RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Xenondepot HID Kit + LEDs

Old 04-06-11, 01:31 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Squirrel spotters - this is what I found on the net

I haven't seen anything like this with RX + xtreme kit. Nothing but straight cutoff line as you can see in my pictures.
Old 04-06-11, 03:51 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

The X Men - I doubt it but would be nice :-)
Old 04-06-11, 08:31 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonDepot

The ballasts in our Xtreme HID Kit are true low draw ballasts meaning that you can safely power them directly from the OEM headlight wiring. These ballasts only draw 4.5A on a cold start. You will not experience any error codes when installing an HID kit on your vehicle.

Steve
crap, I guess I have no more excuses...
Old 04-07-11, 10:57 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

hehehe don't make us twist your arm ;-)
Old 04-08-11, 12:42 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hey,

Correct. The ballast are completely sealed :-)

Steve
Old 05-13-11, 04:35 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, I have read all of this material and I must admit that I am a bit confused. I would not call myself mechanical talented, but I do have limited ability and I would like to install one of your conversion kits for our new RX because this is the one feature that we really miss from our previous RX. Here are some of my questions:

Exactly which conversion kit do I need?

What exactly is involved in the installation? Are there installation instructions or an installation video I can view on line?

Will I have to replace the projector lenses as well? (whatever they are)

Have you confirmed that I really do not have to install the ballast or is this just a supposition on your part? If they really should be installed for best performance, do you have any recommendations where they could be placed?

Finally what will all of this cost?

Thanks in advance for your help and remember that I am just not that knowledgeable about these things so simple language will help.

Finally, if there is anyone else out there who has done this and can help me out with information or instruction, I would really appreciate it. Thanks again.

Last edited by cafpaf; 05-13-11 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-13-11, 07:28 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

^I would like to know too.
Old 05-13-11, 08:46 PM
GavinTyler
Driver School Candidate

^^^ I'll second that.
Old 05-13-11, 10:13 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

I ma no Steve, but all you guys need is H11 HID Kit. (EXtreme kit or Volt kit) No need to replace projector lenses or anything like that. RX doesn't have headlamp cover like IS, so it's true plug and play like halogen bulb. Only difference is you have to mount the ballasts which are slim and small. Now if you want to install relay (Extreme kit), you have to run the wires to the battery, but that's optional.
Old 05-13-11, 10:58 PM
GavinTyler
Driver School Candidate

Okay, pardon my ignorance on this subject. I looked at Xenondepot's site and I have some questions. JiniJazz mentioned the H11 kit, however the OEM is bi-xenon so shouldn't I get that? I noticed there is no H11 Bi-Xenon, there are other bi-xenon but they're not H11. I also checked out the difference between Extreme and Volt. So far from what I gather Volt does not have a wiring harness/ relay. What exactly does a relay do? I know it's optional but what is the advantage of having it? Price is important to me, so does anybody have any experience with Volt? It comes w/ 2 yr warranty vs 3 yrs for Extreme but it is about $80 cheaper. Lastly, is 8000k the one to get or is it too strong of a light? Thanks.
Old 05-16-11, 09:06 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

"The X Men" pretty much summed it up :-)

Essentially, you really cannot go wrong with either the Volt HID kit or the Xtreme HID kit. The Xtreme kit is our premium line though. The Xtreme ballasts will be more durable than the Volt ballasts. They also have a slightly lower initial draw, and provide you with slightly longer slack between the bulb and ballast (more flexibility in terms of mounting).

I would suggest going with an H11 4300k HID kit for the brightest and most OEM look/feel.

Steve
Old 05-16-11, 09:27 AM
GavinTyler
Driver School Candidate

Thank you X Men and Steve. My next question is on non HID RX's. Since it doesn't have bi-xenon, it means it has 2 separate bulbs for low and high beam? Is that the reason why the H11 is recommended? I guess getting a bi-xenon HID kit would be unnecessary and redundant? Does the H11 have 2 separate bulbs for low & high beam? If it's only one, is it low beam only? If that's the case, how do I use high beams? Thanks.

Last edited by GavinTyler; 05-16-11 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-16-11, 09:53 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

cafpaf,

No problem at all. Let me help you. As per your questions:

1) Your vehicle uses an H11 bulb for the low beams meaning that you would need to get an H11 HID conversion kit to upgrade the low beams on the RX to HID. I would suggest going with a 4300k HID kit to get the brightest and whitest possible output. Personally, I prefer the premium 4300k Xtreme HID kit as it uses the same technology that is found in OEM HID ballasts. You would need to get item number XT-4k-H11.

2) Installation will be plug+play (especially if you do not use the relay harnesses supplied with the kit). This harness is not necessary when installing our kit on the RX as our ballasts are true low draw ballasts. Furthermore, your vehicle's wiring is designed for HIDs as HIDs are an option on your vehicle. I would be more than happy to email you an instruction guide if you send me a PM with your email address.

3) You need a ballast. You do not need to use a relay harness. Ballasts have to be mounted within approximately 2 feet of the bulb. THey are super slim though so they can be mounted in many different places. They are completely sealed so you do not need to worry about moisture or water.

4) The Xtreme 4300k HID kit is $199.99 shipped. Upon checkout, use coupon code "CL" to save $25 on your order.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Old 05-18-11, 12:21 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

As you all can see from previous posts, Steve at KBcarstuff has been very helpful and I have been in touch with him via pm. He e-mailed the installation instructions to me so that I could read them prior to ordering. However, I find the instructions to be "basic" to put it kindly. They are merely pictures and for me at least leave a lot of questions. Steve has told me that I do not have to install the relay wiring harness and thus the Xtreme kit is installed just like the Volt kit. That is a good thing. He has told me that the black box between the ballast and the bulb is the igniter. Both wires coming out of the igniter connect to the two wires that come out of the bulb. Here is where I am really confused. According to Steve, "There are 4 wires going through the grommet that is with the bulb. 2 of the wires connect the bulb to the igniter. The other two wires are the trigger wires (Black/white wires). One end of those wires will need to connect to the car's harness (oem h11 headlight harness). The other side will connect directly to the battery." I can see nothing in the basic pictures that show that anything other than the relay wiring harness, which I don't need, requires a direct connection to the battery. I just assumed that everything would be powered directly through the existing wiring harness. So here are my questions.
1. If indeed the black and white wires need to be connected to the existing harness and the battery, how is that connection accomplished?
2. Does anyone have or can they take pictures of their installation? They would extremely helpful to me an others who consider themselves technically challenged. Particularly so when it comes to all things electrical.
3. Exactly where and how did you mount the ballast? Again, pictures would save thousands of words.

I hope that I am not being too much of a pain, but I would like to do this and I am concerned that I do not want to screw something up that can not be rectified. Again, electrical mods are of a particular concern. As always, thank you to everyone in advance for the help. I am really hoping that someone out there has pictures that they can post.

Last edited by cafpaf; 05-18-11 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-19-11, 07:35 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

X Men, that is what I thought would be the case, but that is not what Steve at XenonDepot sent to me. I am hoping that someone out there can verify this and some other things for me. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Xenondepot HID Kit + LEDs