RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Quick review of K&N filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-11, 12:40 AM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick review of K&N filter

I purchased the K&N high flow filter to replace the factory one.
According to the service schedule, I am due for a new engine air filter soon and I thought I might give the K&N a shot.

The reason why I was quite confident with K&N is because GruppeM (a reputable intake manufacturer) uses K&N filters for all of their intakes. Another reason is that the K&N is the only intake filter available for the RX350, with the exception of Tom`s Japan honeycomb filter, which costs close to $200US.

For less than $50, I picked up the K&N filter and decided to install it myself as well.

Installation: It was pretty easy. Pop 2 clips on the air intake box then you will see a tray that holds the OEM air filter in place. You pull that tray out and remove the OEM air filter. Then you put the K&N filter in and do the reverse to put it back into the airbox. The K&N is not as thick as the OEM.
It comes pre-oiled and to my surprise it did not come with any instruction either (not that the instructions were super important, but it was easy to figure out how to take out the filter from the intake box).

Impressions: The first day, I notice a slight improvement in acceleration or response, which may be due to the ECU`s learning curve.
The second and third day, I notice a decent improvement in acceleration and throttle response, based on the same way and style I drive.

I don`t think there are huge performance gains, but it is reasonable to estimate that there is 3-5hp gain, which is what a typical high flow air filter would deliver on many cars. Response and acceleration is definitely better, improving the car`s driveability. I am not expecting huge performance gains or go crazy with the RX350. But for $50, I think this filter is a pretty good deal for slightly better engine response on a day to day basis. Again, I can`t quantify the actual gains but the car`s response is slightly better and the car is more responsive when you want it to do. Just a little peppier but it is not something that will WOW you or impress other people.

Another thing is that this filter is reusable, meaning you won`t have to spend money on OEM one-time use only filters. All this filter needs is a K&N cleaning kit which comes with a spray cleaner and an aerosol oil applicator.

Overall, I am very happy with the K&N filter and would like to share my experience with anyone who may be interested in changing the air filter or are looking for minor upgrades for their RX.

Note: The new Sienna apparently share the same intake airbox with the RX350 and therefore K&N shows an identical part number for both vehicles.

Last edited by KI_GSE21; 06-04-11 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-04-11, 07:39 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the write up. I had one in my 4Runner and I did notice a slight improvement in performance. You will have to let us know if your MPG's improve, now a days that is more important.

Thanks again.

Last edited by MEP7557; 06-05-11 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-04-11, 08:49 AM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Will definitely try this one when it's time to replace the factory one.
Old 06-04-11, 01:36 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

I`ve had it for over a month. In terms of MPG, it remained relatively the same.
The RX saves more gas when you keep the revs under 3k, which usually shows
the green ECO symbol on the instrument panel. I noticed driving with that ECO light on help save gas. Anyhow, I did not see a drop in MPG.
Old 06-04-11, 08:45 PM
gladiator9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put one on our 2002 Thunderbird which has a 3.9 V8 and it too seemed to have a small gain in HP. Later on I ordered a device to reflash the engines computer which changes shift points, timing etc, and that also made a big difference. After putting on the K&N, I noticed a much louder intake noise under hard acceleration. Might just put one on the RX. Thanks for the information.
Cheers.
Jim
Old 06-04-11, 08:48 PM
jeffmust
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go with a K&N filter, be super careful when you use the cleaning and re-oiling kit. Many cases in the modded Mustang community (where lots of guys run K&Ns) of over-oiling it - which is very easy to do if you haven't done it before - and then the excess oil comes off onto the intake's mass air sensor and...Trouble in River City.
Old 06-04-11, 08:58 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K&N = 45 times the dirt passing through vs Paper filter.

If you live in a dusty place I would never run one.
Old 06-05-11, 12:02 AM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

gladiator9: Too bad there is pretty much nothing for ECU upgrades for many Lexus and Toyota cars. Being able to tune the car`s ECU can make pretty significant gains compared to basic bolt ons.

jeffmust: that is true. Many aftermarket intake companies are now switching over to the dry flow filters that do not require oils. There`s always a possibility that oil might get to the mass air sensor and then you are going to have trouble. I will definitely keep that in mind if I do clean the filter. Thanks for the heads up =)

tsslaporte: It`s definitely allowing more to pass through on the K&N vs the OEM filter. However, I don`t think it poses much harm to the engine as many people have ran both cold air and short-ram intake systems on various cars and have driven their cars with those aftermarket filters for many many years. However, I agree that it is not as effective in filtering by allowing more air to pass through more quickly. I guess with any performance modification, you do sacrifice something. An example would be mods that give you significant gains (hp,tq wise) leads to lower MPG with the added power to the engine. Same goes for low profile tires that give you a harsher ride and more road noise from the tires. The OEM tires are designed for comfort, fuel efficiency, and usually quiet ride.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback. CL is a great community and everyone is willing to share and discuss in a positive way. =)
Old 06-08-11, 11:25 AM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffmust
If you go with a K&N filter, be super careful when you use the cleaning and re-oiling kit. Many cases in the modded Mustang community (where lots of guys run K&Ns) of over-oiling it - which is very easy to do if you haven't done it before - and then the excess oil comes off onto the intake's mass air sensor and...Trouble in River City.

x2, this discussion is common on Nissan, BMW, and MB forums but nothing on Jeep forums. It may be good to use on older vehicles with less complex electrontics but I would be extra careful with "refreshing" the filter. It is an expensive part and dealer will not honor the warranty.
Old 06-08-11, 11:35 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can somebody tell us the model number of the K&N filter? Thanks.
Old 06-08-11, 02:25 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
Can somebody tell us the model number of the K&N filter? Thanks.
33-2443

I've had KN air filters on 05 RX and 3 other cars past 10+ yrs in the dusty desert SouthWest. No issues. Yes, very careful in re-oiling. The RX in particular is nice in that it has that carbon filter between airfilter and MAF. You REALLY have to screw up and over oil to soak the carbon filter, which then may lead to MAF issues. No mpg gain, but throttle response is much better. My spouse will not allow me to go back to stock as she likes the off line accel. THat is likely the biggest reason why we see no mpg gains.
Old 06-08-11, 06:23 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

afpj: I agree with you about the throttle response and that people are too concerned about having MAF issues. I guess RX owners are quite hesitant in general to put aftermarket parts and voiding the warranty. Many owners of the current gen ISx50 have air filters that are oiled and recharged and none of them have any MAF issues. Again, I still feel that the K&N air filter for the RX is a worthy mod.
Old 11-20-11, 07:12 AM
boss22
Driver

Anyone knows how long (or how much miles) does it last between clean up? Also how is the proper way to clean it and put the oil on? Maybe youtube?
Old 11-20-11, 09:08 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by boss22
Anyone knows how long (or how much miles) does it last between clean up? Also how is the proper way to clean it and put the oil on? Maybe youtube?
It depends on your driving condition, I use to clean it every year or 10000 miles or so. You need to buy the cleaning and oiling kit, clean the filter and oil it, let it dry over night. Make sure you dont plan on using the car that night. Whatever you do, do not over oil it or it will ruin your oxygen sensor.
Old 11-20-11, 11:35 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Just spray the oil aerosol liberally, a light coat is all you need (light, even coats, in back and forth motion) and you will be fine. +1, 1 year sounds about right, since the recommended service by Lexus is changing the air filter element every year or usually ever other oil change.

Since the K&N is reusable, you can just take it out, inspect, if it is not pinkish in colour, then that means it is time to clean. If the filter is still pinkish looking, then the filter is fine and check back at your next service. If you see some debris, you can simply take the filter out and shake those off. It really depends on your driving conditions and what not.

Quick Reply: Quick review of K&N filter