RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rolled down Hill in Park 2011 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-11, 04:54 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For those who live close to a hill, can you make a test? Park your Lexus and put the gear in Park. Do not put the emergency brake on and let the engine run. Don't step on the brake. See if the car moves.

My driveway has a very slight incline towards the street. I will try this too.
Old 06-09-11, 07:35 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys, i saw lot of crazy comments in his facebook link above. He lost the car (may be his fault or may be not, who knows). Why don't we just wish him luck or just keep it in silence instead of mocking him? Sooner or later if one of us gets into any messed up situation, we wouldn't want to hear these things. Agree?

PEACE.
Old 06-09-11, 07:56 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

One of our friend's wife did grocery shopping and park her big Denali suv in the driveway. She forgot to put it in neutral and the car started rolling downwards. She got pinned against the hedge by the side of the driveway. The big suv stop but was still pinning her against the hedge. It was winter, quite cold. She was shouting and hollering. After about two hours, a neighbor heard her cries and came to her rescue. She is okay but what a harrowing experience. And because she forgot to park the car properly.
Old 06-09-11, 08:05 AM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
Guys, i saw lot of crazy comments in his facebook link above. He lost the car (may be his fault or may be not, who knows). Why don't we just wish him luck or just keep it in silence instead of mocking him? Sooner or later if one of us gets into any messed up situation, we wouldn't want to hear these things. Agree?

PEACE.
those are constructive criticism
Old 06-10-11, 03:29 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Having seen a automatic transmission's Park pin (which locks the drivetrain in place) fail before, this is not that far fetched. Is it likely? No. However, I will wait for further information before passing judgment.
Old 06-10-11, 01:52 PM
eeugene
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While ago I started this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-4th-gear.html

And I did not see understanding on this forum. Actually Lexus and dealer did not agree with me as well. May be here is related transmission/engine problem.

I can not ride steep downhill on my RX350 to breake by engene on 2nd gear - it revs and RPM goes up to 4000 - 5000.
On any other car it would be 2500 RPM and all you need - just sometimes easy touch brakes.

Regards
Eugene
Old 06-10-11, 06:39 PM
depanp
Driver School Candidate

Well thanks all, you may believe me or not, but I know I put in park, there is no way on my hill I could even get out the car if it was in neutral, plus walking in front of it would have ran me over...not possible.... I'm not scamming anyone, this is what happened.

Sweetboy02 thanks
Old 06-10-11, 07:16 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by depanp
Well thanks all, you may believe me or not, but I know I put in park, there is no way on my hill I could even get out the car if it was in neutral, plus walking in front of it would have ran me over...not possible.... I'm not scamming anyone, this is what happened.

Sweetboy02 thanks
IMHO, you're scamming yourself even if you did have it in park which is questionable. And because you said you didn't and don't use the parking brake, you don't appear to practice common sense. Do you have a clue why it's even there ??? And like others have said, point the tires to the curb.

Sorry, but you started this thread. I'm just glad that you or someone else wasn't hurt.
Old 06-10-11, 07:22 PM
ilovemaui
Driver School Candidate

Why not use the parking brake when parking on a hill? Hell, I always use the parking brake even inside my flat garage. There is a reason they call it a "parking brake". No offense intended.
Old 06-10-11, 11:57 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you drive a stick often, you will always use the parking brake. Force of habit
Old 06-11-11, 04:43 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by depanp
Sweetboy02 thanks
Depanp, Lexus legal department has send you a letter containing their findings as to your accident. I am sure you have received this letter. Will you post or summarizie what they said.
Old 06-11-11, 07:48 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
Why not use the parking brake when parking on a hill? Hell, I always use the parking brake even inside my flat garage. There is a reason they call it a "parking brake". No offense intended.
Originally Posted by wyau01
If you drive a stick often, you will always use the parking brake. Force of habit
Since I live in a relatively flat part of the U S of A, I rarely, if ever, use the parking brake and probably used it most in those cars with the hand lever rather than the pedal. It seemed like water and salt rusted the cable and as infrequently as I used it, it would rust in place. So using it, it would invariably stick.

My other "bad" habit is occasionally slamming the car into park when not coming to a complete stop. OUCH!! I'm pretty sure most of the cars I've owned putting them in park locks them in place. I just did it by accident in my 450 the other day. That split second of grinding is oh so painful.
Old 06-11-11, 05:10 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been wondering about a slightly different issue that I've been noticing about my 2010 RX. I have no hills where I live, but whenever I pull into a parking spot and put the gear in park and turn off the car, the car will either roll forward a little bit or backward a little bit depending on the incline. And when I say incline, the incline would be very minimal that you probably wouldn't notice that there's even an incline. I don't recall this happening so often in my '07 RX. I may have to try parking the '07 whenever I go to visit my brother and his wife, since his wife is now driving the '07.

It's kind of funny 'cause when this is happening simultaneously with the driver's seat going back after turning off the car and removing my seatbelt, it makes me dizzy with the rocking motion of the car going forward or backward. I was wondering if any of you guys, particularly in non-hilly areas, experience this when you go to park your RX.
Old 06-11-11, 08:22 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
I've been wondering about a slightly different issue that I've been noticing about my 2010 RX. I have no hills where I live, but whenever I pull into a parking spot and put the gear in park and turn off the car, the car will either roll forward a little bit or backward a little bit depending on the incline. And when I say incline, the incline would be very minimal that you probably wouldn't notice that there's even an incline. I don't recall this happening so often in my '07 RX. I may have to try parking the '07 whenever I go to visit my brother and his wife, since his wife is now driving the '07.

It's kind of funny 'cause when this is happening simultaneously with the driver's seat going back after turning off the car and removing my seatbelt, it makes me dizzy with the rocking motion of the car going forward or backward. I was wondering if any of you guys, particularly in non-hilly areas, experience this when you go to park your RX.
All automatic cars roll an inch or two when placed in park. The drivetrain needs to rotate for the pin to find a tooth to lock.
Old 06-12-11, 03:17 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
All automatic cars roll an inch or two when placed in park. The drivetrain needs to rotate for the pin to find a tooth to lock.
x2, the pawl pin needs to find a tooth to latch onto.

Quick Reply: Rolled down Hill in Park 2011 RX350