewell parts website, still look way better than what I have and they are cheaper. I like the ipad idea and we have 2, but not being able to use dvds would be an inconvience on the road- redbox is always nice. Do you hardwire the chargers into the ipad holders? Not wanting to have wires running everywhere and having to plug it in. Of course it would probably look better than what I have now! I could have bought cheap 50.00 dvd players at Walmart and strapped them on my headrest, might have looked just as bad, but it would have been soooooo much cheaper. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach the dealership about the situation?

Last edited by mcsooner70; 07-23-11 at 08:47 AM. Reason: added something
Old 07-23-11, 02:17 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tell them either replace a brand new better systems or full refund. Can't accept the system that was only last 5 days + time to drive back and forth.
Old 07-23-11, 06:43 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would show them this thread on the forum. It shows you are not alone and if they don't take care of you that you will post their name and the way it was handled. You also might want to contact Lexus and let them know what these people are doing. I think it gives the brand a bad name.
Old 07-25-11, 01:13 AM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mcsooner70
Hoping to call the dealership Monday and see if I can get them to take them out and refund the money- they only worked for 5 days anyway. I paid wayyyyy to much for it to look like that and already need a visit to the dealership. I just know they won't refund ithe money willingly. I called sewell parts to verify what kind of systems would work with the 2011 Rx's because of the "active" headrest feature. They verified that you could no longer take out the existing headrests and replace them with new ones with dvds in them because of the safety feature. The one shown on sewell parts website, still look way better than what I have and they are cheaper. I like the ipad idea and we have 2, but not being able to use dvds would be an inconvience on the road- redbox is always nice. Do you hardwire the chargers into the ipad holders? Not wanting to have wires running everywhere and having to plug it in. Of course it would probably look better than what I have now! I could have bought cheap 50.00 dvd players at Walmart and strapped them on my headrest, might have looked just as bad, but it would have been soooooo much cheaper. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach the dealership about the situation?
You can plug the iPads into the 12V receptacle and snake the wires right up the seat seams (where the plastic meets the leather) and it's nearly invisible. That being said, I've never been on a long enough trip to need a charger since the battery lasts over 8 hours anyway.

I don't rent DVDs since my son always watches the same movies over and over. Nevertheless, DVDs are very easy to rip and put on the iPad now. Plus, even though you may be sacrificing DVD playback, you get so much more: web browsing, picture albums, games, etc. I find this a much better value for the money--plus you can take it out when you leave the car (although this is also a minor annoyance, due to theft concerns).
Old 07-25-11, 01:24 AM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

i used to work at a lexus dealers....and i'm sorry to say that is a poor install and wire tuck...most dealers have a outsource company come to install this stuff, so whomever they hired...really sucks....go back and have them take it off and do a better install or just take it off period. sorry to hear man. hope it all works out.
Old 07-25-11, 10:11 AM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

We have the ipad with the headrest pouch/holder and to be honest it still doesnt look professional but it gets the job done and we only paid $40 for the holder. The only problem with the ipad idea is you run a huge risk of having your car broken into if you ever leave them on your headrests when parked. It's not a huge deal to take it out but when you got kids, strollers and diaper bags it could easily be forgotten. An ipad would take literally seconds to steal and be just as easy to sell.

Keep your cool msooner when talking to them and if that doesnt get anywhere work your way up the food chain. Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disappointed with dealer installed DVD system